Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A tranquil scene across the millpond to the cottages built in the early 19th century to house some of the men who were employed at King's Mill. This mil! had been built on the site of an ancient water-mil! along the River Granta and in 1875 it was taken over from Josiah Living by Alexander Pearce, miller and farmer, who had been bom at Shepreth 29 years earlier. In the 1890's Alexander updated the mill by adding roller rnachinery, turbines and installing an engine house, sa that he was na langer entirely dependant upon water power. In 1922 the Pearce family were able to buy the mil! trom Gonville and Caius, who had owned it since 1614. Ernest Pearce, Alexander's son, continued to run the business and at the same time served for forty years as Chairman ofthe Parish Council and twenty years as a J.P.

40. The lane gently slopes down towards the river , passing on the right a group of three cottages which were originally built as one house. A decorative plaque can be seen on the front wall of the house engraved with 'R.K. 1738'. However , this was probably the date of alterations rather than the date of construction. as plasterwork on one of the bedroom ceilings gave the date of 1676 in the centre of a diamond shaped crest. Although these we re the last houses in the village at the time of the photograph, a Turnpike Cottage and gate stood on the distant corner until 1871, when the County Council took over the care of the roads. Road surfaces were still very loose and dusty weil into this century and heaps of chippings were placed at frequent intervals on the roadside for on-the-spot repairs!

41. The Water Bridges provide a natural boundary between the two villages. one river being attributed to Great Shelford and the other to Little Shelford. Fanny Wale recalls that a line was marked on the wall between the rivers and here vilage boys met to fight on their own village boundary. In this picture we look towards Great Shelford and the nearest bridge crosses the original pa th of the River Granta or Carn, whilst the other channel is said to have been excavated by the miller in order to increase the flow of water through his mill - hence its straight course through the water meadows. This land is very low-lying and prone to flooding after heavy rain so that the two rivers merge.

42. And sa we enter Little Shelford. Bridge Lane is little changed from the scene shown in this photograph taken seventy years ago. The 18th century red brick wall on the left borders the grounds of the Manor, the Manor House itself being hidden in the trees. The buttressed wall on the right hides from view the gardens of Shelford Hall. The village spread from a nucleus that had developed in this area, including the Manor and the church. It grew westwards along Church Street and then turned south into High Street, previously known as Thames Street Raad in the early 19th century. There was also sorne growth nortb-west towards Hauxton, Newton and Harston. This framework of the development of housing rernained with little alteration weil into this century.

Manor House, Little sneirorc

43. The Georgian Manor House stands in a secluded position in Manor Lane. From the late 13th century it was the main seat of the De Freville family, but after three hundred years they sold it to Tobias Palavicino. who built a grand new house on the site. This house was largely demolisbed c1750 and the present house, designed by the famous architect Inigo Jones, was built. Same material from the previous house, including Palavicino's coat of arms, was incorporated in the new building. At the beginning of this century John Clay M.A., J.P. of Newnham, was Lord of the Manor , and William Walton was living at the Manor House. It later became the property of the Pares Wilsons. Charles Felix Clay lived at Manor Farm for over thirty years from 1900.

44. The Wale family have had connections with Little Shelford over many generations and they were still listed as the principallandowners weil into this century. The family seat, known as Shelford Hall or the ûld House, was built in the 17th century but this building was largely demolished around 1850 and a new house was erected in the Gothic style. This is the building shown on this postcard and the date stamp indicates that it was posted just a few months before ûld Hall was destroyed by fire. Mrs. Eaden was living there at the time - 24th February 1929 - when a fire, believed to have originated in the pantry, gutted the entire building. The roof caved in and there was little chance to retrieve any of the contents. A series of photographs appeared in the Cambridgeshire ChronicIe recording this tragedy.

45. The Lodge to Shelford Hall stands on the corner of Bridge Raad and Whittlesford Raad and the ma in entrance and driveway 10 the Hall adjoins it. This building was the north wing of the original17th century Hall and it was retained to be used as an entrance lodge to the new house. There is a model of the original building in the possession of the Cambridge and County Folk Museum, although this is not always on public display. The writer of the postcard queries: 'Can you remember going to Sunday School here?' Ear!ier in the century Miss Fanny Wale had taken Sunday School classes in The Studio, a cottage off the Whittlesford Raad, th at Col. R.G. Wale hadintended to be used as a reading room and adult eveninginstitute.

46. This postcard, published by the Shelford Supply Stores, was posted in 1921 to Mr. S. Marks in Saffron Walden by his sister. It shows Milestone Cottage, a small, timber-framed house that still retains its picturesque charm today. The milestone , which is just off the picture to the left , tells the traveIler that London is 50 miles distant, while Cam bridge is 5 mil es in the other direction. The wal! of Shelford Hall grounds borders the edge of the highway on the right and in the distance through the trees can be seen the Reetory. Hidden from view behind the cottage is an attractive group of smal! houses, including The Studio, which overlook Camping Close.

47. In the year 1900 Fanny Lucretia Wa!e lived in Ivy Cottage, a low, rambling old house in Whittlesford Road, part-bidden behind a wooden fence and shrubbery. Miss Wale was the last member of the family bearing the name of Wale to live in Little Shelford, and she !eft a valuable legacy in the form of a book cal!ed 'A record of the Shelfords'. She compiled this book between 1907 and 1927 and it provides an excellent record of life in the Shelfords at the beginning of the century. Miss Wale was a competent artist and her book is fil!ed with attractive sketches as wel! as important historical information, which no doubt she was able to glean from family documents and literature which were available to her. Her meticulous recording of housing and inhabitants is of great interest to the family historian.

48. Green Lane, or Whittlesford Raad as it is now known, had little development in the early part of the century. Meadowland stretched across from the beech trees on the right to the back gardens of the houses in High Streel. The Wale family gave a large area of ground which was behind the wall on the left to be used by the villagers for recreational purposes. The Wale Recreation Ground has a delightful rural setting edged by long-established deciduous woodland and with the River Cam on its eastern boundary. Ta the north is the site of Shelford Hall and its gardens. This field is yet another indication of the generosity of the Wale family to the village - a gift th at will be appreciated and enjoyed by generations yet to come.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek