Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Inverclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1527-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Wellington Bowling Green.

39 A group ofbowlers pose for the photographer at the Wellington Bowling Green in the early 1900s. The flagpole beside the clubhouse is a prominent feature, but na flag has been haisted. This card was posted in April 1905. In 1905-1906, the officebearers of the Wellington Bowling club were as follows: A. Thomson, President; D. Allan, Vice- President; Wm. Strachan, Ireasurer; G. Ferguson Jr., Secretary.

Tennis Courts, Lady Octavia Park.

40 Tennis is being played in this view of Lady Octavia Park. It is interesting to abs erve that the men are wearing long trousers while playing. This park was named after Lady Octavia Shaw Stewart, wife of Sir Michael Shaw Stewart, 7th Baronet. She was the fifth daughter of the 2nd Marquis ofWestminster. The park was opened on

7 April 1911.

The Lady Allee Park.

41 In this pre- First World War scene a game offootball is being played in the Lady Alice Park. Football has been widely supported in Greenock for many years. In the Greenock Directory of 1902-1903 there are references to the following clubs: Greenock Volunteer Football Club, Volunteer Park; Morton Football and Athletic Club, Cappielow Park; Greenock Overton Football Club, Cappielow Park; Wanderers' Football Club (Rugby Rules), Battery Park. There were also the Greenock and District Junior Football Association and the Ren-

frewshire FootballAssociation. A notable achievement in the annals of Greenock footballing history was the winning of the Scottish Cup by Morton in 1922.

Auchmountain Glen Boys' Club House.

42 Until1886 the main attraction in Auchmountain Glen was a spring of cooling water. In that year at a time of a great trade depression Sir Michael Shaw Stewart gave permission to a group ofworkmen to build a pathway through the Glen from Kilmacolm Raad to the Whin Hill. R.M. Smith (1 92 1 ) has described the Glen in his 'History of Greenock' in the following terms: 'Transformed by the labours of the Auchmountain Boys, the Glen became a fairy grove to which in the season there flows a

steady stream of townspeople and sojaurners.' Four 'boys' can be seen standing in the well-maintained garden in front of the Club House.

Boys'WeIl, Auchmountain GIen.

43 The busts ofSirWalter Scott, J ames Watt and Robert Burns were placed in position on the well at a public ceremony in 1887. Sir Walter Scott (177 11832), poet, novelist, critic and biographer, was born in Edinburgh, the san of a lawyer. He practically invented the historical navel and in this area he has never been surpassed. He had a great influence on other authors which extended throughout Europe. Sir Walter Scott in his greatness and humanity has been described as ranking alongside Homer and Shakespeare.

JamesWatt (1736-1819) is undoubtedly Greenock's most famous san. In 1757 he opened an instrument-

making repair shop within the University of Glasgow. In 1765 he invented the separate condenser for the steam-engine which was patented in 1 769. J ames Watt entered into a partnership with Matthew

Boulton in Birmingham in 1775 for the manufacture of steam engines.

Robert Burns (17591796), Scotland's National Bard, had a romantic association with Mary Campbell (Highland Mary)

whose grave is in Greenock Cemetery. He is considered to be the greatest of all writers of love songs. The Greenock Burns Club will have been in existence for two hundred years in

200 1.

Fountain and Steps, Auchmountain GIen.

44 This view shows further examples of the work which was undertaken by the Auchmountain Boys. The 'Boys' also built bridges and paths in order that walkers could see the waterfalls and craggy slopes of the Glen. This card was written from an address in Cathcart Street. It was posted in Greenock on 12 February 1914.

Greenock Scene.

45 This card is marked on the reverse as a 'Coronation Souvenir' for King George V, who was crowned in Westminster Abbey on 22 Iune 1911. On this horsedrawn float a large sign encourages people ra learn to swim. The adults and children in the foreground are participants in a cyde parade and are dressed in a variety of costumes which even indudes 'Santa Claus'! Cyde parades were popular in the early decades of the twentieth century. Same of the participants in this view can be seen with their boxes on which is written 'Cycle Parade'.

Esplanade.

46 A solitary horse-drawn vehicle is seen here on the Esplanade which is deserted except for two figures. Below the steps on the left is the memorial fountain which was erected to commemorate the novelist JohnGalt (1779-1839). He was born in Irvine, Ayrshire, but his family moved to Greenock wh en he was ten years of age. After leaving the local grammar school he became an apprentice at the Greenock Custom House. In 1796 he entered the mercantile offices of Iames Miller and Company as a junior clerk. Galt moved to London in 1804 to work in business but he was not successful in this venture. Galt's best known work is 'Annals of the Parish' which was pub-

lished in 1821. He became Secretary to the Canada Company and between 1825 and 1829 hevisited Canada as a member of a government commission which was investigating

the issue of emigration. In 1829 Galt returned to Britain but was imprisoned because ofhis extensive debts. After his release he came to live in Greenock wh ere he wrote several

navels before his death in 1839. Iohn Galt's grave is located in the cemetery off Inverkip Street in Greenock.

Esplanade.

47 A solitary figure is seated on a beneh on the Esplanade while three vesseis of different types are seen plying the waters of the Clyde. Formerly there were a vast number of paddie steamers and other vesseis whieh sailed on these waters. There were a large number of steamer routes to many eommunities in the Firth of Clyde. Many thousands of holidaymakers from Glasgow used these routes when they went' doon the watter' from the Broomielaw at the Fair Fortnight Holiday in ]uly of eaeh year.

Esplanade, looking west.

48 The broad sweep of the Esplanade is apparent in this view. Sandringham Terrace is visible on the left ofthis scene. In 1863 Provast Grieve informed the harbour Trust that he had a plan for using the debris from the ground on which the Albert Harbour was being built. His plan was to extend Clyde Street to Fort Matilda 'sa as ra form a fine Esplanade' . However, the original plans for the building of the Esplanade had been made in 1 857 by Messrs. Bell and Miller, who were civil engineers

in Glasgow. The building of the Esplanade was com-

pleted in 1867 at a cast of f.,18,428. The financing of the Esplanade's construction was the subject of criticism in the 18 60s, but others believed that the actual cast was nothing com-

pared to the advantages that would result. The beliefs of these supporters have been amply justified and the Esplanade remains as one of Greenock's attractions.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek