Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. 'Greencliffe', Moor Terrace, Hartlepool, a fine threestorey house which received a direct hit through an upper storey wind ow . The blast ensured that many of the windows were blown out. The three soldiers looking out of the fust floor windoware from the Durham Royal Garrison Artillery, At the bottom right is a sandbag barricade which was to help secure the rear of the Heugh Battery gun positions,

40. Assessing the damage and reflecting on the consequences - ten people were killed here in Dene Street, West Hartlepool, during the bombardment. The majority of people killed on this fateful day were taken to the Public Mortuary in the Market Yard, Lynn Street. During the day a total of thirty-five bodles were taken into a place originally built to accommodate four. The bombardment itself has been written about by several authors, a general account including personal recollections is given by Robert Wood in bis book 'West HartlepooI'.

41. A souvenir of the event, an apprehensive Hartlepudlian photographed removing an unexploded 5.9 inch shell found among the railway sidings at the timber yard. Many of the unexploded sheils and fragments of shrapnel were eagerly sought after as souvenirs, some examples can be seen in the Gray Art Gallery and Museum.

42. Officers and N.C.O.'s of the Durham Light Infantry posing behind souvenirs of the bombardment outside the Staincliffe Hotel at Seaton Carew. At the time of the First World War the 'Staincliffe', built by Mr. Walker, was a convalescent home for the shipyard employees of William Gray and Company.

43. The funeral of the first British soldier to be killed on English soil in the First World War as a result of the bombardment of the Hartlepcols. On the lighthouse slope is a plaque given by Mr. John Sanderson indicating the place where the first soldier, Private Theo, Jones, 18th Batt., Durham Light Infantry, was killed on British soil during the Great War.

44. Flags and bunting decorate Dove Cote Yard in the Croft, as Hartlepooi celebrates the ending of the First World War.

45. A nostalgie view of Middlegate on a winters' afternoon early this century. Viewed from Friendship Lane the 'Ship Inn' can just be seen on the left and Barnett Brothers polychromatic brickwork building on the right. A load of coal has just been delivered to the Borough Buildings and Market Hall, the home of the Hartlepooi Borough Council, Board of Health Officers, Magistrates' Court and the Police Station! The building was designed by C.l. Adams of Stockton, a free adaptation of the ltalian style modernised with red brick facings and Dunhouse Stone, lts central feature is a turreted tower surmounting the entrance to the mark et arcade, decorated with a medaillon bearing the Hartlepooi Borough Seal. The Market Hall was replaced by the Borough Hall in 1929 and now forms the building's most useful asset.

Tho Gravel and York Placo, Hartiepool

46. The Gravel on the seaward side of the Pilot Pier showing many fishing cobles hauled above the high water line. The promenade railings are being used as convenient drying lines for the fishermen's nets. St. Andrew's Church in the background was built as a Seamen's Mission. Now disused, it is currently being converted into a new Church Hall for St. Hilda's Church.

47. Town Moor and Bandstand. This view was probably taken towards the end of the First World War, the popularity of the promenade was a strong as ever. The 1847 lantem room was placed on the wooden tower in 1915 and did service untili4th June 1927. This temporary lighthouse was necessary as the 1847 original was demolished to improve visibility for the Heugh Battery following the difficulties experienced by the guns on 16th December 1914. The lantern is still in existence and can be seen in the Hartlepooi Maritime Museum.

48. The morning after the Great Fire of Hartlepool, 4th January 1922, huge crowds were attracted to the scene of devastation caused by the intensity of the fire. The docks were always a fire risk because of the huge areas of stacked timber, and on this occasion, the fire started late morning in tirnber on the Old Boys' Field. It spread south and east over Cleveland Raad, engulfmg the Creosote Works, and at one point threatened to spread as far as the Central Shipyard of William Gray and the Central Marine Engine Works. The fire, raging all night, turned night into day - it was sa bright.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek