Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This picture shows the 1898 Christmas display at Levell's butchers 15, High Street. At this time of year the butchers vied with each other in their elaborate displays of Christmas fare. Once the arrangement was completed it was left in position until sold and a night watchman was employed to guard it. One imagines the reaction of present day public health inspeetors. One ambition was to show the carcasses of prize winning fatstock from the local show. The drainpipe on the left is decorated with rabbits but what was the purpose of the cage of live fowls - eggs while you wait? The week before Christmas the butcher would invite good customers along one evening; the Hailsham Band would play seasona1 music and free drinks would be handed round by the butcher.

Hoilsham.

20. Thomas White opened a grocer's shop in Market Square in 1816. By 1870 the business had prospered and we find Daniel White described as 'wholesale and retail grocer, tailor, draper, hatter, wine and spirit merchant, purveyor of china, glass and earthenware and Agent for Norwich Union Fire and Life', Such shops were a necessary part of the distributive trade when goods travelled by horse and rail transport. They provided a chain of depots from which other villages further from the railway could draw their supplies. Apart from being a shop keeper he was also responsible for issuing Govermnent licences for hawkers, guns, male servants, carriages, horses and mules, armorial bearings, horse dealers, dogs, gamekeepers and game. At one time the building was the home of Anthony Trumble, Under Sheriff of Sussex, who died in 1733 and is buried in Hailsham churchyard.

21. Here is the studio of Edwin Isaac Baker who for thirty years was bookseller, photographer, stationers, newsagent and lending librarian at 21, High Street, now Pipers the newsagent. Mr. Baker was a great friend of Thomas Geering, who Se articles he read before publication and he also took the photographs for 'Our Parish', published 1885. His son, Ernest Baker, went to be a Baptist clergyman in South Africa and Mr. Baker compiled a volume of photographs to send to him. Mr. Baker was enough of a business man to recognise their commercial possibilities and many of the pictures in this volume were on sale as framed photographs and picture postcards. Today these pictures pro vide a living history of this part of Sussex, the villages, houses, churches and people.

22. The shop in the centre of this High Street view of about 1880 belongs to Jenner, druggist. who can be seen standing by his doorway. It is known to have been a chemist's shop since 1804 and provides the same service to-day. A bootseraper can be clearly seen by the front door of the adjoining house and the shop beyond was occupied by Colbran, clocksmith; it is reputed to have been the first purpose-built shop front in Hailsharn, The next shop was that of E.!. Baker, who is the middle one of the three men standing by his door. In the old house behind the shop near the right hand side of the picture Captain Barclay was billeted in 1804. He was renowned throughout England for bis strength and athletic prowess, his crowning exploit being a walk of 1,000 miles in 1,000 hours for which he is said to have netted .t:l6,000 in wagers.

23. In the nineteenth century most towns had their own brewery and Hailsham was na exception, Thomas Gooche started a brewery in 1827 in Brewery Raad, now Battle Raad. His strong ales were well known and in great demand in the district. By 1871 Robert Overy employed five men at the brewery and owned three beerhouses out of the fourteen inns and beerhouses in the area. Unlike today the cast of living remained fair1y static in the last century and the price of beer stayed at Sp. per gallon for over fifty years. The fine new brick building, shown in the picture, was erected by Mr. Olney in 1887 and today is occupied by Apaseal. The building on the right was the home of the brewer and part of the Ioft over the sta bles was used as a Catholic place of worship from 1917 to 1922.

24. In 1861 a building was erected at the junction of High Street and Battle Road cornprising a Court Room together with an office and residence for the Police Superintendent. Petty Sessions were held in the Court Room on alternate Wednesdays. The photograph shows the entire strength of the local police force, whieh covered a wide area including Pevensey and Westham, cornprising the Superintendent, one sergeant and twelve constables. Also in the picture are the Superintendent's family and gig. The exact date of the photograph is not known but it could not be before 1868because the Methodist Church, which can just be seen at the right of the picture, was built in that year.

25. The Hailsham Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1877 as a result of a Parish Meeting, the fust machine (seen here) being loaned by Mr. William Strickland, a local corn merchant who resided at Cortlandt and who was the Hon. Captain of the Fire Brigade. He is seen on the extreme right of the picture. In the event of a fire the volunteers were summoned by a firebell which used to hang under a gable at Cortlandt. The machine was housed at the Terminus Hotel and horsed by horses stabied there. Later it was horsed by alocal undertaker and it is said to be not unknown for a funeral to be interrupted on the alarm being raised when the horses were removed from the funeral carriage.

26. Hailsham became a 'post town' in 1673, i.e. mail was sent there from London for subsequent distribution in the surrounding area. Until quite late in the nineteenth century mail for places such as Pevensey was not delivered but had to be collected from Hailsham. About 1812, Hailsham was told that, un1ess the road from Horsebridge was repaired, the mail would on1y corne as far as there. This photograph was taken in 1908 outside the building at the junction of Vicarage Road and Market Square nowadays occupied by the Midland Bank. It was Hailsham's first purpose-built Post Office and was erected privately by the Postmaster in 1899.

27. Seen here is Mr. T. Boniface, who is believed to have been Hailham's first dustman, The lettering on the headboard of his cart refers to him as Town Dustman. This was a private service not chargeable to the rates and was most desirabie because there are frequent references in the Vestry Minutes of the mid-nineteenth century to the nuisance caused by householders stacking their ashes and middens in the road. A similar service was provided for the watering of roads in the summer to lay the dust - there being no tarmac surfacing in those days; the charge for this service was one penny per week per house. This photograph was taken in North Street and on the right can be seen the houses which were demolished in the late 1960's to provide a site for a public car park.

28. Before the advent of the petrol engine all goods for outlying distriets were distributed by horse-drawn carts and wagons. We see here that Messrs. Isted and Harris of Herstmonceux were carriers delivering daily in Herstmonceux, Laughton, Ringrner and Lewes but only on Saturdays in Hailsham. They were one of several such firms in the neighbourhood. Before the coming of the railways the two Hailsharn carriers Hilder and Hoad sent their wagons to London twice a week and in 1844 the business card of Hoad (who lived where the National Westminster Bank stands today) stated ... wagons, vans and earts are kept to eonvey furniture and luggage to any part of England ... earts kept to feteh and carry goods to any part of the Metropolis.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek