Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. When the Board School opened in 1878, it operated as separate schools for boys and girls. Mr. Charles Towler was appointed from 173 applicants as Master of the boys' school and his wife was appointed as Mistress of the girls' school. Allowance was made for two hundred and forty pupils in the initial intake of the combined schools but attendance was far from perfect and the attendance rate was only 61% in 1887. Children would be absent for harvesting, hopping and blackberry gathering and also for such occasions as the Band of Hope annua1 outing, Temperanee Fetes and the Juvenile Oddfellows sports. In addition, epidemics were frequent - such as scarlet fever, diphtheria and measles - and these led to temporary closures of the school. The photograph shows MI. Towler with some of his pupils in the late 1880's.

50. Cricket was played on Hailsham Common until1830, the earliest recorded match taking place on 25th August, 1788 between the Gentlemen of Hailsham and the Gentlemen of Herstmonceux for half a guinea a man, starring at 10 a.m. and playing to a finish. The Club in its present form has continuous records from 1884 and the group of players, shown here, is from about 1895. The striped blazers must have provided a colourful sight while the knotted ties used to support trousers would be frowned upon today, William Crocker, on the extreme right of the picture, looks the personification of the village blacksmith, which indeed he was.

51. Hailsham Cricket Club have always held their Cricket Week during the first fuil week in August but it was not until1909 that they had aPavilion for their use, renting the land on which it stood from the Parish Council at an annual rental of one shilling. The agreement between the Cricket Club and the Parish Council was terminated in 1955 and replaced by an arrangement whereby the Club transferred the Pavillon to the Parish Council in return for rent free use of the building so long as the Club continued 'under its existing constitution and for its present objects'. The Pavillon was erected for i300 which was raised by various subscriptions, fêtes, concerts, and jumble sales,

52. It is recorded in the Parish Registers that in 1625 Edward Willforde fell down dead os he was playing 0 match of football on the Sabbath Day, so the game has a long history in Hailsham, The present club was formed in 1885, being founder members of the East Sussex League in the 1890's and winners of the Sussex Junior Cup in 1895/96. In the early days the players changed at the Terminus Hotel and then walked to the Recreation Ground to play, travelling to away games by bicycle or pony and cart. At the time of the photograph club colours were hooped black and white shirts, thus earning the team the nickname of The Magpies'.

53. This Edwardian photograph shows a group of tennis players on the Recreation Ground, Western Raad. The building in the background is Wellington House - nowadays known as Sou th view - which was presented to the Parish by the Green family as a library and reading-room in memory of Ewart Green, who was killed in action during the 1914-1918 War. The tennis courts were in the south-eastern corner of the Reereatien Ground and, because they were not surrounded by wire netting, small boys could earn a few pennies by retrieving balls for the players. Previously, tennis had been played on a plot of land in Western Raad opposite to the property known as Boynton.

54. As a result of a meeting in 1901 the Hailsham Band was formed and townspeople contributed to purchase instruments and uniforms. Sixteen brass instruments and two drums were obtained for t73.13s.3d. and seventeen uniforms fOI 36/· each. The fitst conductor was aptly named Mr. Trill. In 1906 the band was disbanded due to quarrelling about the severity of fines such as 'smoking in the practice room (fine ld.)' and 'using profane language (fine 3d.)'. After six months the band restarted and was in great demand for local events and competed successfully in Band Contests. One young man, George Colwell, after playing with the band went on to obtain his A.R.C.M. and become a bandmaster in the Royal Marines. In 1940 it was evident that the band could not continue with depleted numbers due to war conditioris so it was amalgamated with other bandsmen from Heathfield, Warbleton and Chiddingly and continued to function as the British Legion and Home Guard Band.

55. The picture shows the Hailsham Harriers at the New Inn, Hadlow Down, about 1895. The pack had origins dating back to 1823 and their earliest Master, Richard King Sampson, lived at Hope Villa, Western Road - later to be rebuilt as Summerfields House. Later Masters included Algemen Pitcher and Holland Southerden, both local yeomen. In the early days of the present century the blue mottle hounds enjoyed a national reputation. Their kennels at the time were on land now part of the school playing fields in Battle Road, They were disbanded in the 1914-1918 War. Old Bridger, their huntsman, is reputed to have boasted that at the age of seventy he had every tooth in hls head still whole, Their country is now hunted by the Pevensey Marsh Beagles.

56. Around the turn of the century the scissors grinder and his barrow was a farniliar sight in any town or village. Old Mayes was a well-known character in Hailsham and the surrounding area. Unfortunately, he had a habit of getting dronk and sometimes when in this condition his barrow would be hidden by the local lads, On one occasion it had been placed in the middle of the Vicarage lawn and, while Old Mayes was looking for his barrow in the bushes at St. Wilfrid's, he was accosted by the Vicar, the Reverend F. Clyde Harvey. 'Mayes', said the Vicar, 'if you want your barrow, it ison the Vicarage lawn and there are also six pairs of scissors which want grinding.' The photograph shows Old Mayes with his barrow outside St. Wilfrid's.

57. This photograph of four oxen drawing a Sussex farm wagon past Sturton Plaee and the Terminus Hotel reminds us of the important part played by these animals in local agriculture from Roman times and they were still being used during the 1914·1918 War. They were slower than the horse but needed fewer rests so were able to plough the same aereage and their basic diet of oat straw made them economical to keep. They were broken into work at two years of age, worked for six or seven years and then were fattened for slaughter. The same spans - or pairs - were always harnessed rogether. The distanee measurement of a furlong - derived from 'furrow long' - was that whieh the ex-team eould plough before it rested at the headland. The man leading the animals is carrying a long 'goad' to encourage them to keep moving.

58. With its strong Puritan tradition East Sussex has always been a strengheld of November 5th celebrations complete with bonfires, fireworks and fancy dress, Hailsham was no exception and the Committee of 1897 seem determined to set a good example, There would he two processions by the Bonfire Boys winding up with a bonfire on the Recreation Ground. They were not popular with all sections of the population and one year the date of a meeting of the Mutual Improvement Guild was altered as it was felt that the proceedings on Guy Fawke's Day would hardly èncourage ladies to venture out. In 1901 the Committee of the Hallsham Brass Band declined an invitation by the Bonfire Society to take part in the proceedings because to do sa might seriously affect the future support to the funds of the Band.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek