Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. The Heugh Lighthouse, keepers' cottages, Radcliffe Terrace and The Crescent viewed from the Heugh Breakwater . The breakwater is in the process of being repaired, the stone blocks and the gantry crane can be seen on the extreme left. The breakwater was fust built in 1859 to a length of no feet to a design by Messrs. Walker and Robinson for the proteetion of the entrances to the East and West Harbours. In 1870 after obtaining the necessary parliamentary powers an extension of 600 feet was started. The fust section is constructed of ashlar sandstone whilst the extension is of concrete of a 'superior kind'. For many years the new pier, as it was known, was a popular extension of the promenade, the outer length is now inaccessible due to its dangerous condition.

HartiepooI Lighthouse.

saH!. JY

10. The Heugh Lighthouse, designed and built by the local Civil Engineer, Stephen Robinson, was opened on 1st October 1847. It stood 58 feet and was built of white sandstone at a total cost of ;(5,750. Although not the first to be illuminated by gas, contemporary evidence suggests that it may have been the first to be lit efficiently and consistently by gas. The lighthouse was dismantled in 1915 to allow the defending guns at the Battery a clear sight of the sea, but the lantern was housed for sorne years in a temporary structure on the Town Moor before being replaced by the present lighthouse.

11. South Crescent, Hartlepool, around 1910. A view very much intact today, though there have been subtle changes. The turf-covered cliff top on the right of the fence has been converted into an extension of the promenade, and was the site of the outdoor swimrning pool constructed in the 1920s and destroyed by storm action in 1953. The terraeed housing has altered in appearance, much has been rendered with stucco and the majority of the elegant iron railings disappeared in the war effort appeals of 1939. The building of these properties in 1833 and in 1843 uncovered the first proof of Hartlepool's Saxon past. In all nine Saxon runic name stones from graves were reecvered. One can now be seen in St. Hilda's Church, and copies of all in the Gray Art Gallery and Museum.

12. South Crescent with steps down to the Block Sands over a very unstable cliff. The brick properties have received cement render finish which substantially alters their appearance whilst maintaining the imposing elegance of these houses of substance. The trackway at the base of the cliff was used when the Heugh Breakwater was under construction.

13. The Block Sands around 1904. Taken before the lower promenade and paddling pool were built, this photograph shows the concrete and sandstone blocks used in building the breakwater. The Harbour Light on the Pilot Pier can be seen on the extreme left of the print.

The Promenade, HartiepooI.

14. The construction of Hartlepooi Promenade in 1889 as a defence against the sea's encroachment was used as an opportunity to provide a leisure facility. The lower promenade was provided with a bandstand presented by Sir Christopher Furness, M.P. Large crowds were attracted to the regular entertainment and 'prornenading' itse1f was a popular leisure activity in good weather. This crowded scene was photographed around 1900.

15. A later view of the Lower Promenade, 1904. The seating has been improved and the rough clay bank has been terraeed in concrete. The bandstand had, by this time, been enclosed, partly perhaps due to its exposed position and also for use as a dressing room. The crowd is watching two performers accompanied by piano on an extended stage. The notice on the bandstand informs the audience that seats ean be reserved for 2d.

16. The promenade overlooking the North Sands with its well-developed wave cut platform. The natural cliff face of crumbling magnesian limestone was encased in concrete in 1889, allowing housing development to the very edge. Sea View Terrace and the Royal Naval Reserve Barracks can be seen at the top left.

17. Grapho and Jackson's Pierrot Troupe seen performing on the Promenade bandstand in 1904. The performers did not charge a fee but passed the hat around the gathered crowd. The cast iron bandstand was made by Law & Co., of Glasgow although the shuttering and wooden side wings were a later addition to shelter performers from the sea breezel

)

rrtl.┬Ěs~eU.s)~ fffRRO T 5

18. Bliss & Bliss Pierrots were regular performers on the Hartlepooi promenade, this group photo is dated 1905. Pierrot singers were very popular at this time, in many ways similar to the traditional circus clown, they were stock characters in pantomime made up with whitened faces and long white clothes.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek