Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   John F. Anderson
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Inverclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1527-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Greenock in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Greenock from west.

69 Church spires, cranes and industrial chimneys are seen in this panoramic view of Greenock. The tewn's proximity to the Clyde is shown to advantage in this view. The Victoria Tower is also a dominant feature and is visible

on the right of this scene. A description of Greenock in 1 883 in the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland reads as follows: 'Terraces of villa residences are planted here and there, and generally the slopes are pleasantly variegated with gardenplots and other concomitants of the suburban districts of a large town. Charming as is the site of

Greenock, the view commanded by the town is much more so. Associated in the public mind with all the customary smokiness and dirt of manufacturing centres, Greenock is never-

theless striking for the airiness and freshness of its surroundings. Looking across St. Laurence's Bay the eye rests on the fringe of the magnificent scenery of the Western Highlands.'

OMt.CNOCIt f'MOM Wk.ST

Greenock from WeIl Park.

70 The massive Victoria Tower dominates its surroundings in this view. The scale of this structure and the size and quality of the civic buildings of Greenock clearly demonstrate the great wealth of the town in the nineteenth century. However, one shipowner made the following critical observation in 1888 wh en he states: 'Every beauty but the beauty of economy has been studied in the erection ofthe Municipal Buildings.' FA. Walker (1986) has pointed out that the architects H. and

D. Barclay who gained the commis sion in competition with more than eighty other architects 'achieved a complex design drenched

in classical detail and sculpture with lavishly garnished interiors' .

War Memorial, WeIl Park.

7 1 Ihe Memorial has been in this location since

1 924. Ir was erected to commemorate over 1,500 men from Greenock who were killed in the First World War. It also commemorates those who lost their lives in the Second World War. At the unveiling of the Memoriaion 4 October 1924 Provost Baxter stated the following: 'I am proud to have the honour of accepting the care and custady of the Memorial on behalf of the Corporation. This supervision ought to be a very light duty as this beautiful stane of remembrance should be treasured by all the members of the community, young and old, on account of its artistic conception and those wh om it is com-

memorating. Our town sa far has not many outward evidences of the artistic ideals ofits citizens'. Many wreaths were placed at the base of the Memoriaion the day of its unveiling. The

first to be placed was from the Corporation of Greenock, followed by those from Greenock Police Force, the different units of the Navy and the Army, exservicemen, churches and

schools. The entire base of the Memorial was soon a mass of floral tributes. Many people remained to view the wreaths long after the official ceremony had ended.

Red Lamp Esplanade.

72 A fashionably dressed lady walks along the Esplanade while a boy sits on the railing in this illustrated card which was posted in Greenock on

28 December 1910.A variety of craft can be seen in this view. This card was one of the 'Bosca' series which were published by Arthur S. Hay. It was sent

to an address in Bentinck Street and part of the message reads as follows: 'I am going down to yam cousin to cut his hair in Brougham Street tonight at 9.'

RED LAMP E8PLANADE. OREENOCK.

Belville Place Public School.

73 This was one of the eleven schools which were under the control of Greenock School Board in the early 18 80s. At that time there were also two schools which were maintained by the Roman Catholic Church. In addition, there was a school ofnavigation and engineering and an industrial school. Ladies' schools and other 'adventure ' schools were also in existence.

BELVILLE PLACE PUBLIC SCHOOL, REENOCK.

jarnes Watt Doek.

74 Ihe Iames Watt Dock was built on the Garvel estate. lts construction began with the cutting of the first sod on 1 August 1879, the foundation-stone being laid on 6 August 1881. The official opening ceremony taak place on 5 August 1886. This doek was designed byWalter R. Kinniple and built by Iohn Waddell with dimensions of 2,000 feet in length, 300 feet in width and a depth of 3 2 feet at low water. In order to further extend harbour accommodation in Greenock an Act was passed in 1880 giving power to build a massive

river-wall from Garvel Point to Inchgreen. This was an extensive undertaking in the course of which electric light was used for the first time in Scotland for any public purpose.

Albert Harbour.

75 The foundation-stone of the Albert Harbour was laid with great ceremony on 7 August 1 862. The area of the harbour extended to 10.75 acres, the quay accommodation was 4,230 feet, the depth at low water 14 feet and at high tide

24 feet. The building of the nearby railway terminus by the Glasgow and SouthWestern Railway Company was of considerable benefit to the Albert Harbour. In 1882 the harbour trustees decided to improve and dredge the harbour, to widen its north-western arm and to erect new sheds at a cast of 05,23 O.

Sunset, Prince's Pier.

76 This picture of the much-photographed Prince's Pier at sunset evokes a sense of days long past when many steamers called here and conveyed large numbers afpassengers ra numerous destinations.The age ofthe paddle-steamer is na more, particularly those 'Golden Years of the Clyde Steamers' from 1889 to 1914. These years are extremely important in the transport history of the West of Scotland.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek