Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. There was great activity in the town with preparations for the coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, Most of the shop fronts, as this one at 49, High Street, were elaborately decorated and illuminated and many activities were planned for the actual day. The church bells would ring from 6 a.rn. until8 a.m. and the Hailsham Band would play on Market Square. After the service in the Parish Church there would be a procession of decorated conveyances, Friendly Societies, the Fire Brigade, the Band and all school children. The old folks were to have a dinner and after the sports events the children would have tea. During the evening would he a bonfire and pyrotechnic display. Unfortunately due to the illness of the King the Coronation was postponed from 26th June until 9th August so the dinner and tea took place as planned but the other events were at the later date.

60. On the 27th June, 1894, Austin's gun shop on the High Street was burnt to the ground. Four years later the land was acquired by the Parish Council for about t190 and the public were asked to contribute towards the cast. The idea for gates was also mooted but interest in the scheme declined. The death of Queen Victoria on 22nd January 1901 brought renewed interest to the scheme and it was decided to erect the gates in her memory. On the 9th December that year there was an opening ceremony and a dedication service. The pillars were constructed of Portland stone to match the church tower. This picture shows the gates decorated for the coronatien of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra in 1902.

61. The end of the Boer War in 1902 was greeted with great rejoicing, As soon as the news was confirmed in Hailsham on Sunday, June Ist the Church bells rang a joyful peal and people gathered in the Market Square. The following morning, the town began to be decked out with flags and preparations were made for a gala day. A hastily formed Comrnittee improvised sports and cricket on the Reereation Ground in the aftemoon and there was a torehlight procession in the evening with a srnall display of fireworks. At that time Charles Underwood Jenner lived at 11, High Street - it was then known as The Acacias and the modern shopfront was added later - and we ean see that he had entered fully into the spirit of the celebrations,

62. Beating the Bounds is a custom of great antiquity dating back to the time when there were very few maps and it was necessary for representatives of a parish to walk the boundaries of their area annually to establish that there had been no encroachments. These walks were also known as Perambulations or Rogations and Rogation week is always that in which Ascension Day occurs. When this photograph was taken at Leap Cross about 1910, the parish of Hailsham (based on the ecclesiastica! parish) included much of what is today in the parish of Poiegate and a walk of about twenty-ûve miles was involved - taking about eight hours to complete - compared with the modern parish perimeter of about sixteen miles. At suitable points the boys were 'bumped' in order to instil into their memories the actual boundary. The boundary went through the middle of a farmhouse at one place and the smalle st boy was passed through the pantry window.

j

--

""

;

.-

?: .'

63. When war was declared on 4th August, 1914 the 2nd Home Counties (Sussex) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, comprising three batteries and an ammunition column, was called to war stations at Eastbourne, Hastings, Bexhill, and Hallsham. The seaside towns supplied the horses and men to drawand man the guns while Hailsham and the surrounding villages supplied most of the men, horses, wagons and carts for the ammunition column. Officers and parties of men were sent round the farms to commandeer horses and wagons - sometimes actually taking the horses as they were working in the fjelds - and bring them into the town where the horses were tethered in long lines in the Deer Paddock and the Vicarage Field. This picture, which shows some of the horses at the Deer Paddock, was chosen by Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Green for their Christmas card that year - a most unusua1 choke by present day standards.

64. A group of men of the 5th (Territorial) Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment at the Tower of London in 1914. Many of the men shown here come from the Hailsham area. The sergeant in the centre with the walking stick was Hugh Roberts who survived the war and was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery in action. A school teacher, he spent all Iris teaching life at Battle Road School. Hugh Marillier, another teacher at the same school and in the same battalion, was also awarded the D.C.M. but sadly was killed in action. Sergeant-Major Nelson Carter, onee a pupil at Battle Road School, was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross. The Royal Sussex Regiment suffered terrible casualties at the Battle of Aubers Ridge in 1915 and Aubers Ridge day is still kept as an anniversary in the Regiment. They were known as The Iron Regiment.

65. Hailsham Liberal Association was formed in December 1923. The Committee appear to have spent a great deal of time organising jumble sales and fêtes to raise funds and providing outings for the Y oung Liberals. A highlight, in 1925, was a visit from the Rt. Hon, D. Lloyd George who is seen in this picture in Market Square, speaking in support of the Liberal Candidate (yV. Harcourt Johnson) at the By-Election.

Lu

CHEO

A 0

TEA

5

66. The inhabitants of Hailsham, recognising their indebtedness to the Princess Allee Memorial Hospital in Eastbourne, decided to show their gratitude in a practical marmer. A meeting was held on the 4th August, 1898 and the Hailsham Hospital Committee was forrned to collect funds for the hospital which was a Free Institution and depended entirelyon vo1untary contributions. On a Wednesday during August six tables would be p1aced at strategie p1aces in the town and here the goed ladies of the committee would collect money from passers-by. The following Saturday there would be a house-tc-house collection and on the Sunday a procession cornposed of church and civic dignitaries, all the Friendly Societies and the Fire Brigade would march to the Recreation Ground for an open-air service. The townspeople gave generously and the fust year the Committee sent over f:54 to the Princess Alice Hospital,

67. Until1834 each Parish had its own Poor House, many dating back to Elizabethan times, but under the Poor Law Amendment Act of that year Unions of Parishes were set up. The Hailsham Union comprised the parishes of Arlington, Chiddingly, Hailsham, Heathfield, Hellingly, Herstmonceux, Hooe, Laughton, Ninfield, Warbleton and Wartling with Chalvington and Ripe being added in 1898. The Central House, seen here, was on the Hellingly side of Hawks Raad while the Guardians met in the Board Room on the Hailsham side of the raad. There was always a problem with drinking water and a new 100 feet deep weIl costing iIl? was dug in 1881; the pump wheel has been preserved and can still be seen outside the Museum in Western Road. The workhouse closed in 1932 and was demolished to be replaced by bungalows and houses.

68. Towards the end of 1897 an area of four hundred acres at Park Farm, Hellingly was offered to Sussex County Council for i16,000 by the Earl of Chichester as the site for an Asylum, the estimated cost of which was f207,000. The Hospital, known to old Hellingly residents as 'The Top', was opened in 1903 as the East Sussex County Mental Hospital and remained as such until the National Health Serviee was introduced in 1948. It is now the Psychiatrie Hospital for a large area of East Sussex and Kent and provides accommodation for some 1,400 patients with a further 60 at Amberstone Hospital. The tall brick chimney is a familiar landmark.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek