Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. During the 1914-1918 War Green Brothers were involved in a great deal ofwork for the Government. Amongst other things they wove camouflage screening, made sails, kite balloon sereens and covers for hangar frames. Even with hangar cover sheds floor space was insufficient and two acres of meadowland were frequent1y covered by canvas sheets in the process of manufacture during the summer months. This picture shows the grommets being fixed to a hangar cover. Tent pegs were another product and over 200 acres of woodland were cut down to supply 100,000 poles used in making 2% million tent pegs between 1915 and 1918. During the War of 1939-1945 they were engaged in making dummy aircraft for deployment on decoy airfields.

40. Less than 1,500 civilians were killed by enemy action from sea or air during the 1914-1918 War but some 150,000 English people died of influenza in the winter of 1918/19 from an epidemie which started in the Near East and spread across the world. Green Brothers were still engaged on important war work for the govermnent and could not afford to have their workforce decimated so they provided all their staff with a daily dose of quinine. The bitter taste of the medicine was partially disguised by adding cinnamon and here Mr. J. Gurr is seen administering the daily doses at what came to be known as the 'cinnamon parade'. It is reported to have been very effective which is just as well because about three-quarters of the population were affected by the epidemie.

41. In 1252 King Henry III granted a Charter to our dear and [aithful Peter of Savoy and his heirs in perpetuity to have a market in his manor of Haylesham every week on Wednesday, It was held on the High Street from 1252 to 1638 but was then discontinued until 1786. In that year it was re-established and continued to be held on the High Street until the present site in Market Street becarne available. During the thirteenth century market tolls were taken and devoted to garrison expenses at Pevensey Castle, By 1834 Hailsham had beoome one of the greatest cattle and corn mark ets in Sussex and drovers accompanied their cattie from as far afield as Wales. As early as 1845 the traders in the High Street were complaining of the oak rails and hurdles which were left in position more or less permanently.

42. In 1862 the Hailsham Cattle Market Company Limited was formed to provide a new cattle and livestock market. An area of approximately three acres of land was leased from the Duke of Devonshire and in 1868 the existing office, brick walls, entrance gate and wooden cattle rails were erected at a cost of ;(500. When the market had been held on the High Street the buying and selling of stock had been done by private agreement and there was some opposition from the farmers to the selling by auction which was introduced on the new site because this involved the payment of oommission to the auctioneers.

43. Even after the market day congestion in the High Street had disappeared due to the use of the site in Market Street, it was still a common sight to see cattle making their way along the streets in the centre of the town such as these entering Market Square from Market Street unlike today when they are all transported by vehicle to and from market. Indeed, cattle were still being brought to market 'on the hoof' as late as 1949 or 1950. The facing building on the right of the picture at one time was the Post Office but today is the Midland Bank premises. The building on the left - at the corner of Vicarage Road - was dernolished in 1937.

44. The London, Brighton and South Co ast Railway Company constructed a line from Polegate to Hailsham which was opened on 14th May, 1849. The opening of the line was saddened by the death of John Hield of Bexhill who was killed whilst standing on the step of a railway carriage and was struck by the level crossing gate at Mulbrooks. Originally there was a platform on the down side only, a secend platform (connected by a sub-way) being provided for the up direction when the line was extended northwards to Heathfield in 1880. The Stationmaster's house, seen on the left of the picture, was completed in mid-1892 and is still standing today although the rest of the station buildings were demolished shortly after the line was closed in 1968.

45. This view of the front of the Station buildings with the locomotive shed at the left of the picture must have been taken not later than 1880 because in that year the ornamental belfry over the centre roof was removed. The coming of the railway made a vast difference to the Jives of the people of Hailsham and travel to Eastbourne became more cornmonplace. At the turn of the century a 3rd Class return to Eastbourne cost 9d. (less than 4p.) and it was possible to leave Victoria by the 5.45 train and arrive in Hailsham by 7.45 at a cost of 6s.3d. (just over 31 p.). Goods were now coming by train including building materials such as the Welsh slate used for roofmg many of the buildings constructed at that time. In addition there were special arrangements for catt1e traffic on market days and a coal yard was established on what is now a housing estate.

R i: I .) .. : L. .

,/

46. When the Railway was extended northwards to Heathfield it cut across the footpath used by residents walking to and from the town and by children going to and from the school in Battle Road. In 1894 at the Easter Vestry meeting - soon to be rep1aced by the Parish Council - Mr. James Maryan called for provision of a bridge over the railway at Eastwell Path but it was not built until 1914. Until then people had needed either to use steps provided at each side of the steep cutting or to make a comparatively lengthy detour and on one occasion five sma1l children were seen 'sitting like swallows on the rails',

47. London, Brighton & South Coast Railway locomotive No. 76, 'Hailsham', is seen here taking on water. It was completed at Brighton Works in June, 1877 and was stationed at Hailsham for working the Hailsham-Polegate trains, of which there were eleven each way on weekdays and six on Sundays. At some time after the line was extended northwards from Hallsham in 1880, No. 76 was transferred to Eastbourne, the end of whose nameboard can just be seen on the platform at the right-hand side of the picture. No. 76 was one of a class of fifty Iocornotives designed by William Stroudley, costing an average .0,875 to build and nicknarned 'Terriers' because of their small size and tenacious character. 'Hailsham' was scrapped in 1903 but several of the class can still be seen on the Kent & East Sussex Railway and the Bluebell Railway.

THE CO~CJL SCHOOLS - IIAlLSHA~<

48. The Board School in Battle Raad was opened in September, 1878 and accommodated about three hundred children. It was built at a cost of ;(3,000 to replace the National School which had been built in 1827 on the Common but was closed in 1878 because it was in the way of the proposed extension of the railway towards Heathfield. The Hailsham School Board had been set up under the 1870 Education Act to provide school places for all children in the area not already attending voluntary schools. The Board Schools were financed out of the rates with an annual Government inspection. The children would be examined by a visiting Inspeetor and the number of passes obtained would determine the amount of money made available which was supplemented by an attendance grant for each child who had attended for one hundred days during the year.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek