Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Valerie Eaton Griffith / The Friends of Great Missenden Parish Church
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3543-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great Missenden in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 This picture was taken from the air around 1930 and shows the old railway sheds. Today there is the station car park on this bit of land. The road running across the postcard is the High Street and the large building in the middle is the Baptist Church. It is just possible to see that this building lies back from the frontage. This is because when the first church was built here in

1 778 the Vestry ran the village. Councils were not appointed until the turn of the century. The Vestry was a committee made up of church representatives, the Lord of the Manor and eminent citizens. When

non-conformist churches split away from the Church of England theVestry would not allow them to erect their buildings on the road frontages and as a result many of them lie twenty or thirty feet back from the streets.

GR.EAT MISSE OE RAJLWAY.STATIO

50 This is the west end of the High Street in or around 1939. The Cross Keys is on the left with a paper shop next door. This little shop has long sinee

been demolished and is now the entrance to the pub ear park. Further along is the fifteenth-eentury Beam House, which was onee a one-storeyed

building with an open fire in the middle of the living-room and a smokehole in the roof. Next eome the post office and the road to the railway sta-

tion and Prestwood. The row of terraeed houses on the right has fallen victim to the by-pass reconstruction.

GM.26.E.

HIGH STREET. GREAT MISSENDEN.

51 This photograph also taken in 1939 looks back the other way. The Post Office that still today looks much the same is now on the right of the picture, but the scene on the left is totally different. The fence with the trees towering

ab ave and the terraeed houses have become sheltered housing, a go ad library and the Link Raad leading to the by-pass. Up until 1959 this north end of Great Missenden had a rural feel to it, but when the by-pass came and later a roundabout the concrete and tarmac taak over from the country roads.

52 This is the Catholic Church which was built byWrights in 1963-1964. From 1954 onwards much effort had been extended to get both money and planning permission. His-

torically there is a close conneetion with the Catholie Church in Holland. Today the church, with the Damien Hall behind, hosts ecumenical services and is very much part of the

Churches Together in Great Missenden. It is a thriving community. The number of Polish people, who originally came to Great Missenden in and around 1949, has grown and this

was probably one of the reasons why the Catholics decided to build a church here.

53 Here is the old vicarage around the year 1940. It was originally built in 1857. The large size of the house carried on the tradition of important homes

for the clergy. Times have changed, of course, since those Victorian days and vicars now live in smaller, warmer houses. For instance, the vicarage of St.

Peter and St. Paul is now

in the old vicarage garden. The big yellow brick house has been turned into fairly large apartments and the present vicarage is

not the only house to help fill the space that was once the lovely garden.

54 These splendid elms in Wendover Raad were a feature of Great Missenden until the mid-19 5 Os, when they were taken down beeause of age.

They were ealled Matthew, Mark, Luke and [ohn and their friends. A family ealled Elmes onee had a house bebind the trees, but this was pulled down

and the present house Elmhurst ereeted. When Robert Louis Stevens on visited Great Missenden there were many elm trees in the village but Duteh

elm disease, old age and new developments have been responsible for their disappearanee.

55 This is Toll Gate House in the 193 Os. Tolls were collected here for the turnpike raad to Aylesbury. Turnpike was so named because of the movable

barrier that regulated entry to a raad. Tolls were introduced in the late seventeenth century to pay for better roads, as wheeled traffic was increasing.

One can imagine the stagecoaches going at a merry pace and wrecking the old road surface. Sometimes these tolls became so unpopular that the houses

were attacked, but luckily for Great Missenden no one damaged this Toll House and it remains a charming small home to this day.

56 In the Second World War allied troops were billeted here at Havenfields House just to the north of the village. One of the useful things Great Missenden

and the areas round and about did in bath world wars was to act as host to many foreign and British saldi ers. In fact King George V reviewed the

troops in the High Street in 1914. Havenfields was later used as the workshop for Hills the violin makers who were there until the seventies. This photograph

was taken in the early twenties and it shows the extensive size of the house. Today it is privately owned.

57 Souvenirs like this were popular in the 1 93 Os. This postcard shows the Toll Gate House, Little Missenden Abbey and the High Street. The fourth

picture is of Grimms Hill in the early part of the twentieth century. This was part of the Liberty land, where biggish houses were built to accommo-

date the moderately wealthy, each in an acre or two ofland. Again the railway would have brought their original owners to Great Missenden, and their

coming changed the ancient way of things. A middle strata of society joined the traditional mix of villagers and gentry.

58 This is the Black Horse pub in 1930. It looks much the same today, but the lake is far less visible, no matter how full it is. Trees have grown around

and there are railings on the roadside. It is said that the River Misbourne rises from the chalk springs here in this lake. In the 1970s and 1980s there

was a hot-air balloon club in the field next door to the Black Horse and manycoloured balloons would be seen floating gracefully over the village. They drift-

ed past of ten low enough to be able to see the occupants in the baskets and the flames shooting up into the balloons.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek