Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Great Missenden in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Valerie Eaton Griffith / The Friends of Great Missenden Parish Church
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Buckinghamshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3543-6
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great Missenden in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 Great Missenden is about thirty miles from London. When the railway eame and ears were beginning to be privately owned it beeame possible to work

in London and live in and around the village, to have the best of both worlds. This photograph was taken in 1938 and shows the

9.0 1 a.m. train to Maryle-

bone. Commuters in their bowler hats and earrying their newspapers are standing on the platform ready to board. Sinee those days more and more

people work outside the village. but it is still not fully designated a commuter area.

70 This is Little Hampden and it shows the farmland and woods that surround Great Missenden. Iohn Hampden is a loeal hero who inherited an estate in Great Hampden when he was three years old.

Barn in 1594 he beeame a Member of the Parliament that Charles the First defied. The King wanted money, particularly ship money. Parliament wanted recognition of its rights and aeknowledgement that it eould only be dissolved by its own deeree. In the principals behind this lay the seed of the English Civil War. Little Hampden Chureh is hidden by the trees in this picture. It was

originally the ehapel of Hartwell and therefore is not dedicated to anyone in partieular. Part of the building is twelfth-century.

7 1 This is Potter Row around 1920. The name Potter Row is known to have existed in 1 3 11 and indeed there are many signs ofmedieval occupation of this site. The land was once owned by Missenden Abbey and the soil is of chalk overlaid by day and flint. Bury Farm down the raad has archaeological remains dated to early medieval times and potters were at work behind the houses on the left of the postcard. Sherds and wasters have been dug up together with brick fram the old kilns. At this period pottery was made in two phases, thirteenth-century pots of gritty unglazed

fabric and fourteenth-/fifteenth-century jugs, bowls and jars made in a finer fabric. There was also seventeenth-century pottery made a little further up the raad. The wonderfully

named pipkins (small bowls with rims and hollow handles), plates, dishes and a distinctive stamped ware were made. The pub called the Lamb in the picture is now a pri-

vate house. William Callow, the painter and watercolourist, lived here for many years and died in 1908.

Potter Row, Gt,

72 Here is a postcard of Ballinger in 1921. No one would recagnize this culde-sac today. There is a bungalow estate on the left and many new houses to the right. In August 1940 Ballinger's peace and quiet was shattered. There was a bomb that killed three jersey cows and a great many incendiaries were droppedo The hamlet was lit like a film-set and everyone turned out to help the Air Raid Warden extinguish the fires. The flames were doused with sand from

the buckets all war-time Britain kept ready. One house in Chiltern Raad

was occupied by the Misses Thomas. The roof of their house caught fire badly and it was suddenly realized that the two elderly ladies were missing. But all was well, The two sis-

ters were sitting calmly knitting in their cellar, and the fire was put out bef are it totally destroyed the house. Ta everyene's amazement Winston Churchill turned up from

nearby Chequers to see the damage and cheer up the tired fire fighters.

CHILTER Ro. BALL GER

73 This is Adelaide House in Ballinger. Up until1945 it was owned by people called Franklin who had several other houses in the neighbourhood and in

London. They were a benevolent ]ewish family and Adelaide House was used as a holiday and convalescent home for workers in their business. In wartime,

vegetables grown in the garden were taken back to London to add a rare perks to the stern food rationing. The veranda seen in this picture has gone now and

it is a private home. In the first half of the nineteenth century there was a village shop near here, but that too has gone.

ß..LLlNGER HILL, (jREAT MISSENDE

Co]zs. Pliotoz rauhe r, WatforJ

74 This is the Crossways at South Heath in 1937. The occasion is the Coronation of King George VI. There were celebrations all over Britain and many

places had parades like this one in the picture. All ages taak part, many different fancy dresses and outfits were worn and practically every band in the land

joined in and added to the noise and bustle. Children particularly enjoyed the holiday. There was maypole dancing and all the fun of the fair. Bonfires

were lit as darkness fell and many places had organized a show of fireworks.

75 This photograph was taken in around 192 3 from a position in front of the Barley Mow Inn. Before the inn existed there was a construction on the site called the Seed House. One meaning of'mow' is a heap of grain in a barn, sa presumably the inn is named after this. The area around here was farmland owned by the Pewseys, who have lived in the district for generations and the house in the picture belonged to them. The position is high on one of the Chiltern Hills and freak weather conditions assail it from time to time. When there is snow nowhere

else, or at least only a

sprinkling, this small bit of land will be thickly covered. The road past the Barley Mow is the main Great Missenden to Chesham road and a bus once gat stuck and was soon

just a large white hump in feet of snow The Pewseys kept their own snowplough for such occasions, even in the days when the plough had to be pulled by harses.

76 As a farewell view of Great Missenden here is the River Misbourne running peacefully through the abbey park towards Amersham. The Victorian villas to the right are on the London Road. For thirty-eight of the forty years covered by these pictures the village and the surrounding areas remained much the same. Shops were plentiful and prosperous. The spate of house building to accommodate the fairly wealthy middle dass, who came after the arrival of the railway, this was largely over. Not until 1958, when the by-pass

came, was there much physical change. By then, toa, car ownership was on the increase and people were working outside the village. But the most significant and universal

change came with the social upheaval that followed the two world wars.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek