Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

: :~:;'

'. ~:: --:::-.-

: ~ .~:~~.'

-,r.:,

9. In the fifty years up to 1901 around sixty houses were built in the parish. The majority of these were large residences, built to accomrnodate mernbers of the professional classes, who were now able to travel to Cambridge in a few minutes from Shelford Station - a journey that would have taken an hom by horsedrawn transport. Chestnut House was just such a house. In 1900 Mr. George Foster was living there, but during the First World War it was used as a Red Cross Hospital for military personnel. It becarne known as Browning House later on and for rnany years was a private girls' school with Miss Tidey as headmistress. The grounds then stretched from Tunwell's Lane to the railway line and station and it was not unusual to see a uniformed crocodile of schoolgirls co ming through the kissing-gate in Station Road to catch the train intotown.

10. A pair of cottages stood on the pavement edge next to The Plough. These were built of clay bat with flint foundations - building materials which would have been available locally. Clay bats were used for many of the smaller houses and farm buildings and were made by mixing clay with straw and placing this mixture in a wooden mould, where it was left to dry naturally. They gave thick walls with good insulation, but the exterior rendering needed constant maintenance to avoid the effects of frost and rain. Sam Rolph, boot repairer, stands with a friend outside his shop and in the distance can he seen the Square and Compasses, an old timber-framed house which was encased in brick at a later date.

11. A small group of children standing in the centre of the road, heedless of the oncoming cyc1ists, are transfixed by Mr. Mott and his camera. The nursemaid and her charge, however, take up a safer position in front of The Grove. This large mid-18th century house was inhabited by Mrs. Robertson for over twenty years. Beyond the big house a group of five terraeed cottages border Pound Yard. In the 1891 census four of these two-bedroorned homes were each occupied by two or three people , while the fifth housed a family of eleven, with the children's ages ranging from 3 months to 21 years. The newly-bui1t brick houses which line the Ie ft-hand side of the street stretching as far as Mr. Rolph's shop, were placed on previously open land, thus completing the link between the oldest part of the village. which originated around the church, and the other ancient developrnent on High Green.

12. Turning to look southwards down the High Street now we see three thatched cottages th at remain to th is day. The first with its horizontal sliding sash windows and timber shutter has a small shop belonging to A.F. Morley on the land adjoining. The next thatched cottage, standing endways to the road, was originalIy a farmhouse. but was later divided into two. Mrs. Acker had a small sweet shop opening onto the footpath and Reuben and Susan Goat with their family Iived at the other end of the house. Reuben had learnt his trade of a carpenter from his grandfather and he passed his skills onto his sons, Reuben and Fred. As was usual in a village, the carpenter was also the undertaker and an old invoice written by Reuben (jr.) teils us that the cost of a funeral in 1921 wasf7.17.6d.

13. This old photograph, dated at 1900 and showing only the shop front of Hope & Co., is at first difficult to place in the village scene. However, by comparing it with the picture following, it can be seen that this is the same building - the cornices, the shop window design and the paving on the road edge is the same in both pictures but there is possibly a lapse of around twenty years between them. Wh at a variety of goods can be seen in Mr. Hope's windows, but it does seem that the photographer arrived before he could complete his display on the outside staging. Four hoops are hanging up waiting for a youthful buyer , and there is a selection of stone jars - whether full or empty we cannot teil. To the right are bun dies of plants, possibly for hedging, but had he intended to pi ace more of his wares on the wood en crates? We shall never know!

14. A new fascia board and a coat of paint transforms Hope's shop into The Central Stores, which was run by CG. Butler at this time (cl920). General provisions were sold, but there is very little sign of any trade with the alm ast deserted High Street. Perhaps it is the dinner hour? The imposing columns of Porch House can be seen behind the iron railings on the right. Beyond can be seen the end gable of a group of buildings th at stretched back from the road alongside a yard. This was used by a corn merchant at one time. In Kelly's Directory of 1922 there are four corn merchants listed in Great Shelford, evidence that the soil on Iocal farms is well-suited to cereal growing.

15. The Baptist Chapel on the east side of the High Street was built in 1856 on land given by Richard W. Maris. Built in yellow and red brick and designed to se at 470 people , the chapel replaced a smaller meeting house which had stood in Church Street. The Manse was built in 1896 and until this was completed, the Minister lived at Ferndalc, the house opposite the chapel. In 1912 a large school room was built at the rear and since then there have been several other alterations and additions. Adjoining the chapel grounds are the gardens of Porch House which can just be seen through the trees. On the opposite side of the road the baker's horse waits patiently as deliveries are made from the cart.

16. 'Cocks & Childs Family Butchers' is written above the shop window, whilst on display to tempt the passing housewife hangs a variety of joints and strings of sausages. Mr. Coeks stands in blue and white striped apron, knife and steel in hand ready to return to the side of beef whieh ean be seen on the chopping block inside. His assistant, still wearing his cap, has possibly just returned on his tradesman's cycle from delivering orders. This business was just one of four family butchers that could be found in the village at this time and the shop was built on land adjoining the Manse - the end wall of the house ean be seen behind the wooden fence.

17. The striped sunblind is down over the window at Miller Barker's butcher's shop: a long-established business which has carried on through the generations and is still trading from the same premises today. Jack and Peter White with their cart pulled by two donkeys were a common sight around the village. They came from Stapleford and dealt in oil and other sundries. The young boy in his Norfolk jacket has just had his gallon can filled with paraffin , an essential in many households for cooking - particularly during the summer months, when a small economy could be made by not Iighting the kitchen range. The pantiled cottages stood around an area known at one time as Chapel Yard. These and the adjoining briek-built houses with their attractive porches have now gone.

18. The meeting of three roads - High Street, Church Street and Woellard's Lane. The signpost indicates only Shelford Station as it points eastwards - no mention is made of the villages in th at direction such as Cherry Hinton, Stapleford or Sawston. The children crossing the road could be making for Jesse Gamer's sweet shop when a penn'orth of sweets could be chosen from the tempting array of jars. Later th is low thatched cottage was to become the Bluebird Café with Mrs. Bridgeman in charge. Further down the street Oak Cottage borders the road, its casement windows wide open and as yet the oak beams on its jettied upper storey not yet exposed. Wh en restoration work was carried out on this 16th century tirnberframed house, some very fine folded leaf carving was uncovered on the exterior.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek