Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. J.J. Hardy & Sons, (Brass Founders) shop and foundry premises. This foundry was an essential ancillary to Hartlepool's marine engineering and shipbuilding industries. The Throston Bridge brass works, situated on the corner of Clifton Street (now old Cemetery Road), produced an extensive range of castings and fittings and was the sole agent for the North of England Gauge Co. In 1968 the Company moved to new premises in Brenda Road.

.. -

30. Part of the coronation celebrations for George V on 22nd June 1911, the Royal Naval Reserve on their float, the HMS 'Undaunted', prepare for the town parade armed with what appear to be weapons from the armoury! The barracks were erected in 1859 at the ~ same time as the three defensive batteries were constructed at Fairy Cove, Friarage Field (Heugh Battery) and the lighthouse. The barracks were occupied by many different branches of the services although they were originally built for the Durham Artillery Militia, whose coat of arms could be seen over the Baltic Street entrance. This coat of arms still survives, incorporated into the wall of the Drill Hall in Easington

Road. In this photograph the building behind the group was built and occupied by the Coastguard Service in 1897. The barracks were demolished in 1963 .

31. On 5th June 1912 the 'SS Otra' was wrecked off the North Sands. Pit props from its cargo were washed ashore by the thousand and the 10ca1 populace didn't hesitate to add to their stocks of fuel. The beach was completely covered by props when the tide receded and as the photo demonstrates, it attracted a huge crowd of sightseers,

Lll:UT COL. L.ROesON.V.O D.L. COMMANOlNC DURrtAM R.G.A.

"F/RE COMMANOCR' HARTL.E.POOL SATTE:RIl:S

OE:c .16".1914"

32. On 16th December 1914 the Hartlepools were bombarded by the German Fleet. Sixty-three civilians and nine soldiers were killed at Hartlepooi and fifty-six civilians at West Hartlepool. In addition over four hundred civilians were wounded and much property damaged or destroyed. Colonel 1. Robson V.D. was in charge of the guns at Hartlepool, and although the calibre of hls guns was small, and their range limited, considerable loss of life and damage were inflicted on the German cruisers. Colonel Robson was awarded the D.S.O. for hls services and he was further honoured by the C.M.G. personally bestowed by the King on the royal visit to West Hartlepooi on 15th June 1917.

33. Moor Terrace, 16th December 1914 - a general view looking towards the lighthouse showing the utter devastation wreaked by the bombardment. A member of the Hartlepooi Police Force is seen standing on duty to prevent people attempting to enter dangerous property.

34. The Baptist Chapel, Hartlepool, built around 1851, received a direct hit through the upper storey, Fund-raising to repair the damage was organised and included the sale of commemorative ashtrays decorated with a transfer of this photograph as a souvenir. An example ean be seen at the Gray Art Gallery and Museum, HartlepooI.

Bombardment of HartlepooI.

Dec. 16th., 1914.

St. Barnabas, Hart Road.

35. St. Barnabas Church, Hart Road, designed by the West Hartlepooi Architect, J.J. Wilson, was opened by Mrs. Butterwick, Mayoress of Hartlepooi on 20th April 1904. This was yet another casualty of the bombardment. The hole in the wall where a window has been knocked out does not look severe but by careful scrutiny the reader will see that every window in the building was shattered in the blast and much destruction was caused to the interior. The church is part of the Holy Trinity Parish, West View.

36. Devastation at Central Estate, Hartlepool. Central Estate was a self-contained community positioned almost midway between Hartlepooi and West Hartlepooi off Cleveland Road. lt demonstrated strong local character in the style of building, a series of terraeed housing with corner shops and a design which included first floor bay windows. The estate was demolished in the late 1970s with the 'Central' public house being one of the last buildings to be demolished as late as 1982.

37. Old Town, West Hartiepool was an area originally known as New Stranton. The cramped streets were situated in a triangle of land between two railway tracks. The easterly track carried coal wagons to the staithes in the Coal Doek whilst the westerly track led to the railway station. Old Town was demolished as being unfit for habitation in the 1920s and rebuilt as a model garden estate consisting of five crescents. It could never overcome its isolated position and even these properties were finally demolished in 1982 and the site cleared.

38. 'Ivyholme', Hartlepool. This print gives an indication of the intensity of the bombardment. In addition to the shells, those that exploded scattered lethal shrapnel in all directions. The hole through the chimney stack and the hole in the corner of the wall with missing downpipe reveal the destructive power of flying shrapnel.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek