Hailsham in old picture postcards

Hailsham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Hailsham Historical and Natural History Society
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3056-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hailsham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. Horselunges Manor is a moated timber-framed house built by a member of the Devenish family at the end of the fifteenth century and restored in 1925. The name Horselunges is a corruption of Herstlyngyver which in turn was a combination of the family names of Philip de Herst and Agnes Lyngyver. The house was sold in 1568 to the Pelham family who retained it until the early part of the present century. What remains today is only part of one side of a larger, perhaps quadrangular, house of which the original hall has disappeared. The photograph shows the house as it was at the turn of the century without the large gabled windows of the present day.

70. The interior of Horselunges Manor has much fine timber, especially the very large tie beams. The photograph, which was taken about 1930, shows only a part of the Great Chamber in which it is reputed to have been possible to turn a horse and wagon. Behind the Manor is a field known as Piek Hay which was the scene of a tragic incident in 1541. Lord Dacre of Herstmonceux Cast1e went poaching deer with some of bis friends on land owned by Nicho1as Pelham. They were surprised by Pelham gamekeepers, one of whom was fataJly wounded in the subsequent affray. Lord Dacre was tried and found guilty and was executed at Tyburn. It is said that this was the first time in English history that a man of noble birth was executed for killing a commoner.

71. There is a record in the Hellingly Parish Church register of a man drowning at Horsebridge Mill in 1634. A scheme was put forward in 1792 to construct a canal from the River Ouse near Beddingham to Horsebridge Mill to open up this area of Sussex for better trading but the project was abandoned. The mill was seriously damaged by fire in 1908 despite the combined efforts of the fire brigades of Hailsham and Eastbourne, the latter's horse-drawn pump arriving with steam up and ready to pump only twenty-five minutes after receiving the call, The mill was rebuilt and remained very busy, grinding not only English corn but also Rumanian and Canadian. It passed into the ownership of Ranks Ltd. but, although still very busy, was closed by them in 1969.

72. This photograph of about 1880 shows Star Brewery Cottages which still stand today although the shop has been converted to a dwelling and a new shop has been built nearby. The shop was an off-licence and grocery business. Not only was beer sold in bottles but customers would take their jugs to be filled from the casks, the cost up to the 1914 War varying between 2d. and 4d. per pint depending on strength. During the building of Hellingly Hospital from 1898 to 1903 there was a large influx ofworkmen, many of whom lived rough in barns and cattle sheds, coming to the shop for their beer and provisions. They would take their beer across the road and drink it sitting on tree trunks and stacks of sawn timber in Pitcher's timber yard which came to be known as the 'open air bar'. Men would play marbles in front of the shop on Good Fridays until the hour when Christ was reputed to have been nailed to the cross.

73. This photograph was taken about 1875 at Lower Horsebridge at the junction of two Turnpike roads, one known as the Horsebridge and Horeharn Trust and the other as the Broyle Gate and Battle Trust. These trusts were established by an Act passed in 1754 and they ceased to operate in 1872, from which date the cost of maintaining the roads had to be met from the rates, The road at this junction was controlled by two gates joined by a central post. The photograph shows what is thought to be a part of the side fence and post after the actual gates had been removed. All signs of the gates have long since gone but the Toll House remains and is used as a shop selling antiques. The postal address of Hellingly at this period was Hellingly, Hawkhurst and mail would be received daily by horse mail from the Kentish town for sorting and delivery over the large surrounding area.

74. The present front of the King's Head conceals a much older rear and at one time it was a coaching inn with stables for a large number of horses, being at the junction of two tumpike roads. The inn was the meeting place of the Manor Courts and tbe Turnpike Trustees and also auction sales of local farms and properties were held there. Nearby a cattle fair was held each year on May 9th and September 29th. The Hon. John Byng (later Lord Torrington) stayed overnigbt in 1788 and noted that supper was eaten in a room 36 feet by 21 feet. The photograph is about 1910 and shows the travelling fishmonger who made his way from the coast to nearby inland villages selling bis fresh fish.

75. It is not known when pottery making first started in the area known as The Dicker but there is a record of the setting up of a second pottery in 1774. Befere that date there may have been a conneetion with Michelham Priory where pottery was known to have been made in mediaeval times. The works which became known as the Dicker Pottery are believed to have been acquired by the Clark family in about 1845. The Boship Pottery closed down at the turn of the century and the owner joined the Dicker Pottery, Uriah Clark, who died in 1903, did not confine himself to pottery and at various times was described also as a grocer and draper and coal and coke rnerchant. The business became the private limited company of Uriah Clark and Nephew in 1912 and remained so until1941 when the buildings and land were requisitioned by the Army, The pottery was re-opened by a new owner after the War but was fmally closed in the 1950's.

76. Apart from the vases, crockery and ether items usually associated with a pottery, the Dicker Pottery also produced goods such as bricks, tiles, pipes, chimney pots and flower pots. In 1927 a report stated that there was enough clay on the site to last a small brickmaking firm for hundred years but the owners chose to put all their efforts into the existing pottery. The most popular ware produced there was reminiscent of sixteenth century Cistercian and was coated with a black lustre iron glaze but it did not possess the robustness of the pots made for everyday use. The Pottery, which had two kilns, provided employment for about twenty persons.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek