Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. In 1881 William Strickland purchased an area of land opposite Cortlandt and laid out Victoria Road on part of It, keeping the section fronting George Street for the establishment of a deer paddock on which he kept three head of deer - a stag and two does - together with a pair of peacocks, A brick and tile shelter for the animals was erected with a central doek tower and the clock was illuminated by gas in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The building was demolished in the 1930's and the clock was eventually re-built and installed in the window of the Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society Museum in Western Raad. An office building was erected on the site for the Sussex River Authority and subsequently the Police Station moved there from its previous home adjacent to the Magistrates' Court.

10. The exact age of The George Hotel is not known because, although its frontage is eighteenth century, there is evidence of older work inside. It has always been one of the leading inns of the town and was fameus for its 'marker ordinaries', i.e. dinners for farmers attending the market when such a visit involved a whole day out. It was also the hostelry where one went to hire a fly, post chaise or other means of conveyance. A billiards room was another of the amenities It provided. Until the present Magistrates Courts were built in 1861 the Petty Sessions were held in two upstairs rooms at The George. The landlord in the 1830's was James Bray Baker, a cricketer of county standard who is credited with winning a single wicket match against eleven Eastbourne players with one William Martin, a shoemaker, to field for him.

11. This photograph shows the oid fifteenth century house at the corner of High Street and George Street. At one time there was a gallery where the first floor jetty overhangs the George Street footpath but this had to be removed because it was a hazard to coaches turning the corner. Nearby in Market Square stood a Market Cross - similar, it is said, to that still standing in Alfriston. This, too, was removed as a traffic hazard in the early nineteenth century and unfortunately there are no paintings or engravings of it. The stores in front of which three ladies are standing was the original site of the Crown Hotel, which stood there until about 1780. When the building was re-built in the 1970's a Tudor stone archway and fireplace were exposed,

12. The building at the corner of High Street and George Street is now seen as it was in the early 1920's. It was demolished in 1935 and a new building was erected on the site for the Westminster Bank, which became the National Westminster Bank in the late 1960's upon amalgamation with the National Provincial Bank. The building beyond the horse and cart on the left hand side of the photograph at one time was the site of a blacksmith's shop. In the background can be seen some ofthe trees in the Deer Paddock. Among the group of children posing for the photographer can be seen a boy with rus iron hoop, a popular possession of boys at that time. One Hallsham resident recalls rolling his hoop all the way to Eastbourne and back - he says it helped to make the journey seem shorter,

13. St. Mary's, the facing building on the right of the picture, had a seventeenth century frontage and this view shows several windows which had been bricked up following the introduetion of the Window Tax in 1696. The rear part was much older and, during alterations, the date 1583 was found cut into a beam. The house on the Ieft, adjoining the churchyard, was a butcher's shop for over a hundred years and the right-hand side of the house became one of Hailsharn's first banks - the London and County. The present Estate Agents building replaced it in 1909. In the first part of the nineteenth century, when the butener's shop was kept by a man named Kennett, one of his customers was the local doctor, Dr. Long. His daily order never varied throughout the year - always one and a half pounds of beef steak which he had made into a pudding.

14. About 1540 a building was erected in Market Street which was an inn known as the Fleur-de-Lys until 1762 when it was acquired by the parish and became the Poor House until1854. Later the northern end of the building was used as the Post Office and the southern end as an undertakers and wheelwright's shop. The picture shows the wheelwright's shop in 1889 afterit had been badly darnaged by fire despite the efforts of the Hailsharn and Eastbourne Fire Brigades. The Post Office part of the building was repaired and became a private dwelling while the remainder was demolished and a new building erected which became the Fire Station until the present Fire Station was built in Victoria Road in the 1960's. The flat-roofed building to the right of the picture was Christians Tea-room; it was badly darnaged by a bomb during an air raid in 1943 and had to be demolished.

15. In Marshfoot Lane, about one mile from the Vicarage and at the end of the ridge where it begins to slope down towards sea level, stood Marshfoot House which dated back at least to the sixteenth century and possibly much earlier. The building was demolished around the end of the nineteenth century. Tradition says it was a grange ofWilmington Priory but it is more likely to have been connected with either Bayham or Michelham. By 1860 it had been divided into four somewhat primitive homes for Iabourers' families and, although much rebuilt when this photograph was taken, it still retained evidence of its age in its thick sandstone walls, small stone-cased windows and steep roof. The pond by the side of the lane is said to have been used by the smugglers coming up from Pevensey Bay as a hiding place for their kegs of spirit.

16. Common Pond stands on what was common land owned by the Lord of the Manor. One of the earliest records is an entry in the Sussex Assize Roll 1263 which states Gilbert, son of Gilbert Godseb, while bathing in the pond at Haylesham, was drowned and Salomon, son of John Russel, who first faund him is not suspected. When the Common was enclosed in 1855 the Lord of the Maner, Lord Sackville, retained ownership, the pond and an area of land around it being leased out. In 1921 Hailsham Parish Council asked Lord Sackville if he was prepared to sell the pond to the Council and in 1922 he offered it to them for ;[300, the Council purchasing it with the help of private subscribers, The part of the Common near the pond was known as The Butts. In bygone times, when it was compulsory for the men of England to leam and practice the art of using the longbow, it was on this part of the Common that the men of Hailsham practiced.

17. This view of the shop of A.F. Smith, the ironmonger, was taken about 1880 when he occupied the only three-storeyed premises in the High Street backing on to the churchyard. As can be seen from the advertising over the shop, the range of goods stocked extended far beyend that of the modern ironmonger, including such diverse items as beds and bedding and dairy utensils. At that time there were few specialist shops selling the various new inventions coming on to the market and ironmongers tended to be astute business men who would take these new developments in their stride. The photograph shows bassinettes for sale outside the shop while in the window can be seen a number of tennis racquets,

18. This picture of George Street taken sometime between 1890 and 1900 shows the shop of Barnett the ironrnonger which today is occupied by the Sussex County Building Society. Until about 1870 it housed the Post Office; at that time there was no shop window or shop space for the publie to enter, transactions being conduored by the Postmaster over a half-door while his custorners stood on the footway outside. The building at the left of the picture with two small round windows occupied the site of The Pavilion, which was to becorne Hailsham's first and only purpose-built cinema. The house next to Barnett's shop was known as Roseneath and was the home of Dr. Gould.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek