Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Margaret W. Ward
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cambridgeshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5504-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Great and Little Shelford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The Terrace is a footpath that links High Street with the Whittlesford Road. It got its name from the terrace of thatched cottages that bordered this footpath at the High Street end. These can be seen in this photograph, but sadly, together with the pantiled houses in the distance, they have been demolished. Across the road stands Hall Farm, an early 16th century building which was extended in the 17th and 18th centuries. John Fordham came from Fen Ditton to take over the tenancy in 1889 and succeeding generations still farm the land today. Their cattle, which graze in the meadows at the southern end of the village, are a poignant reminder of the days when every farm had its selection of animais.

70. Now on the raad to Hauxton we look back towards the Prince Regent corner. A variety of cottages can be seen on bath sides of the raad. The majority have pantiled roofs with the exception of the cottage in the centre of the picture which is situated on the corner of Church Street and High Street and this has a straw thatch. We look back in more ways than one, because this truly is a view of Little Shelford past, for the last of these houses was demolished sorne twenty years ago.

71. This thatched cottage on the corner of Newton Road was the home of Frederick Marshall, who was responsible for the building of Mount View Cottages. His ladders, stored on brackets under the deep thatch of his house, give some indication of his trade. Another local builder at the beginning of the century was Arthur Austin, whose family had been long established in the area as windmill builders. Towards the end of the last century he built a brewery in Hauxton Road, which can be seen in this picture beyond the trees. It was known as the West End Brewery , but it was not a great success - perhaps it could nor compete with the larger brewers - and by 1916 the premises were no longer used for this purpose. The buildings were demolished by 1966.

72. The two mil km en from Manor Farm Dairy pause for Mr. Mott in Hauxton Road. They have been identified as Mr. Amey, on the left, and, holding the horse's head, Henry Ellis. They each carry a gallon can which would have been refilled from the large churn carried in the milk float. When taken to each door the quantity of milk required would be ladled into a jug provided by the householder. Sometimes milk was de live red twice a day to coincide with the moming and afternoon milking of the cows. This ensured fresh milk to the housewife even in the hottest of summers and in these days before refrigeration there were few complaints about milk turning sour. At this time. c1920, a pint of milk cost 2d, or l2d less if collected from the farm.

I

{

!

73. Further along Hauxton Road, towards the northern boundary of the parish, is the level crossing over the Cambridge to King's Cross railway line. This line was opened in 1851 but at this time it terminated at Royston and was extended at a later date to go right into London. The district nurse in her uniform is crossing the line , the large wicker basket on her bicycle handlebars a necessity in her profession. Could this be Miss Laura May, who was for some time the district nurse in the area? The butcher's boy on his tra de bike is returning to Great Shelford after making a delivery to Hauxton. The Crossing House stood on the left of the gates and it was here th at the employee of the Great Northern Railway lived who would either man the gates or work in the signalbox.

74. Another road leading out of the village is the Newton Road: just a narrow country lane at the time of the photograph with wide grass verges and overgrown hedges, with a few large houses at the village end of the wad. Further out, towards Newton and Harston, stood Moor Barns Farm with its isolated cottages and further on still, merging with Harston, was the gamekeeper's house. This northern end of the village is now crossed by the Mll rnotorway, which sweeps across the horizon and dwarfs Newton and Hauxton Roads with its towering bridges and embankments.

75. One of the larger houses built towards the end of the last century was the Red House which is situated in Newton Raad. Mr. George BagnaIllived there for weIl over twenty years and he was weIl known as a successful cultivator of mushrooms and asparagus. Another large house which was erected during the last century was Saintfoins in Whittlesford Raad. This was bought by Hamer Towgood in 1860 and he lived there until his death in 1914. Mr. Alfred Peart bought Saintfoins in June 1914 for f2,000. A few months later, whilst alterations we re being made, there was a serious fire, the house was burnt out and only the walls were left standing. However. Mr. Peart persevered and the house was re built for his occupation.

76. 'He lived an advocate for liberty, a good subject, an agreeable companion, a faithful friend, an hospitabie neighbour and in all parts of life a useful member of society.' This is part of the engraving to be found on the obelisk which is situated on St. Margaret's Mount, or Maggots Mount, a high vantage point to the west of the village that can be reached by a footpath frorn Newton Raad. It was erected in 1739 to the memory of Mr. Gregory Wale by his friend, James Church. They regularly met at this place on horseback over many years and agreed that whoever should live the longest. would erect a memorial to their friendship on this high ground overlooking the parish. It was Mr. Church who lived to carry out this pact.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek