Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Although seen here as the Shelford Garage this large building at the junction of Woellard's Lane and Church Street was previously known as the British School. It was erected in 1870 with accommodation for 150 children (although it se ems unlikely that it ever reached th at figure); by 1900 the attendance was 54. The British School was closed in 1906 and the remaining pupils transferred to the church school. For some years it was used as a meeting room. Around 1920 it was sold to Frederick Pumfrey, who had been running a smal! garage business nearby and was eager to acquire larger premises to cater for the growing demands of the increasing number of car owners. An interesting collection of cars can be seen on the forecourt behind the iron railings. Mr. Pumfrey hirnself owned a Rolls Royce.

20. With the coming of the railway and Shelford Station, WoolIard's Lane had been renamed Station Road and it continued with this name until the 1920's, when it reverted to its original title. Here we see that the milk roundsman, Billy Bye, had progressed from a horse-drawn milk float to a motorised van. James Edwin RodweIl farmed at Reetory Farm for many years. His land stretched from Church Street along the River Granta towards Hauxton and it was on these lush meadows that his herd of cows grazed. George C. Williams, of ten known as Nanny Williams, had run the general stores and draper's shop since the beginning of the century. The next shop along the street was for many years a hardware store under the ownership of Miss Litton.

21. This photograph can be accurately dated to 1916 by reading the newsagent's bill-boards. 'Brilliant victories on Somme' says the Chronicle board. What feelings would this news arouse in the he arts of wives and mothers with their loved ones far away in France? 'Zeppelin shot down' and in the Daily Mail 'Zeppelin special pictures'. No doubt George Bros, the newsagents, had a great'dernand for the national papers at this anxious time as they were the main means of communication with events in the Great War. The sign board high on the wall above the shop states 'George Bros Florists and Nurserymen', a trade for which they were well-known for many years. Their glasshouses and gardens were behind the shop.

22. The memory of Robinson's herd of Jersey cows wandering their twice daily journey between the dairy in Woellard's Lane and the water-rneadows of The Grange and King's Mill would epitomise for many peopie all that was fresh, clean and wholesome in village life in those quieter , less hurried years between the wars. However, those with langer memories will know that befare embarking into the dairy business Mr. Eliab Robinson and his son Alfred had been well-respected builders and carpenters in the village. Upto 1930 there were four boot-makers and repairers in the village. Frederick Dyne started such a business in the 1920's, when he rented a small wooden shop in Mr. Robinson's front garden. Charles Butler of Little Shelford seils his crusty homebaked bread from the shop next door.

23. Miss Dorothy Bockham, listed in Keily's Directory as a 'Patent Medicine Vendor, was a souree of much help and comfort to the ailing members of the community. Her small wooden shop - The Welfare Drug Store - stood opposite the Recreation Ground and through the trees the old corrugated iron village hall can be seen. In the distance is the signboard of Josiah Austin, the Iocal builder, who was living at Flowerdale in the 1920's when this picture was taken. Previously he had lived with his family in pre mises on High Green and he was responsible for the building of a number of houses in Great Shelford in the early part of the century. It is recorded that in 1791 the earliest clay bat domestic building in England was erected here by Joseph Austin. An ancestor of Josiah's perhaps?

24. In 1906 George Macaulay came with his family to live at Southemwood. With him came his daughter Rose, then aged 25, who had already completed her first novel. In later years Rose recalled these years before the war as 'that Golden Age', wh en much of her time was spent in the company of the poet Rupert Brooke, a family friend. They spent time together and Rose continued to write both novels and poetry. With the outbreak of war Rose volunteered as a nurse at Mount Blow (Stapleford), a military convalescent home. She did not enjoy the work and was far happier wh en she became alandgirl working for Peter Grain at Station Farm in Hinton Way. The experience inspired her to write a collection of poems called 'On the Land 1916', which reeall the hard work and companionship ofthose days.

25. Mrs. Grace Macaulay's Bible CIass in the garden at Southernwood, 1915. From the left, standing:

Daisy Austin, Doris Pettit, unknown, Madge Larkin, Nellie Litchfield and Elsie Dickerson. Seated on chairs: Emily Brunning, unknown, Alice Pryor, Sybil Hiner , Wirmie Bowtell and Mary Andrews. Seated on grass: Maud Freeman, Doris Ellis, unknown, Kathleen Marfleet and Millie Ryder. This class was held once a week in a hut in the garden. When the Bible lesson came to an end Mrs. Macaulay would call Rose to take the girls for recreational activities. They canoed and went for rides in the donkey cart and th en before leaving for home the girls were given permission to piek their mothers a posy of flowers from the garden at Southernwood.

26. For over twenty-five years Charles Whitmore carried on his two trades of publican and wheelwright from these premises. The Road and Rail public house, which stood on the junction of Woellard's Lane and London Road. Coming down the slope from the railway bridge we see two types of horse-drawn vehicles. The rnilk float, possibly belonging to Charles Clay of Manor Farm, Little Shelford, and a smart carriage with live ried coachman which may have belonged to Dr. Magoris, who lived in The Woodlands. Again we see the White brothers from Stapleford with their donkey cart. The land on the opposite corner was sold as a building plot in 1902 and it was bought by George Freestone, who had built a splendid house, shop and bakery to replace the older premises that he was using in Woellard's Lane.

27. When the Cambridge to Liverpool Street railway line came through the village in 1845, a triangle of farmland belonging to Richard Headley became isolated from the remainder of his land. This ground is bordered by the railway, Station Raad and London Raad. Mr. Headley taak full advantage of the presence of this new form of transport by building a large brewery, maltings and coalstore around a yard which had access to railway sidings. Around the turn of the century Mr. Martin Wright and Clarence George were joint proprietars of the business now known as the Shelford Corn and Co al Company. The firm came into the sole ownership of the George family at a later date and here we see one of their early Morris lorries which were used for house-ta-house co al deliveries.

28. Here we see the Railway Tavern, again built by Mr. Headley, who could see th at with the arrival of the railway station and sidings and the new developments around this area, there would be a lot of thirsts to be quenched! Certainly sometime around the 1920's the Road and Rail closed and so the nearest public house was the Black Swan in Church Street. This picture, taken cl930, shows a building that is hardly recognisable today. The attractive bay windows have gone and the gardens have been replaced by the inevitable car park. The end of a range of buildings around the Corn and Coal Co. yard can just be glimpsed and the newly erected serni-detached houses in Station Road are evident.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek