Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Inverclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1527-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Watt Institution and Museum,

59 The Watt Institution is now known as the Watt Library. Edward Blore was the architect of this building which consists of three storeys and is designed in battlernented English Tudor style. It was built in the years between 1835 and 1846. Mr. Watt ofSoho, san of Iarnes Watt, paid for the cast of its erection, the sum being n,OOO.The site of this building was given by Sir Michael Shaw Stewart. A marbie statue of Iarnes Watt by Sir Frances Chantrey can be seen inside the Watt Library. It was erected by public subscription at a cast of f:l,OOO. The following inscription by Lord Jeffrey can be seen on the base of this statue:

"The inhabitants of Green-

ock have erected this statue of]amesWatt, not to extend a farne already identified with the miracles of steam, but to testify the pride and reverence with which he is remembered in the place of his nativity, and their deep sense of the great benefits his genius

has conferred on mankind. Born 19th Ianuary 1736. Died at Heathfield in Staffordshire August 15th

18 1 9.' The McLean Museum, formerly known as the Watt Museum and Lecture Hall, was built in 1 876 at a cast of f:70,OOO.The architect was A. Adamson.

A plaque in the building states the following: "This building comprising museum and lecture hall was erected and endowed for the inhabitants of his native town by Iarnes McLean, Timber Merchant, Greenock, 1876.'

Waf{ Jn6(j{ufion and cJY(u6eum, 8reenook

Va.lentin Series

Caledonian Station.

60 The Glasgow to Greenock railway was opened on 31 March 1841. The building of the new railway line was undertaken by the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway Company with much of its stock being purchased by wealthy citizens of Greenock. ]oseph Locke was the consuiting engineer.

The cast of building this railway line exceeded the original estimates because of the extensive problems which were encountered at the Bishopton Tunnel. As a result, preference shares in the company were issued and only a nominal div-

idend was paid on the original stock. In 1847

the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway Company amalgamated with the Caledonian Railway Company. The original sta-

1888 because of the building of the branch line to Gourock and was replaced by a new station.

tion in Cathcart Street was designed and built in 1841. The architect was Sir William Tite, who had designed Euston Station in London. The Caledonian Station was demolished in

West End and Auchmountain GIen.

61 This eard shows two aspeets of Greenoek, these being the substantial mansions of the West End and Auehmountain Glen. Finnart St. Paul's Chureh ean also be seen in this view.Ihe eard also has the emblem of the Burgh of Greenoek and the thistle whieh is the national emblem of Seotland. The Very Rev. Dr. Charles Laing Warr (1892-1969), a former minister of St. Paul's Chureh before it united with Finnart Chureh, was Dean of the Order of the Thistle for over forty years. The Order of the Thistle is thought to have been founded by King Iarnes V in 1540 and dedieated ra St. Andrew, the patron saint of Seotland. The order was

restored by King Iames VII ofSeotland and II of England in 1 687. At that time the order eonsisted of the Sovereign and eight Knight Companions. However,

wh en King Iames lost his thrones in 1688 the order was temporarily suspended. In 1 703 the order was re-established by Queen Anne, who deereed that it should be eomposed of the Sovereign and twelve Knight Companions. This number was inereased ra sixteen in 1827.

TheCut.

62 A lady with her dog walks on The Greenock Cut in this winter scene of 1904. The reason far the building of The Cut with its open aqueducts was to provide Greenock with a supply of fresh water, because by the early nineteenth century one person in six in the town was dying from typhoid as a result of paar sanitation. Robert Thom, a civil engineer, completed the building of The Cut in 1 827. The water in the aqueducts came from Loch Thom (ariginally the Little Caspian) . The Cut was used until 1972 when a new underground

pipeline of 1.25 miles was built. In the same year the Greenock Cut was named as an ancient monument by the Department of the Environment.

TheCut.

63 A gentleman dressed in the style of the period is seen on The Cut in 1906. He is well-equipped for a walk with his cap, stick and raincaat. The Cut is still a popular walking route taday, as it has been sin ce it was built in 1 82 7 . Impressive views of the tewn's surraundings can be seen while walking on The Cut.

Greenock from The Cut.

64 The geographical setting of Greenock is strongly emphasized in this view. Thomas Pennant, the English traveller, described the views in and around Greenock in the eighteenth century as follows: 'Along the skirts of the hills there are many eligible situations for those who have a relish for the beauty and magnificence of nature. Below them are the towns of Greenock and Port Glasgow with their convenient and crowded harbours.

On the opposite side of the Firth are in view the parishes of West Kilpatriek, Dumbarton with its rock and castle, Cardross, Rhu and the peninsular parish

of Roseneath on the southeast of which is a castle of the Duke of Argyll with flourishing plantations. In ascending the Greenock hills the prospect is still varied and extending.'

West Harbour.

65 The 'Flying Elf' lies berthed in this scene. She was built in 1889 by the shipbuilders ].T. Eltringham. Her engines were built by ].P. Rennoldson. Greenock was formerly a very important seaport. The total value of foreign and colonial imports was ß,278,155 in 1875, fJ,947,491 in 1877, ß,097,602 in 1879, and ß,349,115 in 1881.In

1 882 these foreign and colonial imports comprised 3,497,217 hundredweights of unrefined and 154,453 of refined sugar, 156,935 loads oftimber and 111,060 hundred-

weights of corn. The value of exports to foreign ports amounted to r.r ,493,405 in 183 1, but this declined in 1 8 8 1 ra n 8 6 , 9 73 .

East Shaw Street Mission.

66 This is the scene at the Harvest Festival in the East Shaw Street Mission of the Episcopal Church. The first Episcopal church in Greenock was built in 1824 at a cast of f:2,300 on a site which was to the west of the present St. John's Episcopal Church in Union Street. It was designed by Iames Dempster and provided accommodation for 400 worshippers.Ihe church was consecrated on 30 April 1825 by the Rt. Rev. Daniel Sandford, Bishop of Edinburgh.

St. John's Episcopal Church was opened in 1877 and consecrated in 1 878.

EAST SHAW llTREET MISSION, GREENOCK.

HARVEST FESTIVAL, 11107.

Rev. W. H. Addicott.

67 The Rev. William Henry Addicott (1 857 1906) was the sixth minister of George Square Congregational Church, Greenock. He became minister ofthis church in 1893 and served till1906 wh en he died suddenly at an early age. Mr. Addicott had preached the sermon in this church on 10 December 1905 in commemoration of its centenary. Mr. Addicott was highly regarded by his congregation for his pastoral care, his intellectual powers and his preaching. He was also one of the most popular men in Greenock and had been elected to the School Board. Mr. Addicott would have been Chairman of the Congregational Union of Scotland had he lived a few

months langer. In addition, he would also have been Chairman of the Greenock School Board. His early death deprived the town of one who truly had much to offer, bath to his church and the wider community.

uav, W. IJ. ADDICOTT.

Greenock from west.

68 Ihis close-up ofbungalows demonstrates the continuing growth and development of Greenock through the centuries. The contrast in style is marked between the two nineteenth-century villas, which are visible here, and the bungalows. The cranes in the distance emphasize the importance of Greenock as a port and an industrial centre in past years. In the early 1880s timber was sold from a building on Prince's Pier. At that time timber was floated on the margin of the river above the town and Port Glasgow. This was a significant fea-

ture of the shore scenery when viewed from the railway or steamer. In 1 883 Greenock ranked as the sixth town of Scotland in terms of population.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek