Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

:   J.O. Mennear
:   Cleveland
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-3228-2
:   144
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

89. An 'Expamet' concrete crown being laid to the road in Lynn Street for the County Borough of West Hartlepooi by the Borough Engineer, Nelson F. Dennis, 1905. By this period expanded meta! was being used for similar purposes the length and breadth of Britain and throughout the British Empire. This view was taken looking north towards Church Street from near Nelson Street,

90. Road surfacing in Cleveland Road, This is an excellent view of workmen using 'expanded metal' in the concrete foundations in 1905. Expanded Metal production was established in Hartlepooi in 1892 when the American inventor, John French Gelding, sold his patent rights to a local business consortium of Lord Furness, Matthew Gray and Major D. Irvine under the name of the British Expanded Metal Co. This became the Expanded Metal Co. Ltd., in 1895 and is currently one of Hartlepool's most successful companies. To this day they continue to explore new uses for expanded metal with meshes of every conceivable size made of various metals.

Grange Road, West HartlepooI

91. A suburban scene. Grange Road was, and still is, one of the principal residentlal streets of West Hartlepoolleading from Victoria Road in the centre of town up to the entrance gates of Ward Jackson Park - a distance of almost one mile. The properties in view still remain, aIong with the tower of St. Paul's Church at the junction with Upper Victoria Road. The electric tramway is the Church Street to Park service begun in 1899. The western end of Grange Road was not developed until the 1930s and consisted of allotment gardens and fields at this time.

92. The HartlepooIs Pulp and Paper Co. Ltd., in Burn Road showing a view of the assembied workforce in the packing department. The photograph is dated approxirnately 1910 when the company had two pulp machines and were manufacturers of white and toned paper, machine-finished and supercalendered writing and cartridge paper, glazed and unglazed. Renamed the Durham Paper Mills, it closed in the 1960 but many of the buildings still remain.

93. Collecting sea coal from the beach near Old Town. Although not of good quality, the availability of free fuel was a boon for those living next to the sea. lts souree is two-fold - that dumped offshore with the stone from the coastal collieries of Durham and that which is reputed to be exposed on the sea bed. There are certainly records of sea coal gathering long before the collieries began to tip into the sea at Easington and Horden. Sea coal collection is now undertaken on a commercial scale by many small businesses.

;:Jubhc Park 'Nest 'tar lepoot

3O~Z3 JV

94. Looking south across the formal terrace garden at Ward Jackson Park in 1905. The bandstand, designed and built by Law & Co. of Glasgow, was presented by Sir William Cresswell Gray on 27th February 1900 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The bronze statue on the right is the Boer War Memorial designed by the West Hartlepooi sculptor, Francis Doyle-Jones and installed on 19th July 1905. The statue was stolen in 1965 but a small figurine ean be seen in the Gray Art Gallery and Museum. The park area is noted for late Victorian and Edwardian mansions set amongst woodland and built by the tewn's wealthy entrepreneurs and industrialists.

95. Ward Jackson Park lake seen in 1910. Most of the features of the park had been installed by this time but the park had yet to mature. The rowing baat was regularly used by staff to clean the lake and remave pond weed.

96. Ward Jackson Park in 1895 - a view along the north terrace. The Park Avenue mansions in the distance were built separately over a decade, the most southerly end terrace not being completed until 1902. Although built separately the finished block is balanced by the erection of a tunet gable at each end.

97. The Willows, Clarence Road, around 1910. The house was built in 1861 as a residential villa for George Pyman, the shipowner, and subsequent mayor of West HartlepooI in 1888. At the time it was situated on the outskirts of the town surrounded by fields and open country. In 1895 Pyman sold the house to Matthew Gray, the elder son of William Gray. Matthew was to die before conveyancing had been completed, however, his widow oeeupied the house until her death in 1917 whereupon it beeame a billet for army officers. Sir Wi1liam Cresswell Gray presented the house to the town as a museum in 1919 as a gesture of thanksgiving for the safe return of bis son from the First World War. After alterations to the interior it was opened to the publie on 5th November 1920.

98. Burn Valley Gardens, opened without ceremony in 1898, now form a green wedge of countryside and ornamental parkland reaching as far as York Road. The gardens have been developed and extended over the years until they now vie with Ward Jackson Park as the tewn's most attractive open space. The photograph shows the Claremont ornamental garden which was created by a large team of unemployed workmen in the late 1920s, the rockery stones came from Mr. Clapham's High Throston Farm - some weigh over half a ton. The garden was officially opened in May 1935. The large drinking fountain presented by Mr. Withy, LP., in 1902 has now been re-erected in the Museum grounds in Clarence Road.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek