Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

The Cameron Hospital, West HartIepooI

99. Colonel J.W. Cameron has been described as one of the great Victorians of West Hartlepool, devoting as much energy to the development of the town as to his thriving brewery empire. After his death in 1896 bis family provided the funds for the Cameron Hospital as a memorial to hirn. The hospital and equipment, costing no ,480, was opened on 29th April 1905 , by Sir Christopher Furness, M.P. lt is now in use as Hartlepool's maternity hospital.

100. An excellent photograph of the platers from Irvine's Harbour Yard taken on 19th September 1911. Vessel no. 510 awaits completion on the slipway behind them - it was launched as the 'Cadmus' later that year. Robert 1rvine began building ships on the site close to the West Harbour entrance in 1864, and in 1897 the yard was extended and modernised following its acquisition by the Fumess Withy Company who continued shipbuilding until the post war slump. The company sawa succession of owners until it was closed down in 1924; the yard stood idle until1930 when the owners finally went into liquidation.

101. Pea-picking on Throston Carr Farm in Hart Lane 1912. Mr. Stally, the farmer, is seated on the extreme left. The other identified person is MI. Fred Johnson standing fourth from the left.

I

CENT~ftL STO~ES.

Iii1RTLEPOOLS CO.OPEWiTiVE SOCIETY,

Park Rd. 8< Stock ton St., -West Hartlcpool.-

102. The Central Stores, Stockton Street. Opened in 1915 this impressive building is designed in the Renaissance style by Lionel G. Ekins of the Co-Operative Wholesale Society's own Architect's Department. lts central feature, c1early seen in this photograph, is a cupola tower which rises to a height of over 100 feet. It is built of Portland limestone around a structural framework of Mouchel-Hennebique ferro-eoncrete.

103. The crowds pose eagerly outside the Municipal Buildings on 4th February 1918 whilst waiting to purchase war bonds during 'Tank Week'. The tank 'Nelson (no. 130)', along with a naval gun, were present to add to the importance of the occasion. A record breaking total of t2,367 ,333 in War Bonds was raised. The experience of the Hartlepools in the bombardment in 1914 may have given a boost to such patriotism.

104. The tank 'Nelson' being put through its paces on the Armoury Field during 'Tank Week' which commenced on 4th February 1918. The buildings in the background are now occupied by Perry's Radio and T.V. shop in Avenue Road.

105. The Mayor of West Hartlepool, Counci1lor T.F. Thompson, officially receives the tank 'Egbert', following its presentation by Major General E.B. Swinton, C.B., in recognition of West Hartlepool's record-breaking fund-raising achievement. The presentation was made on Stranton Garth where 'Egbert' remained for many years, Greenbank, now Carnerons' offices, and the malt house are seen in the background.

106. Cowans Sheldon swan neck steam crane on Irvine's wharf. The crane was demolished in May 1975 despite being listed as an industrial monument. Built in 1904 for Richardsons Westgarth, the crane was capable of lifting 100 tons to a range of eighty feet and stood 100 feet high. Four trawlers, three from Scarborough and one from Hartlepool, are seen moored undergoing minor repairs.

107. The offices of the Central Marine Engine Works (CMEW) were opened in 1883 by William Gray to enable him to construct marine engines for bis prolific shipyards, The works also undertook engineering and foundry work until the closure of the company in 1962. The four-bay workshop seen in the background still exists and is used for storage by the Tees and Hartlepooi Port Authority.

108. Built by Ralph Ward Jackson in 1854, to a design by E.B. Lamb, Christ Church was the first church to be erected in West Hartlepool although the parish it served was not legally formed until 1859. The ground and limestone for construction were given by the Dock Company though the cost of erection was still some !.6,000 with a peal of bells costing a further !.400. The altar rails were made of bog oak recovered from the submerged forest excavated in the docks, The feud between Ward Jackson and the first incumbent, Roverend J.H. Burges, is well documented elsewhere, but as aresult, the Church Square School seen to the left of the picture, was founded as the West Hartlepooi Public Undenominational School in defiance of Reverend Burges, who had attempted to ensure that it was for church-going children only.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek