Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. The flood at Vicarage Gardens, Stranton, on 27th October 1900. Crowds gather to watch the spectacle as boats and horses and carts are used to ferry people across. The parade of attractive shops on the left is still in existence but the Bourn Hotel and the adjacent terrace houses have been demolished. The New Burn was diverted into a new sewer in the 1880s; the natural drainage for the area, it had become a most objectionable polluted stream. Parson Rudd of Stranton was strongly opposed to this development and would have been delighted at the consequences when the enclosed sewer drain could not cope with heavy and prolonged rain.

60. Sailing vessels unloading timber in Gentral Doek, HartlepooI. The timber was floated into timber ponds where it was stored for easy retrieval and movement. These tirnber ponds are now all filled in but timber importing remains one of the port's staple trades. Note the 'windrnill' on the fust sailing vessel which was used to keep the ship pumped free of water.

61. This photograph and numbers 62-66 show a series of views of Church Street at the turn of the century when several important changes were taking place. This view is from the Athenaeum looking west towards Christ Church - the road surface is generally composed of rolled stone, with dolerite setts down the centre, at each side of the tram track, at crossing points, and in the gutters, Street Iighting was by gas but was quite minimal by today's standards, Looking from right to left, the shops on the right of the photograph are occupied by J. Keely, piano dealers; G.E. Berry, watchmaker; T.W. Stokell, paint and paper hanger; the Clarence Inn; A.W. Isaac and D. Isaac.jewellers and hairdressers. All of these properties were demolished by a German bomb in the Second World War and remain as vacant land today.

62. This photograph, dating from around 1895, was probably taken on the same day as the previous photograph but looks eastward. Severa1 substantial buildings can be seen which were to undergo changes before long; on the left is the Central Hall which accommodated solicitors, accountants, and architects with next door, the National Provincial Bank of England and beyend this the Commercial Hotel. On the right side of the street the end wall is advertising Geo. Stephenson, dra per , a shop which was soon to change hands and appearance too. The steam tram track is still in position in the centre of the street sorne ten years after it was fust installed in 1884. All other street transport was still by horse or horse and carriage with the adventurous riding bicycles.

63. A view taken in 1898 frorn the same position as the last photograph and already several changes have occurred, The Central Hall has been demolished and the site is vacant, the National Provincial Bank has also been demolished and rebuilt in stone at a cast of ;(8,000, to a design by W.W. Gwyther of London. The scaffolding ean still be seen around the building. Mr. Stephenson, the draper, has now become Carter & Co. and the site bas redeveloped into a four storey building. Isaac Braad y's jeweller's shop on the right is another property with a long established use, today it is occupied by D.A. Scott, watchmaker and jeweller. The other major development is that of the extension of the electric tram service from the top of Church Street to the bottorn.

64. Church Street, around 1902. The most important edifice to appear is that of the Central Buildings occupying the site of the former Central Hall. The occupants had changed somewhat tooI It was a more commercial property being the home for a tobacconist, fruiterer, bootmaker and tailor on the ground floor with the famous Centra1 Grill and Restaurant and severa1 offices on the second and third floors, including Lloyds Register of Shipping, Trechmann Cement Co., Trechmann Shipping Co., Murrell Pae and Co., shipowners and the German Consulate. A fine view is obtained of an open topped electric tram travelling down Church Street having just passed the statue of Ralph Ward Jackson behind the protective fencing on the right.

65. A similar view to No. 61looking from outside the Athenaeum towards Christ Church. In 1895 the General Electric Tramways Co. commenced relaying of the track used by the steam trams between the Hartlepools and the erection of poles and overhead wiring. It is interesting to note that the extension of this system to the bottom of Church Street was delayed owing to a dispute with West Hartlepcol Corporation about the effect of wiring on the appearance of Church Street. The service to Hartlepooi commenced from Police Station corner, Clarence Road to Northgate at noon on 19th May 1896 and was the first electrlc tramway system in North-East England using overhead wiring. The extension to Church Street was not achieved until October 1897. It included the only major length of double track and incorporated a number of poles of ornamental design including lighting and protective bollards at either side. On the right of the picture, a policeman and tramway inspeetor discussing the late arrival ofthe 9.45!

66. Upper Church Street, around 1910. The photographer has taken a fine view of Christ Church flanked by the Municipal Buildings on the left and a range of shops on the right. The wide streets around Church Square are the deliberate result of enlightened town planning by both the Hartlepooi West Harbour and Doek Co., and the West Hartlepooi Town Commissioners. The supporting pole for the overhead e!ectric wires of the tramway system can be seen in front ofthe chemist's and druggist's shop on the right. The shop itself has a most decorative canopy suspended from which are some rather large lantern lights. The man in the foreground with bucket and shovel to hand appears to be clearing the streets after the passage of horses!

----

67. A general view along Hart Road (now known as Raby Road) 1899 showing the Wesley Methodist Church in all its splendid glory with the Town Hall in the middle distance. The Wesleyan Church built in 1873 by William HilI of Leeds is the most impressive example of non-conformist church architecture in the town. A brick building with an imposing stone built fa├žade incorporating a projecting Corinthian portico, the church provided seating for a congregation of 1,200 and there was accommodation for 600 children in the schoolroom. The electric tramway systern had recently been extended westwards along Victoria Road to Grange Road.

68. A view which was to change rapidlyl The electric tram is all set to go up Victoria Road past the Wesley Church. Within three years Hutsons, the boot and shoe store, and adjacent properties were to be demolished to make way for the new department store of Gray Peverell (1902). The Grand Hotel was to be erected behind the Wesley Church, the foundation stone was laid in 1899, but it was not officially opened until1901.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek