Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Inverclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1527-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Prince's Pier.

9 The vessel in the fareground seen leaving Prince's Pier is the 'Jupiter'. This steamer was launched on 21 March 1896 with her name being conferred by Miss Jessie Watson of Hawick. The vessel was built by]. and G. Thomson of Clydebank far the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company at a cast of f:23,550.This was the fourth steamer which was built by]. and G. Thomson far that company. The construction of the 'Jupiter' was supervised by Captain Alexander Williamson and Mr. Robert Marton. A main feature of the steamer was

the promenade deck which extended to the bow. Electric light was also provided throughout the vessel. The general appearance of the 'Jupiter' was similar to that ofthe 'Glen Sannox' which

was built in 1892. However, the 'Jupiter' was not

as large as she and only had one funnel. The 'Jupiter' was the most powerful vessel to appear in the fleet of the Glasgow and South

Western Railway Company with the exception of the 'Glen Sannox'. She was finally broken-up by]. and G. Thomson in 1 935.

Prince's Pier.

10 In this view the 'Duchess of Rothesay' lies berthed at Prince's Pier. She was launched on 20 April 1895 from the yard of

]. and G. Thomson, Clydebank. This paddle steamer was built for the coast service of the Caledonian Steam Packet Company Ltd. Captain Iarnes Williams supervised the construction of the vessel on behalf ofthe owners.The 'Duchess of Rothesay' was fitted with the latest improvements ofthe time, including electric light. Light teak deck-houses were erected at the head of each stairway, which led from the

promenade deck in order to prevent rain and spray being blown down in stormy weather. The firstclass saloon was panelled with mahogany and satinwood. In this saloon there

were also large square windows, the tops ofwhich were hinged to give through ventilation. The 'Duchess of Rothesay' is considered ra have been one of the most attractive

steamers which ever sailed on the Clyde. She was in service until 1946 wh en she was broken-up by

]. and G. Thomson Ltd.

Interior ofPrince's Pier Station.

11 There are many views of the exterior views of the station but this shows a rarer view of the interior. This station was officially opened on 25 May 1894 and replaced the previous station which was built in 1869. The two main platforms were about 600 feet in length by 35 feet in breadth. A new siding was formed on the west side of the station while the one to the east had been improved and extended. Hydraulic lifts were provided in order to speed up the conveyance ofluggage, pareels and other traffîc between the steamers and the trains. On the west side immediately above the steps leading from the platform to the pier was the

office of Mr. Peter Kerr, who was the stationmaster in 1894. On the same side, further south, there was a general waiting-room, a left luggage office and rooms for guards and porters. On this side there

were also two outlets leading to the approach from Brougham Street. At the north end of the station was a large booking office opposite which was the newspaper stall. Ihe telegraph office, a general

waiting room and first and second dass refreshment rooms were located on the east side. A contemporary newspaper report pointed out that all of the offices and waiting rooms were tastefully furnished.

Prince's Pier.

12 This is a typical scene in former years when Prince's Pier was extremely busy with the arrival and departure of the various steamers. There would have been many passengers embarking and disembarking. Cargo was also loaded as in this scene, where a number of milk churns are being unloaded to await the arrival of a steamer. The 'Queen Alexandra' is the vessel in the foreground. She was built in 1 9 12 by William Denny and Bros. and was owned byTurbine Steamers Ltd. There was a previous steamer with the same name. The first public sailing of the second 'Queen Alexandra' was on 23 May 1912 when she sailed on a cruise from Greenock and Gourock to

Campbeltown. On 3 Iune 1912 this steamer began a regular daily service to Campbeltown from Prince's Pier and Fairlie. During the First World War the 'Queen Alexandra' served as a troopship and on one occasion rammed and sank a German submar-

ine. At the conclusion of the war she was reconditioned and operated on the sailing to Inveraray until

1 927 and thereafter resumed her previous route to Campbeltown. David Macbrayne acquired Turbine Steamers Ltd. and Williamson and Buchanan

in 1 935. As a re sult the 'Queen Alexandra' was laid up at Greenock with orders that a complete overhaul should take place. The transformed vessel was known as the 'St. Columba' . This vessel was finally broken up in Port Glasgow in 1959.

Prince's Pier.

13 This card serves to advertise the sailings of the Glasgow and South Western steamers from Prince's Pier. The paddle steamer 'Glen Sannox' is shown here. She was built by

]. and G. Thomson Ltd. of Clydebank in 1892 at a cast of nO,OOO.Ihe 'Glen Sannox' was launched on 26 March 1892 with the intention that she would be the regular vessel on the route to Arran. She was a large two-funnelled steamer and was the first vessel on the Clyde with the plating carried up ra promenade deck level at the bow. At her trials on 1 Iune

1892 the 'Glen Sannox' averaged a speed of 19.5 knots on two runs over the measured mile. On one of these runs she achieved the speed of 20.25 knots. She also averaged a speed of 1 9

knots dming four hours of continuous steaming in the Firth of Clyde. As a re sult of these speeds the 'Glen Sannox' became the fastest steamer on the Clyde in 1892. She was in service

for over thirty years and was finally broken up in 1925.

P.S. 'Caledonia'.

14 This paddle steamer was photographed from another vessel at Greenock. She was built in 1934 by William Denny and Bros. Ltd. of Dumbarton. Ihe 'Caledonia' was able to carry a totalof 1 ,730 passengers. She began her service with the Caledonian Steam Packet Company in 1 935 on the ferry runs from Gourock, Wemyss Bay and Largs. In addition, she was regularly seen on cruises all around the Firth of Clyde. From 1936 to 1939 she was the successor to the 'Duchess of Argyll' on the sailing to Arran from Gourock via the Kyles of Bute. At the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 the 'Caledonia' was requisitioned as a minesweeper and re-named

H.M.S. 'Goatfell'. At a later period in the war she was converted to an anti-aircraft vessel. In 1945 she was refitted and resumed her old runs until 1954. After this time the 'Caledo-

nia' was a relief steamer and excursion vessel on the Lower Firth. Her final years on the Clyde were on the Craigendoran-to-Arran run via the Kyles ofBute. She was withdrawn from ser-

vice in 1969 and was later purchased by Bass Charrington Ltd., who taak her to the Thames in London for service as a floating pub.

West Quay.

15 Theperiod 1889-1914 was very important in the history of Clyde steamers. The main companies involved were the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company, the Caledonian Steam Packet Company, the North British Steam Packet Company and the N or th British Railway Company. Other companies involved included the following:

Buchanan Steamers Ltd., Campbeltown and Glasgow Steam Packet Joint Stock Company Ltd., David MacBrayne Ltd., Turbine Steamers Ltd. and Firth of Clyde Steam Packet Company Ltd. A.].S. Paters on

(1 967) has stated that by the 1880s steamers had become an integral part of the life for those who resided in the coastal towns

and villages in the Firth of Clyde. The existence of larger fleets was more comman and it became obvious that there was not much future for the 'single steamer' owner. Towards

the end of the 188 Os the railway companies in particular made a great effort ra increase pass enger numbers. A.].S. Paters on has stated the following: 'The following quarter of a cen-

tury ending in the outbreak of the Great War was the most colourful and extravagant period of Clyde Steamer history.'

General Post office.

16 This building in Cathcart Street has been in use for a century. The first post office in Greenock was established in 1753. Iohn Paton was the postmaster and he operated from premises which were part of a shed that had been built to house the waterengine! The post office operated from many different locations in subsequent years. In 1 829 the post office moved to Watt Place and in 1834 to 1 Church Place. A further move occurred in 1862 when it was re-located in the Provident Bank Buildings in William Street. In 1877 the post office moved to a new site on the west side of Customhouse Buildings and in 1882 to Wallace Square. The postmasters

from the late 1880 s to the 1920s with their year of appointment were as follows: WK. Bryson, 1889; H.].]. Melsom, 1897; D.A. Miller, 1 902; ]. Macintyre, 1908; D. MacPherson, 1916;]. McMaster, 1921.

GENERAL POST OFFICE. GREENOCK.

Brougham Street.

17 An open-topped tram proceeds along Brougham Street. The large standards which carried the powerlines and the tramway rails have been removed. It was in 1872 wh en horsedrawn trams were introduced to Greenock, the route being from the east end of Cathcart Street to the Gourock boundary. The cast of this undertaking to Greenock Corporation was nl ,412 3s. 7 d. There were plans to build an extensive tramway system but this did not occur. After the main line was laid it was leased to the Vale of Clyde Company for 21 years. On the expiry of this lease in 1893 offers were received from this company and the Greenock and Port Glasgow Company for a lease

of the town tramways for seven years. The latter company offered fJOO per year which was accepted. In 1898 the Greenock and Port Glasgow Company obtained the necessary

permis sion to electrify the line. This company entered into a 28-year lease, subject to breaks, in 1900. Two years later in 1902 objections were raised regarding the running of trams on

Sundays but the matter was soon resolved and many church-goers taak advantage of the services offered.

BROUGHAM S (~GR ( OCK

Hamilton Street.

18 This view shows the former layout of Hamilton Street on a summer's day when many shops have put up their awnings. It is interesting to observe that there are only two cars to be seen and also that many pedestrians are walking on the street. Hamilton Street is now known as Hamilton Way and is contained within the Oak Mall.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek