Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Valerie Eaton Griffith / The Friends of Great Missenden Parish Church
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3543-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great Missenden in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 The Royal Navy presented this certiflcate to AlbertTomlin at the end of the FirstWorld War. Twenty -odd years later many of the next generation of Tomlins fought in the Second World War. They were in Tunisia with General Montgomery, went over to France on D-Day and served in the Bomb Disposal Unit, mainly defusing the bombs laid on our shares as a precaution against the expected German invasion. By a miracle they all came safely home. RayTomlin tells ofhis father who was in the A.R.P. (Air Raid Preeaution) which had its headquarters in Wright's yard.

One night a bomb was dropped very near in Back Lane and two cottages were demolished leaving a large hole. Ray's father looked into the hole. Everything had been obliterated except same rabbits and ferrets in their cages perched on the edge. They were unharmed.

lOThere used to be a plating factory in Great Missenden High Street called Gerhardys, where Abbey Walk is today. The Gerhardys are an interesting family who were Russian and fled the Revolution in 1 91 7. In the Second World War their skills were used in war-work, mainly plating small parts for aircraft. This picture shows some ofthe workers dressed in their proteetive clothing of rubber aprons and elbow-length gloves. (There are three Tomlins in this photograph.) Plating needs large baths of varying acids and this was not without danger. There were always

hoses with permanently running water byeach vat ready to pour over a worker should there be an explosion. To siphon acid from one vat to another workers would suck the

acid up a pipe stopping just before the acid reached the mouth. Accidents could and did happen. They were hardier times than today.

11 This is Warren Water in the grounds of MissendenAbbey.The postcard comes from the 1920s and the River Misbourne is in full spate. Today the bridge has been resto red and looks rather different. It is stilllovely but the little cascades of water where the boys are paddling are no longer visible. People who live in Great Missenden walk here and stand on the bridge looking across the river and fields to the abbey. In the 1940s Abe Brown was groundsman for the abbey when theTemple Carringtons owned it. The Browns have been woodsmen for generations and are known

all over the district. Abe was quite a disciplinarian and in the war years he used to get cross with children making rafts out of bits of wood and tin cans and floating them over the

lake to an island which formed when the river was in spate. One day as the children played naked in the water Abe took all their clothes to his hut. When the abject and drip-

ping boys came to collect them they received more than just shorts and shirts!

12 This postcard of Missenden Abbey is dated just before 1920. The original abbey was built in 1133, one year after Fountains in Yorkshire. It seems that the newly Anglicized Norman aristocracy believed they would have a better chance of reaching heaven if they built an abbey on their land. William de Missenden brought Arrouaisian canons over from France and the Abbey of St. Mary in Great Missenden was bom. The effect of the canons on the fairly isolated and simple villagers can only be imagined, but it must have been considerable. The coat of arms is that of Missenden Abbey

itself. If an abbot wished he could use these arms in combination with his own. The crosier in the centre represents an abbot's pastoral staff.

13 This is the southfacing side of Missenden Abbey in 1932. The River Misbourne runs through the grounds filling the abbey's fish ponds and the lake in the foreground of this picture. The Dissolution carne in 1538 and the abbey was closed. Eventually it becarne a large country house. One of the owners was the Carrington family and they were there until the mid-1940s when they sold the abbey to Buckinghamshire County Council to be used for adult education. The strawberry Gothic exterior in the picture is of course centuries later than the original building, but the old floors remain and

some old stones, but sadly a fifteenth-century timber roof was destroyed in 1985 by a terrible fire which gutted the inside. Fortunately it has been brilliantly restored with

vaulted corridors and coloured glass. It is easy to imagine the canons slapping their sandals as they walked on the old stone floors. In 1996 it was bought by the Bucking-

hamshire Chiltern University College, sa it is still a seat oflearning.

14 This aerial photograph of 1 93 1 shows the position of the abbey, to the foreground on the right, in relation to the village. The parish church is 300 yards to the right of the picture. The field on the left, once abbey land, was developed in the 195 Os and has been turned into a council estate built mainly for the Polish community, who came to Great Missenden around 1949, refugees from a Communist Poland. The Misbourne school was also built on this site and now accommodates over 1,000 children studying for their G.CS.E. andA Level exams.

15 This picture is of the Abbey Farmhouse in Church Street. It is an interesting fifteenth -century building in its own right but it has two particular historical features. The first is that it was probably the original gatehouse to the abbey. Mr. Pearce, the present owner, has had the rendering removed from the face and today the indication of an arch can be seen around the window to the right of the front door. The aerial view in the previous picture shows the direct line between abbey and house. Walking out of the abbey on the far side, through a then non-existent glasshouse, you come to a long dark building at a

different angle to Church Street than other houses. This is the Abbey Farmhouse. The second historical feature is a courthouse and loek-up within the building.

16 This is a 1950s posteard of what is known as the Park but was originally abbey land and then beeame land owned by the Lords of the Manor living

at the abbey. Sheep ean still be seen on these hills between Missenden Abbey and the ehureh, but nowadays a by-pass runs more or less where the fenee is

and earrying far into the village and the Chilterns Hills around.

in this picture, disturbing the peace. But the lovely church bells ring out across this land and over the village easily overcoming the sound of traffic

CM.34.

THE PARIC _ CRE6.T u. SSENDEN_

1 7 Here is St. Peter and St. Paul, the medieval parish church of Great Missenden. The postcard does not do justice to the beauty of the church, but it does show some of the changes that are inevitable with all buildings as the centuries roll by. The first priest to be called vicar was appointed in 1199 and he was a canon from the abbey. In fact there is a reference to a church here as early as 11 3 3. In these early days the abbey would have had a huge influence over the church with the chancel, choir and sanctuary being the province of the canon/vicar. He would read the gospel to the con-

gregation from high up on top of the rood screen, in Latin of course, and then give the sermon in English.

18 This is a 1926 postcard showing the font which is positioned just to the east of the tower where the bells are mng. The base and the waist band date from the twelfth century, but the bowl is a more recent replacement. (Part of the original bowl was discovered in the church in 1999.) It is one of a number of similar local fonts known as the 'Aylesbury Group'. The reason why fonts are so

of ten found towards the back of churches is because it symbolizes rnan's journey through life towards the altar and Christ.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek