Haslemere in old picture postcards

Haslemere in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6140-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Haslemere in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 Same twenty years have passed since the previous picture and the White Horse and King's Arms have changed very little, apart from the foliage adorning the front of bath buildings. It's difficult to date this postcard precisely. It was published by Wiles & Holman, who taak over the chemist's ofE. Gane Inge in 1909, but it bears one of Inge's serial numbers which should place it at 1904. It's certainly not as late as 1 909, because in that year electricity came to the town and the sub-station was erected immediately outside the Town Hall. The White Horse is now describing itself as' consider-

able enlarged' and 'perfectly quiet and comfortable'. It obviously wasn't that quiet for, as the new century dawned, several people were brought up bef are the magistrate on charges of illegal games of

chance there - admittedly they were only playing shovehalfpenny!

H'uf4 St. & Town Hall Haslenzere.

1 0 At the latter part of the nineteenth century the saddler and harness maker's shop was a familiar sight in every town. This photo, courtesy of the Haslemere Educational Museum, gives us a glimpse of one such business, Edgeler and Son, in the High Street. The shop was on the site of the present Midland Bank and we believe this photograph to have been taken around 1885.]ames Edgeler was born in Haslemere in 1848 and, besides running his harness making business with his son, he played an important part in Haslemere's history He was a member of the very first Parish Council in 1894. In 1 91 3 the council achieved the status ofUrban District

Council and Mr. Edgeler took on the mantle of chairman of that council in 1 9 1 6 - a post he held for four years.

11 On the east side of the High Street stood an attractive group ofbuildings which were demolished in the summer of 191 2 to make way for the London County &Westminster Bank. They consisted of the premises of Sydney Rogers, 'Hay, Straw; Corn & Artificial Manure Merchants' , Emest Appleby's boot store and a hairdressing business. This particular photograph, which was taken on 6th March 1 91 2, is from the collection belanging to Surrey Local Studies Library. Mr. Rogers' two delivery carts stand outside the store. They were probably constructed by the old established firm of Scammell & Nephew of Spitalfields. Started in 1837, this

firm of bodybuilders and engineers made all sizes of carts for bath private and trade use and, several years later, designed the first truly matched articulated lorry.

12 OnMay1st1907anew steam flre engine was presented to the town by Mr.

R.e. Garton Esq., ofLythe Hili. This postcard, produced to celebrate the occasion, is from the Haslemere Educational Museum's colleenon. Mr. Garton, wearing the bowler hat, handed over the fire engine to the chairman of the parish council, Mr. Allen Chandler, in front of a gathering of over 1,000 people. After Mr. Chandler had thanked Mr. Garton and called for 'three ringing cheers', Mr. Garton was invited to light the engine fire, The Surrey Advertiser and CountyTimes ofSaturday, 3rdMay 1907, tells us that 'in the short space of 4 minutes 58 seconds,

which was the official time, steam of 1 OOlb pressure had been raised ... Mr. Garton started the engine, and in the next moment a well-directed jet of water shot up into the air' . The engine, proudly

bearing the words 'Haslemere' down either side, was described as having 'set the fashion in the fire engine world'!

13 InAugust 1907 Sir Harry Waechter instigated a competition for local bands, which took place at his home, Ramsnest, near Chiddingfold. Four bands took part: Haslemere Town, Haslemere Institute, Petworth and Northchapel. The adjudicator was Mr. J. Orde Hume and each band was required to playa selection from H.M.S. Pinafore. This photograph, from the Haslemere Educational Museum's collection, is ofthe proud winners of that first contest, Haslemere Town Band. The conductor, proudly displaying the Ramsnest trophy, is Mr. G. Goodchild, while the Secretary of the Band is Percy A. Bridger (back row, far Ie ft ). Besides the tro-

phy, which had to be returned at the end of a year, each member of the band received a silver medal. In second place were the Haslemere Institute Band, while the Northchapel Band took third.

14 The High Street, looking north, around 1903, published by E. Gane Inge. The first thing that we notice is the splendid chestnut tree which was planted in 1792 by Clark, the Sexton. It stands outside the Georgian Hotel, which was, until 1919, a private house.Two ladies, parasols in their hands, pause to pass the time of day outside Angel Cottage, formerly the Angel Inn. The cottage was demolished around 1 930. Both ladies are elegantly dressed, the one on the right wearing a particularly stunning hat which appears to have sprouted wings! Looking at the wheel tracks made by the carts in the distance, it's worth remembering that dust

on the roads was a major problem at this time. Pedestrians' clothes would either be covered with dust or splattered with mud and, in many cases the dust could consist largely of dried horse ma-

nure! The Parish Council went to great lengtlis to ensure that dust was kept to a minimum by having the streets watered regularly.

15 At the top of the High Street stands The Lodge, best known, since 1926, as the home of the Hasiemere Educational Museum. This outstanding museum had begun life in 1888, where, in an outbuilding at his home, 'Inval', the eminent surgeon Sir Jonathan Hutchinson, began putting together his private collection. lts subsequent success prompted him to build a new home for his collection nearer the town, on Museum Hill, which was compieted in 1 895. The museum continued to expand and by 1 92 6 even Iarger premises were needed. The opportunity came following the death ofThe Lodge's owner, Miss Hesse, when the love-

ly Queen Anne house was put on the market and purchased by public subscription. The new museum was opened by the Earl of Midleton on 27th August 1926. The admission charges at that time were 3d

for adults and 2d for children. This particular postcard of The Lodge, in the centre of the picture, was published by Frithin 1901.

i t J

"

J[as/emere.

16 We are backin 1885 again with this photograph by [ohn Wornham Penfold from the Surrey Local Studies Library. Having reached the top of the High Street, we are now on our way down again. Almast in the centre of the picture, hidden by the large tree, is the smithy. You can [ust make out a cart standing outside. The errand boy is near the entrance to WeU Lane. At the end of the lane is a dipping well which, when this picture was taken, was one of the two principal sourees of water for the tewn's people, the other being at Pilewell in Lower Street. As a plaque on the well tells us today, 'Hasle-

mere's last public water carrier, Hannah Oakford, who died in 1898, charged a penny ha'penny a bucket to deliver water to houses in the town'. Today the water is not suitable for drinking. The

houses immediately behind the boy were replaced by shops in 1897.

1 7 It's difficult to date this photograph of the old smithy in the High Street, but we believe it was taken around

1 887. At this time there were several blacksmiths in the town - horses always needed shoeing! N ext door can be seen the tile-hung fishmonger's shop ofArthurWilliamson. The building itself was one of many houses in the area immortalised in water colours by the artist Helen Allingham. To the right of Williamson's is the chemist's shop of Peter Aylwin. Born in 1827, Mr. Aylwin also held the office of postmaster in the 1 870 's and he was fond of recalling the fact that he sent

the very first telegram out of Haslemere with his own hand!

The mithy, mei Haslemere.

18 In this postcard published by E. Gane Inge at the beginning of this century we are looking down the High Street towards the Town Hall. On the right is the great chestnut tree standing outside The White House, now the Georgian Hotel, while on the left are the premises of S. Trotman, jeweller and watchmaker. A small boy wearing a Uttle Lord Fauntleroy outfit appears to be dragging his feet behind his mother and younger brother or sister. Frances Hodgson Burnett's story ofUttle Lord Fauntleroy was published in 1 886 and for many years boys were forced to wear little Cedric's Cavalier-style black velvet suit with its lace collar and long

cuffs. A telegraph boy leans on, appropriately, what I imagine must be a teiegraph pole outside Stokes grocery stores and hygienic bakery on the other side of the road. At this time the Post Office was

situated atWilliam Charman's Newsagents just beyond Stokes in The Broadway.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek