Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The Church of All Saints is built of flint with stone dressings. The earliest parts date back to the 12th century and a Norman doorway and window survive in the north wall of the nave. Many alterations and additions have been made over the centuries and a south chapel which was added by Margaret, wife of Thomas de Freville, in the early 15th century, is particularly interesting. Many of the church fittings are associated with the De Freville family and several interesting monumental brasses survive. There are also numerous monuments and inscriptions to commemorate the lives and service of members of the Wale family. In addition to the church there is a sm all Congregational Chapel, which was founded in 1823 and rebuilt in 1881.

50. In 1858 the old Reetory. a long, low building with a deep roof, was demolished. A large, new brick and stone house. built in a Gothic style, was erected on the same site. This work was ordered by the Rector, James Edmund Law, and it is recorded th at in 1883 the Reetory was valued at f400. James Law was Rector from 1852 to 1892 and his successor was E.T.S. Carr, who lived at the Reetory unti11929. In 1962 the Reetory shown in the photograph was sold into private ownership and a modern house for the Rector was built further down Manor Raad. Many village activities were held in the gardens of the Reetory - fĂȘtes, garden parties. school treats - when everyone would don their best clothes and pray that the fine weather would hold!

51. This view across Camping Close depiets a peaceful summer's day in the centre of the village c1920. The cattle rest in the shade of the tree and the tower of All Saints' Church can be seen in the distance. The gardens of St. Andrews, in Church Street back onto the meadow and William Garrelt Ecclestone was living there at this time. Camping Close was owned by the Wale family, but generally it was rented to alocal farmer. Upto 1845 members of the Wale family were buried in a mausoleum which stood in the corner of Camping Close nearest to the church. However, with the prevalenee of bodysnatching in those days, which meant that graves needed to be guarded for two months after a funeral, it was decided to move the coffins into a vault in the church.

52. James Thompson was the landlord of The Chequers in Church Street when this picture was taken c1920. The pony and trap provided a leisurely way to travel in those days. I wonder who the gentlemen were who posed for Mr. Mott in this photograph? At the beginning of the century there were six public houses in the village. One of these was the Three Horse Shoes, which stood on the south-east side of Church Street close to the church. It was recorded in 1787 and from the 1891 census returns we know that Albert Smith trom Kidlington, ne ar Oxford was the publican. The business survived until 1908 when the building was demolished and a private house was erected on the site. Another hostelry, The William IV in High Street, closed in 1910 and was converted into private houses.

53. This picture by Ted Mott shows the Village Hall, or Institute, that was in use in the early part of the century. ft stood, as does the present hall, adjoining the Chequers. This small building was purchased from Whittlesford (perhaps they were having a new hall built?), and transported to Little Shelford by horse and waggon. A collection was made around the village to finance this venture and when they called on the family of the carrier who had transported the hall sections free ofcharge, they were given a nominal amount of money only. On noting this, the young son of the household laughed and said: 'Weil Mother , we shall own the keyhole!' The present hall was erected in 1925 to the memory of the men who feIl in the Great War and it was enlarged in 1932 by C. F. Clay of Manor Farm in remembrance of his son, R. V. Clay.

54. Behind these cottages and houses on the right-hand si de of Church Street stood the business premises of Galls, which had been established in the village since the rnid-ISth century. They manufactured rope and twine and at a later date also made sacks and tarpaulins. From the late 19th century tar was also distilled on the premises. This family-run business provided an alternative employment to working on the land and a search through the 1891 census returns shows that nine villagers were giving their occupation as ropemaker. At Great Shelford William GaU was also manufacturing sacks, tarpaulins, riek cloths, cord, etc., but later he diversified to produce gelatine and size.

55. At the turn of the century Ephraim Clamp was the post master at Little 5helford and the shop was also advertised as selling drapery and groeeries. Later Mrs. Sarah Annie Miles and her son were running the Post Office and it is her son, Gillie , with his rnotor-bike , that we see outside the shop in this picture. An old soldier from either the Boer War or the First World War laughs at Gillic's antics. He we ars his army tunic and medals, his Ieft sleeve pinned up as a poignant reminder of his sacrifice for his country. The gentleman standing on the right seems to be a giant of a man - I wonder who he is? By 1930 Miss Minnie Austin was postmistress. Today the villagers must travel to Great Shelford for th is service.

56. A winter's scene along Church Street cl920. The trees are bare with the exception of the pine tree in the front garden of Miss Searl's home, Ingleside. The bay window of the Prince Regent can be seen on the left and over the roof of their coach-house can be seen the top of the tall chimney at Gall's Ropeworks. The public house was owned by Whitrnore , a Royston brewery, in the early years of the century. It was managed by Mrs. Lewin and her husband was a jobbing gardener. The Prince had a good reputation and was well-known for the fine accommodation that it offered to bath people and harses! This corner was looked upon as the hub of the village and it was here that the village notice board stood next to the Jubilee Pump.

57. The year is 1919, the Great War is over, and village life continues with its seasonal activities. Here is a group of around fifty people waiting for a char-Ă -banc to take them on the Chapel outing to Royston Heath, a spot some twelve miles distant which offered a contrast to the flat meadowland of home. The village pump stands within a sm all feneed enelosure ta the left of the group. According to Fanny Wale it 'was placed there to commemorate the first jubilee of Queen Victoria. The weil is bored down 50 feet to reach the pure water below the stratum of white chalk'. In the days when very few houses had their own piped water supply the daily chore of fetching buckets of water from the village pump was one that was shared between all members afthe family.

58. Here at the junction of Church Street and Hauxton Road two men stand beside their pony and trap. Behind them is the pantiled roof of the Smithy and the gates that opened onto the blacksmith's yard, where much of his work was carried out - like most country folk prefering to work outside - weather permitting. The blacksmith at th is time was Edward Elbourne, who had learnt his craft from a boy working at his father's side. The blacksmith was an invaluable member of the village community. He could shoe the horses, repair the machinery, repair and sometimes make cartwheels, fashion smaller items such as latehes and light fittings for the home, repair garden tools, make gates, in fact, for anything involving the use of iron - the village blacksmith was your man!

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek