Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

69. A civic parade along Victoria Road past the Grand Hotel. Said to be Mavor's Sunday, the occasion could also be the ce1ebration of the granting of County Borough Status to the West Hartlepooi Corporation on 1st October 1902.

70. Burbank Street Chapel, West Hartlepcol. The large building, made of brick with stone dressings, is the United Methodist Chapel, erected in 1868. 1t was later used as a Sunday School when its replacement, the United Methodist Free Church, was built alongside in 1875. This cost UO,OOO to erect and was also a brick building although it had a fine stone façade. 1t could seat 1,100 people. The chapel was severely damaged by the third Zeppelin raid on the Hartiepools on 13th March 1918.

71. The view from Upper Church Street looking west to Victoria Road 1906. All the major buildings are still in existence, although the Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1873 at the height of the Methodist influence, has now been empty for several years and its future existence is open to speculation. The Gray Peverell emporium is now Binns Ltd., Hartlepool's largest department store. Opened in 1902 it is a red brick and terracotta building. Italian in style, with pagoda turrets above the east façade. The architect was James Garry. The Grand Hotel, standing bebind the Wesleyan Chapel, is one of the most impressive buildings in HartlepooI. Also designed by James Garry, it is built of red brick with yellow terracotta decorations in the French Renaissance style.

72. Church Street, West Hartlepool, in 1906. Church Street was laid out as the premier street in the Ward Jackson inspired town plan. It continued for over a century as the business and commercial centre of the town. The prominent Yorkshire Penny Bank was built in 1901 to a design by James Garry using Dunhouse sandstone in another example of the French Style. The Bank was badly damaged when adjoining properties received a direct hit at 12.50 a.m, on 27th August 1940, in a German bombing raid and the damage was so bad that the building had to be demolished. This is a good view of a double deck tramcar. At this time tram crews worked a sixty-hour week in straight shifts without meal breaks. Drivers would earn 6d. per hour with a maximum weekly wage of 30 shillings (;(1.50).

73. A view of Lynn Street in 1895. This was West Hartlepool's main shopping thoroughfare seen here looking north from Reed Street towards Church Street. McEwen's, the drapers, is on the left and S.S. Eades', piano and musie shop, is on the right. The large gabled building centre right is the Lynn Street Market, designed and built by I.W. Brown, Borough Surveyor and Engineer in 1893. The market had shops fronting on to Lynn Street, loek-up shops in the market hall and ten rows of mark et stalls for various trades. Behind the hall was the market yard originally designed as a cattle market, but probably most famous as the winter headquarters of tra velling showmen who used the respite to repaint and refurbish their equipment before the next season.

74. Victoria Road as seen from the crossroads with Vork Road looking towards St. Paul's Church. Most of the Victorian villas, originally large family houses, have now become offices. St. Joseph's Convent School was established in the former residence of Mr. Edward Withy in Victoria Road in 1885, The numbers attending the school steadily increased and in 1903 with sixty day pupils it was recognised as a secondary school by the Board of Education, The electric trams have passed each other on the special passing loop - these loops were constructed every few hundred yards, The advertisement on the nearest tram is for 'Andrews Liver Salt'.

75. West Hartiepool Town Hall and Technical College, Lauder Street. Built to a free adaption of Tudor Gothic by the Twickenham architect H.A. Cheers, the building is faced with red pressed brick with Dunhouse stone dressings and adorned at the main entrance by two octagonal towers. The gable end is surmounted by the West Hartlepooi coat of arms 'E mare ex industria' carved in the stonework, The design of the building was chosen by open competition. Such were the conditions laid down by the initial delay in the choice of a suitable design that the letters column of "I'he Builder', a national architectural journal, contained disparaging comments about the town on more than one occasion. The foundation stone was eventually laid in December 1895 and the buildings were officially opened on 30th September 1897.

,c

.,

1--

.'

76. The Municipal Buildings, Church Square. An imposing red brick building in the 'Queen Arme Style' by R. Knill Freernan, FRIBA, of Manchester, built by Joseph Howe of West Hartlepool. The building stands on what was known as the 'large quarry' from whence some of the limestone for Christ Church was obtained. The foundation stone was Iaid with full Masonic ceremonies by Lt. Colonel Cameron on 17th August 1887, and the building was officially opened with great pomp on 1st May 1889 by H.R.H. Prince Albert Victor, who was the first member of the Royal family to visit and perform an official ceremony in the town of West Hartlepool. The building was able to accommodate, for the first time, all the offices and departments of the Council along with the council chamber and the mayoral office. The statue is of Sir William Gray Bart., first mayor of West Hartlepool.

77. The General Post Office opened their new premises at Whitby Street in 1900, a brick building faced with Renaissance ornamentation in buff terracotta, designed by Henry Tanner of H.M. Office of Works.

78. St. Paul's Church, in Grange Road, was erected in 1886 at a cost of iS,SOO. Built in the Early English style, it consists of a chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays and a tower at the north west corner, the tower having four pinnacles and a short slated spire, Behind St. Paul's can be seen the catholic St. Joseph's Church erected in 1893/94 which is similar to St. Paul's being constructed of red brick with stone dressings. The red sandstone is from the Corncockle quarries with the interior of Bath Stone.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek