Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. In this old photograph we see Edward Elbourne and his two sans, Charlie and Maleolm. !owering the iron tyre onto the wooden part of the cartwheel. These wooden sections, the hub,the spokes and the wooden rim, probably made by the local carpenter, we re set up on a circular iron platform. The iron tyre , which had already been made to the correct size, was heated until red hot over an open fire, which can be seen in the background. It taak three men using a long-handled, hooked taal to lift the tyre from the fire onto the wheel. Then there we re a frantic few minutes when water had to be poured on the rim to prevent the woodwork from catching fire and to cause the iron tyre to cool and shrink more quickly (note the cans of water standing ready). A cartwheel could be re- tyred several times during its lifetime.

~.

~

~

60. There was a right ofway through the blacksmith's yard to the Garden Fields. This area of land was once the village recreation ground, but in 1880 Col. K.G. Wale decided that it would be more beneficial for the ground to be used as allotment gardens, because many of the people living in the smaller cottages had large families but very little space on which to grow vegetables. So the name of Garden Fields arose. Mount View Cottages were built on some of this ground (possibly in the late 1920's) by a local builder , Frederick Albert MarshalI, who lived on the corner of Newton Road. Their name of course was derived from the view of Maggots Mount from this area.

61. And so we turn into High Street and just a short disrance past the hawthorn hedge that borders the western end of Camping Close we come to the house of Charles Butler, baker and confectioner. A business that has been carried on through the generations, with all members of the family being involved in either baking, delivering of serving in the shop. In addition to the shop, attached to the family home, Mr. Butler also had a shop in Woellard's Lane, Great Shelford, for some time. The bakehouse was at the rear of this house. Next door lived the blacksmith, Mr. Elbourne, and his family. He was very much involved in the life ofthe village. as he was also churchwarden and a village constabIe.

62. The next building down the street is King's Farm, a house which originated as a smal! cottage, but was altered in the late 18th century and then greatly enlarged at the beginning of this century to designs by Frederick Lean. The house stands end onto the road with the kitchen chimney projecting onto the highway. This chimney provided a warm corner for courting couples on a cold winter's night! The photograph was taken cl915 and a soldier (possibly Mr. Goodwin) is home on Ie ave and out walking with his family down a peaceful village street - a stark contrast to life at the Front. On the right is the meadow of White's Farm, but we cannot see through the dense hedge to know wh at is grazing there.

63. Here we can see the front of King's Farm, roses rambling around the windows and a splendid car awaiting its driver. During the first thirty years of this century there were four different occupants of King's Farm. Mr. John Eaden, then Lt. Col. Thornton, followed by Gerald Fitzgerald and then by 1930 Henry Bayon were in residence. King's Farm was part of the Wale estate and on his death in 1796 at the age of 95 Thomas Wale left this farm to his daughter Margaretta, and after the inclosure of 1815 she owned about 140 acres. The line of inheritance includes names which are familiar in the village even now - Eaden, Willis, Powell - but much of the land has now been sold, either to be developed or to be attached to the acreages of neighbouring farms.

64. Three generations of the Litchfield family stand outside White's Farmhouse, c1922. In the foreground stands Francis and Elizabeth Litchfield's eldest married daughter. Annic, with her daughter Doris. Annie was married to Elias Townsend, who was landlord of the Prince Regent at this time. Two of the farm workers have also got into the picture as they stand behind the wooden fence that surrounds the small garden of Hubert Flitton. the horse keeper. On the extreme left can be seen the wall of Kirby Lodge. Mr. Abbott lived there in 1900 and later on Mrs. Thompson and then Mrs. Hudson we re in residence. On the right, partially blocked by the garden wall, can be seen the back of King's Farm.

65. Harvest time - the culmination of the farrner's year - was a busy time for both men and horses. Here Frank and Reuben Litchfield work with their team of horses to cut the barley with a binder in the field behind White's Farm. The binder was intended to be pulled by a pair of horses, but with a third one harnessed-up alongside, the intention was probably to lighten the load so that the animals could work a langer day. Sometimes this idea was used to train a young animal to work and gain experience with older horses. The care of harness was a major preoccupation on the farm for without reliable harness a good horse was rendered useless. Leather straps and collars were wiped with Neatsfoot oil and chains and other metal parts we re washed. A harness-maker from Balsham visited Whites Farm for a week each year to overhaul the harness.

66. Mr. and Mrs. William Rogers lived in one of these houses in the terrace along the High Sireet. In 1906 Mrs. Rogers posted this card to her daughter in Bedford Square in London to say ' ... am sending off parcel. hope you will get it tonight'. Wh at a good delivery service for both postcard and parcel. This row of houses was built around 1870 when there was a de mand for more labourers' cottages to accommodate the growing population. The 1891 census returns show that Mr. Rogers, who gave his occupation as gardener and gamekeeper. had the largest family to occupy these two up and two down cottages. In 1891 he had eight children living at home aged between 17 and 1 year. It must have been a tight squeeze around the table at mealtirnes, and again when bedtime came around.

67. Edward Moore was landlord of the Plough Inn for over thirty years. His stepfather Charles Jennings lived next door and in the yard behind the house stood a small bakery. Ted Moore baked bread here in the ear1y years of the century and sold it from a cart around the village. The public house is easily recognisable today and it is one of the two remaining inns in the village. Sadly, however, the name has been changed to The Navigator, apparently to avoid confusion with the Plough at Great Shelford.

68. This photograph taken outside the Carrier's Cart (or Carrier's Arms) cl89ΓΌ shows the landlady, Mrs. Maryann Watkins, and members of her family. Maryann had previously been Mrs. Litchfield and upon the premature death of her husband, James, which left her with three young children - the youngest only six months old - she decided that she would continue to run the beerhouse and also her late husband's carrier's business. She was widowed for a second time and her third marriage was to Fred Dockrell, who had returned from the gold fields in Australia to his native village with enough money to buy the Carrier's Cart from Phillip's Brewery of Royston. Francis Litchfield is in the cart, Reuben Goat holds the horse's he ad and the la dies from the left are: Maryann, Elizabeth Goat, Elizabeth Litchfield and Clara Jennings (neighbour).

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek