Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Valerie Eaton Griffith / The Friends of Great Missenden Parish Church
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3543-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great Missenden in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

1 9 The Victoriaris carried out many alterations between 1899 and 1900 when the church was closed. This picture of around 1940 shows many of them. The box pews have gone and the present ones installed, the gallery has been removed, the chancel is more open and the north side is extended. This last was by far the most extensive alteration because it enlarged the church, changed the old cruciform shape of the building and made the main entrance on the north side, as today. The acetylene lights can still be

seen on top of the pillars, and the Victorian east window above the altar is in memory of the Carrington family, who were once Lords of the Manor.

20 Here is the tower of Great Missenden Parish Church. It shows clearly that the tower was built at two different times. The smaller more traditional square tower between the two lefi-hand buttresses is part ofthe original construction and would have stood less high than today. The later fifteenth- or sixteenth-centuryaddition extended the tower to the right and added extra height. Ta reach the bells today the ringers climb a small circular staircase through the rubble infill and enter the lower bell charnber through an old original window. Only the top storey is open space

right across giving rise to the belief that the tower was enlarged to house the bells. There is a 1603 listed bell and two new ones added in 1990, bringing the total to eight.

. ,

~~ :'f}{' s·.~.

. , . .,

I ? ~ ..' ?

, .. ~ ;) , .... ~

'" I ,

, .? '! .:..

21 Leading off Church Street, which was on ce the heart of the ancient village, is Church Path shown in this postcard. Today one of the posts can still be seen,

but the path has turned into a fully-tarmacked Church Lane and instead of winding upwards with country close on bath sides it passes over the by-

pass. But nevertheless the fields owned by Paul Pewsey of Middle Grove Farm are dearly seen. The bypass has turned Church Street, lower down in this

picture, into a cul-de-sac and it has rather isolated the old church.

22 This is Pound Cottage at the bottom of Church Path in the 195 Os. It gets its name fram the Pound that was directly behind the house. This was an

enelosure where stray animals were impaunded and owners had to pay for their release. One of the main wells in the village was here and the old

pump is on the left of the picture. Sadly the pump na langer exists, but the horse trough is still there and it is naw filled with flowers, warered and lavingly

tended by a lady fram the village. Taday the church is a busy place and cars go up and down the lane.

23 The pump and trough shown in the last picture also feature in this postcard of the mid-19 5 Os but here the raad can be seen going to South Heath and Chesham. Across the Square is the Church of England Combined School. The building on the left was founded as a Sunday School in 1823 by Mr. Oldham Oldham, who was Lord of the Manor at the time and lived at Missenden Abbey. Eric Bacon, a boy who was at school here during the war, remembers sixty pupils in dass and tired teachers who had been on firewatch during the night. Many children were evacu-

ated to Great Missenden from the East End of London and this greatly enlarged the numbers in the school. The children worked on the school allotments and tended goats, mink, chickens, pigs, tur-

keys and vegetables. The swill was boiled and taken to Hill House nearby, where the National Employers Mutual, evacuated from London, had a canteen. Two sisters cooked lunch for the children, not

only during the term but also in the holidays as many of the mums were doing war-werk.

24 AlbertTomlin, like hundreds of village children befare and after him, came to the Church of England Combined School. Perhaps it was rare in 1921 to be a regular school attendant, sitting daily at the little iron desks. In any case Albert was presented with this Certificate of Merit for punctuality, industry and regularity. Certainly it is true that many children had to work in those days, perhaps at home on the family small-holding, in the house, with the harvest or even doing a small amount of part-time work in the village.

25 By the 1950s extra land had been acquired for the Combined School and new building was in hand. In this photograph taken in the late 195 Os new

construction can be seen, which was completed in

1 972. The original small school is on the top right. This building is na langer needed bv the school and

has become the church hall, renamed the Oldham Hall in honour of the founder, and it is here that young mums meet today for coffee and a chat. In

1997 a new pre-school dass was opened enlarging the school still further.

26 This aerial view of Great Missenden was taken in 1959 during the construction of the by-pass. The Church of England Combined School can be seen on the right and the abbey is in the centre. It is worth comparing this photograph with the aerial view shown previously that was taken in 193 1. The once creeper-covered abbey has been gutted by fire and the inside rebuilt and the abbey field on the left is now occupied by the Council Housing Estare and the Misbourne School. The Misbourne is a large Comprehensive School with over 1,000 pupils.

27 This is a postcard of Church Street taken from the High Street in the 1920s. It still looks remarkably the same today, except there are na cars, the clothes are different and the pavement is cobbled, Perhaps it is the wooded horizon and old buildings that are the constant factor. A lady's footsteps are said to be heard walking down the street late at night. Once it was simply thought to be the local tart, but people's knowing looks turnedto amazement when they looked out of their windows, heard the steps pass from one side to the other of their houses, very near,

yet there was na one at aU to be seen. [ust bef are D-Day in 1944 a massive amount of extra troops arrived suddenly in Great Missenden. Equipment and lorries were every-

where, and people living in Church Street wake one morning to see troops cooking breakfast in their gardens! At the time na one knew the reason for the inf1ux, sa weU was the

secret kept, but in three or four days the allied invasion of Europe had begun and the troops had left Great Missenden.

28 Here are the Bedford Stores in 1932. The shop stood on the south corner of Church Street and the High Street and was a hive of activity through several

decades. It was a grocer in the days when many family food business es could be found in these two roads. The Bedford family belonged to the exdusive

sect of the Plymouth Brethren. At one time this building was a pub and today it is a dress shop. An ancient pear tree still dings to the wall facing

the High Street, amazingly tolerant of the fumes from incessant traffic.

é -l
?....
~ ('l
c n
?...? "0
rn ::r
.~ 0
~ ::l
()
?.. 0)
c:
~ C)
0 ..,
'"
CJJ ~
,....
?...? ;::
c
0 rn
~ rn
'"
?...? :l
"B c,
E- (1)
?

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek