Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Hartlepool in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.O. Mennear
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cleveland
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3228-2
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hartlepool in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

79. All Saints' Church, Stranton, is an early medieval structure chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicu1ar style with some Norman stonework remaining. The Church was originally built in the early 12th century about the time Robert the Brus granted it to Guisborough Priory in 1129. The tower was a later addition in the 13th, and again in the 14th century. The stonework was particularly worn, the tower pinnacles being reduced to mere stumps until partial restoration was completed in 1982/83. Stranton village was the original area of settlement in the neighbourhood, the 'new' town of West Hartlepooi having expanded from its dockside beginnings has now total1y absorbed Stranton and few vestiges of its former appearance remain. The street-pattern and Victorian buildings around Vicarage Gardens manage to convey an impression of the former village.

80. York Road with the tower of St. George's Congregational Church (1902) in the distance. This road, now one of Hartlepool's major thoroughfares and shopping streets, was a long time in developing. As mentioned earlier, the centre of West Hartlepool began around the Church Street area and slowly moved westwards. By the 1880s York Road ran from Hart Road to the Buro Valley but did not cross it - it was not until the mid 1890s that York Road was connected with Stockton Road and the Burn Valley Pleasure Garden was formed. The street scene above shows a fun range of small commercial properties, usually with living accommodation above. Today, the trees are mature and in some instances replaced.

81. A view ofWard Jackson Park around 1905. This was opened to the public on 11th July 1883 to commemorate Ralph Ward Jackson who had done so much for the town of West Hartiepool. The original 17 acre site on the Tunstall Hall estate was purchased from Mr. Wooler for f:100 per acre. The Town Improvement Commissioners offered a premium of f,30 for an approved plan, twenty-eight were submitted and that of Mr. Mathew Scott was accepted. A crowd of twenty thousand people was present to hear the ceremonial opening by Mr. Edward Turnbull. The fountain was presented by Alderman Rickinson to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee, its pool was stocked with goldfish and it was completed for use early in 1902.

82. Iron sailing ships waiting for cargo in the Jackson Dock. The first dock in West Hartlepool was opened on 1st June 1847 and was appropriately named the Coal Doek as it was on that mineral that the tewn's prosperity was initially founded. Such was the success of the enterprise that the Jackson Doek was opened on 1st June 1854 quickly followed by the Swainson Doek on 3rd June 1856. The Swainson Doek has now been rilled in, but the Jackson Doek and Coal Doek have been combined to form one larger dock.

.~-

83. Central Doek, Middleton. It was not until1876 that steps were taken to conneet the doek systems of the two towns and by September a force of five hundred men began the last great excavation under the direction of Mr. Walter Scott. The work took four years to complete and was officially opened on 6th July 1880. This included the North Basin, the Central and Union Docks, Middleton Road was carried by a swing bridge across the open channel. The existence of these new docks allowed the construction of the Central Marine Engine Works in 1883 and the Central Shipyard ofWilliam Gray in 1887.

84. St. John's Presbyterian Church and the Upper Grade School, West HartlepooI. The Upper Grade School was built in 1884. lts foundation stone was laid on 20th February by W.R. Owen, Vice Chairman of the Stranton School Board. The site which cost tl,210 was given by Mr. G. Pyman, the building cost a further !3,820. The school catered for boys, girls and infant classes and such splendid work was done that it rapidly became overcrowded and was subsequently transferred to the 'cornmodious Elwick Road prernises' The St. John's Church foundation stone was laid with great ceremony by Isaac Lowthian Bell, M.P., on 17th December 1879. HartlepooI had a large Presbyterian congregation but in 1970 St. John's amalgamated with St. George's Congregational Church in Park Road to form the United Reformed Church. Both these buildings were designed by the West HartlepooI architect, James Garry, both are now demolished - the school in 1984 and St. John's in 1985.

85. This photograph of Whitby Street around 1907 shows several notabie buildings. On the left is The Waterloo Inn and beyend that the large General Post Office, on the extreme right the window of the Constitutional Club can be seen. Previously located in Jersey Street (built 1873), the Club was rebuilt in Whitby Street in 1907 on land once occupied by the Old Theatre Royal. This Theatre was erected by Mr. G. Edwards in the early 1850s and renamed the 'Victoria' in 1868. The Victoria Hotel next to the Constitutional Club is a present day reminder of former times.

86. Lynn Street at the turn of the century. The prosperity of the town ean be detected from the hustle and bustle of this commercial thoroughfare. Two businessmen, with bowler hats and wing collars, are crossing beside the tram pole in the centre of Church Street. The two bollards were pedestrian 'refuges', where the tram ears halted. Two still exist, repositioned in Avenue Road to the west side of Victory Square. The Shades Hotel ean be seen in its former glory advertising its grill room. It is a most ornamental building - the ground floor is faced with glazed moulded tiles and decorated with round headed areading. It was from here that Mr. Witty, the licensee, was reputed to have distributed brandy to dazed passers-by during the bombardment of the Hartlepools in 1914.

87. Lynn Street, West Hartlepool. A eard date-starnped 1903, but one which is rather unusual in that it has the Hartlepooi seal overprinted in colour on a West Hartlepooi view. Lynn Street was one of a series of streets named after ports where Hartlepooi colliers traded - for example, Whitby Street, Jersey Street, Searborough Street, and of course King's Lynn. Some familiar shops ean be seen, to the left, Sage's bookshop, F.W. Appleyard (hardware), Burnip (drapers and hosiers), and beyond that the Athenaeum and the Yorkshire Penny Bank, on the right Mason's Haircutting Rooms and the Shades Public House.

88. Contractors at work laying a main sewer in Oxford Street, West Hartlepool, 1905. Note the steam-driven crane on its specially laid railway, the foreman in the middle distance with his bowler hat and the two-wheeled cart being loaded with clay fr om the crane skip.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek