Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

:   John F. Anderson
:   Inverclyde
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-1527-8
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Mansion House.

29 The Mansion House was demolished in 1886 by the Caledonian Railway Company wh en their branch line to Gourock was being constructed. Great regret was feit in the community as a re sult of its demolition. It is thought that the main portion of the property was built in the fourteenth century. Until1886 it was possible to locate the dates 1635 and 1674 in the Mansion House. The property was the residence of the ancestors of Sir Michael Robert Shaw Stewart (1826-1903) for generations. Prior to

the industrial development

of Greenock, the policies of the Mansion House extended to the Whinhill and the shores of the Clyde. The property ceased ra be a family residence in 179 1. At that time it was taken

over by the officials who managed the Greenock estates, the then Lord ofthe Manor removing ra Ardgowan.

Halley Stewart.

30 Halley Stewart was Liberal M.P. for Greenock from 1906 ra 1910.

He had been M.P. for the Spalding Division of Lincolnshire from 1 887 to 1895. In 1 891 he became a ]ustice of the Peace for Sussex. Halley Stewart held the following positions:

Vice-Chairman of the London Brick Company, Chairman of B.]. Forder and Son Ltd., Cement Manufacturers, partner in Stewart Bros. and Spencer, Rochester and founder and first editor of the Hastings and St. Leenard's Times. He also believed that all men and women should be given the vote and advocated both religious equality and the abolition of State-aid for the teaching of religion in schools. Halley Stewart

was knighted in 1 932. He was the founder and Chairman of the Sir Halley Stewart Trust for Research Towards the Christian Ideal in All Social Life and President of the Society for the Liberation of Religion from State Patronage and Control. Sir Halley Stewart died in 1937 at the great age ofninety-nine.



West End.

3 1 A trio of vessels of variaus dimensions make progress on the Clyde in this view. Same of the substantial properties of the West End can be seen here. R.M. Smith (1 92 1) has drawn attention ra the main reasans for the establishment of a residential area in Greenock. These were as follows: first, a desire ra move away from the stifling atmosphere of congested lanes and poorly ventilated hauses; second, an accumulation of wealth; third, the availability of suitable sites nearby for the building ofmansions, villas, pleasure grounds and gardens. This movement ra the west of the town began in the early years of the nineteenth century.

Greenock Amateur Operatie Society.

32 The cast of the Society's production of 'The Gondoliers' can be seen in a wide variety of costumes in this view from the early decades of the twentieth century. "The Gondoliers' was a comic opera which was written and composed by the partnership of Sir William Schwenck Gilbert (1836-1 9 11) and Sir Arthur Seymour Sullivan (1842-1900). 'The Gondoliers' was written and composed in 1889.




PR,wno 8V oIOH" IolITOtc.LL ~

Greenock Amateur Operatie Society.

33 Members of the Society are seen dressed for their roles in a production of Gilbert and Suilrvan's 'Iolanthe' . This comic opera was written and composed in 1882. A report in the 'GreenockIelegraph' of

2 1 March 1906 stated the following: 'Instead ofthe usual ephemeral postcard which hitherto has been the only pictorial memento of the opera performed by the local societies, the enterprise ofMr.A. S. Hay has produced an octavo baak of 48 pages, profusely illustrated which will be worthy of a place in the lit-

erary memorabilia of those interested in the production of "Iolanthe".' This baak contained pictures of the various characters in the opera and the honorary office- bearers of the

Greenock Amateur Operatic Society. The photographer for the baak was Iohn Walker.


Creenock Amateur Operatio Society In "Iolanthe."


Ship collision.

34 The colli sion ofthe 'Kathleeri' and the 'Stromboli' occurred in the closing hours of 1904. The 'Kathleeri' , a vessel of 1,017 tons, had sailed from Bilbao with 2,200 tons of iron ore. The 'Stromboli' , a vessel of 1,011 tons, was outward from Glasgow and was sailing to Mediterranean ports. It was a somewhat hazy night on 31 December 1904.The'Kathleen' left the Tail of the Bank at about 7 p.m. on her way to Glasgow. The vessel proceeded normally until she rounded Garvel Point when the 'Stromboli' was observed approaching. The lights on bath vessels were burning clearly. However, the two vessels collided violently just opposite Garvel

Graving Dock. The impact was so great that the vessels remained locked and the 'Kathleeri' almast sunk immediately. Andrew McIntosh, the chief engineer on the 'Kathleen ' , and J ames

of the submerged aft deck ofthe 'Kathleeri' but was freed soon afterwards. Bath the 'Kathleeri' and the 'Strornboli' were later successfully raised.

Struthers, third engineer on the same vessel, lost their lives as a re sult of the collision. The vessel on the extreme left of this view is the 'Ardbeg' . On 5 Ianuary 1905 she ran on to the top

Ardgowan Bowling Green.

35 The frontage of the bowling green clubhouse is shown to advantage here. Tennis is also being played in this view and the lang trousers warn by the men are an indication of the period when this scene was photographed. The church tower behind the clubhouse is that of Ardgowan Parish Church.

Ardgowan Bowling Green.

36 This scene shows a game of bowls taking place on a sumrner's day in the 193 Os. It is interesting to notice that the players are dressed in suits while the wamen and children who are viewing the proceedings are dressed in more appropriate clothing for the time of year.

Bowling Green and Mansion House.

37 As a result of the large increase in members of the Ardgowan Bowling Club in 1905 the former clubhouse shown here was found to be inadequate

and a decision was made for a new building to be erected. By April 1906 the new clubhouse had been built. It was described in the 'GreenockTelegraph' as a 'Bowl-House'i The new clubhouse consisted of a large bowl room having direct access to the greens with a committee room and tennis rooms for ladies and gentlemen. The report in the 'GreenockTelegraph' of 6 April 1 906 also stated the following: "The exterior is treated in a tasteful manner. The half timber gables, over-hanging eaves,

porch and corner tower, rough-cast walls and the ridges together with the scheme of colour, makes a very picturesque building.' The building of the new clubhouse taak place during the period when

Mr. Iohn Miller held office as President of the club. The contractors were Messrs.

]. and R. Kirk. Messrs. Stewart, Tough and Alexander were the architects. The Mansion House is partially visible to the right of the

clubhouse. It was built in

1 886 and designed by

R. Rowand Anderson. Ir was originally built to contain the estate offices for the Shaw Stewart family when the Mansion House at Well Park was demolished.

Playing Fields, Fort Matilda.

38 A game of cricket is in progress in this view. In the early years of the twentieth century the grounds of Greenock Cricket Club were at Glenpark offUnion Street.In 1903-1904 Sir Michael R. Shaw Stewart was the patron of the club. The other main officebearers were as follows:

]. McClure, Honorary President; S. Macdougall, VicePresident; A. Ballantine, Captain; R.A. Clapperton, Treasurer. The writer of the entry for the Parish and Burgh of Greenock in the Third Statistical Account drew attention to the fact

that 'cricket has never had such a firm hold on Greenock affections as has football' . He also referred to Iohn Kerr, who was a prominent batsman in Greenock and Scottish

cricket. Iohn Kerr was responsible for the encouragement of junior cricket in the town.


<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek