Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Valerie Eaton Griffith / The Friends of Great Missenden Parish Church
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3543-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great Missenden in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 The River Misbourne is achalk stream surprisingly small and hum ble considering it was so essential to early settlers and enabled the canons from Arrouaise in France to build an abbey about a quarter of a mile downstream from here. But the Misbourne can roar like a lion and flood gardens and houses as it did a century ago and again in 2000/ 200 1. The river was culverted in 1 959 to allow a by-pass to be built and the Link Road between bypass and High Street now runs just about where the fence is in the picture, cutting the original Buryfield farmland in half. Several

watermills once furietioned at the far (Amersham ) end of the village and watercress was grown.

60 Sir Felix Semon, an eminentVictorian laryngoiogist originally from Germany and physician to Queen Victoria and King Edward VII, retired from his London practise and bought 20 acres of Liberty land on which to build this house called Rignalls. He commissioned Charles Holden as architect and Gertrude Iekyll as garden designer. Plainly this rather humourless man believed only in the best. Equally plainly he had great trust because he then left for a year-long wor1d tour, asking only that the house be ready on his return. It was. He seems to have been angry that he, a Iew in

days of German oppression of the Iews, was not called in to advise on the illness of the Crown Prince of Prussia, later to be Emperor for 99 days. Semon

seems to have thought that he could have saved the life of the Prince and thus saved the world from the FirstWorld War!

61 After Felix Semon died in 1 92 1 the house was sold and by the 193 Os it was owned by a Frenchman, Monsieur Bouchier. His father had invented sandpaper - stiff paper, glue, applied sand and Bob's your unde! His job was to promote sales in

the United Kingdom. In the Second World War the house had a conneetion with Free France and the French government in exile. General de GaulIe visited the house several times and na doubt the proximity of Chequers came in useful as well. Today the house is still in private hands and Gertrude Iekyll's terraces and

sorne of the original plants and trees are there to be seen. It is Grade 2 listed, which is rare for sa young a building.

ON THE CHIL TERN HILLS.

Vithic 60 minutes of the City and West End.

600ft. up, with Magnificent Views over milcs of Beautiful Country.

i'articular,; llll) ([;oni:lition,; "r ~ale

OF A

MODERN FREEHOLD RESIDENCE

designed by an eminent Architect. faeing South and particularly well appcieted in every w~y.

" Rignalls"

GT. MISSENDEN, BUCKS.

Eleven Bed and Dressing Rooms, Three Bath Rooms, Lounge Hall, Tbree Fine Reception Rooms, Electric Light, Excellent Water Supply, Garage, Two Lodges, Telephone.

THE GROUNDS

are mantred and very tastefully laid out witb Twc Tennis Lawns, Croquet Lawn, Small Orchard, Well-stocked Kitchen Garden, and cernprise in all a.bout

TWENTY ACRES.

WITH VACANT POSSESSION.

To he effered for Sale by Auetioa {cnless Sold Privately) by Messes.

CHESTERTON & SaNS

At the London Auction Mart, 155, Queen Victoria Sn-eet, E.C.4,

On THURSDAY, 29lh APRIL, i926 At 2.30 c'cloek.

Partleutars and Conditlees of Sale mar be obtaiaed at the Auction Matt, E.C.: ?. nd of Messrs. COLLYER.BRISTOV┬Ěl & CO., Sclieitcrs, 4, Bedford Rcw, V.C.l; and at tbe Aucticneers' Offices,

n; QUEEN STREET. E.C.4; Telephone: 6251 Central.

116, Kensingron High Sn-eet, W. S :

I, Cadcgan Place, S.V. I.

62 The village above Great Missenden is Prestwood, the Priests' Wood of abbey days. This photograph of Martins End Lane was taken around 1950

and it still looks remarkably the same, although the traffic has increased enormously. This is now the main road to High Wycombe. It has taken over

from Nag's Head Lane that served this purpose in earlier days when Prestwood was a cherry Ofchard and common land with a track leading to

hamlets. One of the hamIets in old Prestwood was called Martins End. Memories of the onee powerful abbey are all over this area.

63 The rolling Chiltern countryside with fields and woods is very evident in this 1934 photograph taken from the east of the village. Buryfield stretches between the trees and, hidden in the valley, is the Black Horse and the River Misbourne. The by-pass now runs right across the fields but it has been constructed in the least obtrusive way that is possible with meadows, trees and hedges at the roadsides. Natural growth has softened the 1959 gash across what had been mostly farmland and it na long er takes away toa much of the beauty of the place.

64 In the 1920s many farmers still used massive shire horses for specific work. This is the Readings farm in Buryfield during harvest time. The farm

worker on top of the cart has been coUecting straw, which was in much greater demand in those days. In fact, with fewer and fewer hors es around, the

need for straw grew so much less that a new short-stemmed corn has gradually been bred and it na langer waves in the breeze 'nearly as taU as an

elephant's eye'. The trees on the horizon in this picture look much the same today.

65 For most ofthe fortyyear span of these pictures the north side of Buryfield looked exactly like this. This photograph was taken in 1936. By 1959 the Link

Raad was under construction right through the middle of the picture. The house has been enlarged since those days, is na langer so isolated and has

a mass ofbroad-leaved trees all around it. A car park is in the foreground to the left, where once the Misbourne formed into a small pond and children

would paddle there. The by-pass runs horizontally across behind the house.

66 The by-pass was built in 1959-1960 and a Bailey bridge was brought in so that traffic could continue to move during the construction. It brought many changes to the village. The old road that went from Church Street to South Heath and Chesham became a cul-de-sac and an entry to this road was made off the by-pass. A mark of this old road is just visible to the right of the signpost. Inevitably the by-pass took trade away from the village, but perhaps this was balanced by the fact that traffic would have blocked the High Street if nothing had been done. Since 1960 two

roundabouts have been constructed, no doubt to help stop speeding and improve road safety.

67 This is Frith Hill leading to South Heath and Chesham before the bypass was built. The house with the gothic windows was thought to be the

Abbey Infirmary for infectious diseases and in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries plague victims were sent here. Later still in 1800 it sheltered those

with smallpox. Today it is a house on a raad that has totally changed its character: the lane has become a busy main raad. It has a lovely garden, which is

open to the public onee or twiee a year. As a 'change ofusage' it simply eould not be bettered!

68 The railway came to Great Missenden in 1892 but it took a good few years before it was really accepted and its impact was felt in the village. In

the early years steam engines pulled the carriages and everyone had to change at Rickmansworth on their way to and from London. In this photo-

graph taken in Iuly 1935 the 1 0.29 a.m. train from Aylesbury to Marylebone is puffing out of Great Missenden station. This is before the days of a totally

nationalized rail system and this is the L.N.E.R., the London North-Eastern Railway.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek