Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. This view of the station level-crossing was taken c1904. A horse and cart laden with sacks wait patiently whilst Great Eastern Railway's locomotive No. 761 stands in the station. This engine was of ten used to pull Royal trains until it was scrapped in 1908. On 6th June 1893 it drew the train taking the Duke and Duchess of York, later King George V and Queen Mary, from Liverpool Street to King's Lynn for their honeymoon at Sandringham. The lowered signal indicates th at this train is heading for London, not the Haverhillline which branches off a few hundred yards down the track. Beyond the station buildings can be seen open ground and the rear of the newly built houses in Tunwell's Lane.

30. Before returning to the hub of the village, we take a long, last look along Hinton Way as it stretches off into the distance, over Clarkc's Hili which rises to 45 metres, and so onto Shelford Bottom. In the early years of the century this was a remote area of the parish, which stretched to Wandlebury, Worts Causeway and Red Cross. Maybe the farmers and smallholders feIt that they had a greater affinity with Cambridge than with Great Shelford. Nevertheless, the children had to walk to and from the village school each day, the one concession being that they could take a packed lunch. In 1900 the golf course was laid out on around 200 acres ofthe Gog Magog Hills. Near this point the village lime kiln was to be found in the hillside.

31. Mr. Linsey boasts twenty years experience in the cycle trade , the coach house and stables stand waiting in the yard of the Black Swan, but the young men have their minds on other farms of transport. They pose for the photographer around a sporty open two-seater car. One takes the wheel whilst another swings the starting handle. Mr. Linsey looks apprehensively around the door of his workshop, but he needn't worry, it will be many years befare the ordinary working man will be able to afford a car and his cycle trade looks set to continue for another twenty years. And who is the owner of this splendid vehicle? Could it be the gentleman in the light coloured coat and homburg hat standing in the background, who is tolerating the high spirits ofthe locallads?

32. This view down Church Street shows the Black Swan (or Mucky Duck as it was frequently called by the locals!). This inn is recorded as far back as 1791, wh en an advertisement was placed in the Cambridgeshire Chronicle , saying that a farmhouse was to be auctioned at 'the sign of the Black Swan'. Where the street bears around to the right stands The Grange behind its flint and brick wall. Built on the site of an earlier Manor House parts of this house date back to the 16th century, but it was extended in 1890 when the Grain family sold it to Mr. Carter Jonas. There is a range of interesting ourbuildings, including a granary and a brewhouse. The gardens are attractively landscaped and stretch back to the banks of the River Granta.

33. This picture was taken around 1916. Later E1m Cottage was dernolished, to make way for the new vicarage that was to be built on this site in 1929. Whilst waiting for the new house to be completed the vicar , Reverend Frederic Jeevcs, lived next door in the Red House, as the Victorian vicarage adjoining the church had already been sold into private ownership. Reverend Jeeves had come to the village as a curate in 1913 to assist Reverend Nettleship and at this time he resided at Hope Cottage in Church Streel. He served as vicar for twenty-six years. On the opposite si de of the road stands The Peacock with its painted sign depicting this colourful bird. From the late 1800's E.K. & H. Fordham ran the Brewery Stores from this site. In 1916 George Flint was the manager of this business, which had connections with Ashwell Brewery.

34. A smal! thatched cottage stands on the pavement edge partly obscuring the entrance into the Old Vicarage, and standing on a slight rise in the ground is the village church. Dating back to the 14th century and dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin it has numerous interesting features, many of which have been added over the centuries. The three timber-frarned and plastered cottages opposite the church entrance were built around 1600 and were original!y one large farmhouse. Kerbing along the footpath edge , white lines in the centre of the road, a school warning sign - all of these are indications that the age of the motorised vehicle was taking over from slower moving horse-drawn traffic.

35. The National School, as it was once known, was erected around 1840 to provide free education for boys and girls from Great and Little Shelford. The average attendance in 1900 was 193 pupils. From 1906 it became known as Great and Little Shelford Church of England School and until Sawston Village College was opened in 1930 the village children spent their entire school career here. This group photograph was taken in 1911 when Mr. Charles Smith was headmaster. He had the reputation of being kind but very strict and during his time at Shelford he was also organist and choirmaster. Among the names remembered by Nellie Litchfield (third row back, third from left) are: Mary Andrews, Dolly Austin, Madge Larkin, Ethel Hiner, Doris Pettit, Bert Taylor, Fred Linsey and Wilfred Marfleet.

36. This postcard printed by Stanley, Talbot & Co. of Linton shows a winter scene in Church Street c1900. The thatched house on the right was used as a club for the young men of the village in the early part of the century. Previously it had been the George and Dragon inn, but the latest record of this was in 1859. The group of three thatched cottages on the corner of King's Mill Lane have long been demolished. Mr. and Mrs. Gifford lived in the end cottage with their daughter Nell, who was a talented amateur photographer. She took many photographs around the village which she developed and printed in primitive conditions in her parents' cottage. Her aim seemed to have been to record the people, not just a scene, and she was prepared to take a photograph ofloved-ones in their coffin if so requested.

37. This picture taken by NeU Gifford just a few yards from her home shows Francis Litchfield and his son Frank returning to Little Shelford with their timber waggon. Frank, aged 15, holds the lead horse and pauses whilst NeU takes her photograph. They are just returning from Shelford Station, where they have been to collect a load of wood - possibly for Edward Walker, carpenter and builder, as the man with the bike is one of his workmen. Much of the wood used by local carpenters came from the yard of English at Wisbech as it could easily be transported by rail to the station sidings in the vilIage. The thatched building on the left is the end of a row of five small cottages which have since been demolished.

38. A distant view across the meadows in King's Mill Lane to the church and Rutland House with a varied group of cottages to the left. The lane is suprisingly deserted, usually it would be busy with carts rumbling to and from Pearce's Mil!. The first mention of a mill on this site was in 1086 when it was the property of the Abbot of Ely and it is also recorded that there was a secondwater-mill in Great Shelford, although its position is unknown. Local people believed th at it had been further along the Granta at Hopping (or Hopham) where traces of brickwork could be seen bordering the river. Another mill was to be found in the village. This was Chaston's Flour Mill and it developed with the coming of the railway. Built adjoining the station it could take full advantage ofthis form of transport.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek