Haslemere in old picture postcards

Haslemere in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6140-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Haslemere in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 Sir Jonathan Hutchinson wrote ofhis museum in its early days: 'My wish is that even uneducated persons should be enabled to grasp the great principles ofbiology, and to take a firm hold of the main facts which have been established as to the history of the planet on which they live and the progress made by its inhabitants. I shall not attempt to train specialists, but rather to make elementary and general knowledge an easy acquisition to all: This photograph, from the Museurn's own collection, of the Zoology Room, was taken by Private H.Y. Torrance, D. Company, 55th Canadian Battalion, one Sunday aftemoon in December 1915. By this

time Sir Jonathan had passed away, but the Museum was in the very safe hands ofE.W:

Swanton, who had been its curator from 1897 and would remain so until 1949. Today, the Educational Museum, at

its present location in the High Street, is one of the very few private museums in the country and is greatly respected.

30 A postcard ofThursley End, published around 1903 by E. Gane lnge. The imposing house was built in about 1639 by Francis Iackman, a carpenter, on half an acre of land belanging to his cousin [ohn Steed, owner of the Half Maan - at that time a public house - standing opposite the Town Hall. The building [ust visible immediately beyond Thursley End is the police station, built there around 1855. Before that time the criminal element was locked up in the cell under the Town Hall. The police station served the community until after the First World War. Then it moved to West Street and the old building became a private house. Today it bears the name 'Old

Coppers' , reminding passersby of the part it played in the history of the town.

31 It was a sunny autumn aftemaan on 7th October 1885, sa John Womham Penfold decided to take his camera out into the streets of Haslemere. He captured this group passing the time of day outside Collards, in East Street, as Petworth Raad was known then. The baby in its three-wheeled pram is being taken out by two young members of the household, one in uniform, the other, perhaps, on her day off! Collards is one of the oldest houses in Petworth Raad. It was built in about 1540 by Thomas Billingshurst and his descendants lived in the house over the next two hun-

dred years. When this photograph was taken in 1885 Collards was occupied by a brickrnaker, Charles Gay Roberts. Mr. Roberts manufactured a rain water separator, which could get rid of foul

water and store the clean. Photo courtesy of the Surrey Local Studies Library.

32 Two ladies pause for a chat in East Street on 21 st October, 1885, captured by the camera of [ohn Warnharn Penfold. However, they would probably say they were chatting in Cow Street - the name being derived from the Red Cow public house, the small white building in the distance. Following the parliamentary elections of 1754 it became known as the place where seven extra votes were skilfully manufactured by dividing the freehold of the building - it even had a song written about it! However, by the time of this photograph it was a bakery, run by William Gibbs. The two ladies are standing outside 'East Garden', in 1885 the home of

William Upton, a bootrnaker, and his wife, who was a dressmaker. The cottage is mentioned on a map of 1605. Photo courtesy of the Surrey Local Studies Library.

33 Here we have alm ast the same view of East Street, but taken same fifteen years later. A Spaniel dog basks in the warm sunshine and, at fust glance nothing has changed. Looking closer we see that the cottages to the east of the old Red Cow have been completely renovated and that 'East Garden' , on the extreme left, seems to have had the same treatment, as weil as having a verandah added. Verandahs were very much part ofVictorian style. Here the lady of the house could greet passers-by and invite them to sit for a while, without the formalities of having to invite them inside, In 1902 'East Garden' was the home of Mr.

Charles Whymper, san 000siah Wood Whymper, the artist. Our postcard was sent in 1904 and the sender remarks on the 'clean comfortable litde rooms in this streef and adds, 'Miss W has been sa

kind' . Could she have been staying at 'East Garden', I wonder?

34 This [ohn Wornham Penfold photograph of East Street, taken on 21 st October 1885, and loaned by the Surrey Local Studies Library, gives us a closer look at the old Red Cow public house, although by now it is a baker's shop run by Williarn Gibbs. Mr. Gibbs was just one of the traders who came under fire five years later from the Sanitary Committee of the newlyformed Surrey Council. The town was being promoted as a health resort and disturbing reports had been appearing in The Lancet. Dr. Edward Seaton, Medical Officer of Health for Chelsea, was commissioned to report on the sanitary condition of Haslemere. On 24th May 1890 he visited

the town and found that: 'At Mr. Gibbs' bakehouse in East Street there is a pig stye and stable, which at the time of the inspection were in a ├╗lthy and offensive condition, only I 8 feet from the bakehouse.'

From its creation in 1894, Haslemere Parish Council worked diligently to reetify problems such as this.

35 This rather paar quality photograph from the Haslemere Educational Museum's collection is of Arthur Williamson's fishmonger's business after he moved from the High Street into No. 17 East Street at the end of the last century. By 1905 he was trying to branch out in another direction, or, at least, we think it was rum. The local papers became full of indignant residents complaining about a new fried fish shop that a eertain Mr. Williamson was trying to open near the railway station. People spoke of the 'heavy sickening stench' and one turn of the century commuter wrote: 'You used to arrive by train on the 6.19 and say "Heaven be thanked, how

good the fresh air is". Now it's like arriving in Petticoat Larie!' Mr. Williamson persevered for a while, but, obviously Haslemere wasn't ready for fish and chips just yeti

36 Let's look back to 1885 with another photograph of Bast Street, by [ohn Warnharn Penfold, courtesy of Surrey Local Studies Ubrary. On the far right is the family grocer's business ofWilliam Deas, while next to him lived and worked [ohn Burrows, a carpenter. Then came George Timms, coal merchant, and finaIly, nearest the weIl, Robert Kingshott, a gardener by trade. You can just make out the cobbles, which stretched along the fronts of many of the old houses. Placed there to help raise the path above the terrible state ofthe roads,

they came in for a great deal of criticism as the new centu-

ry dawned, especially from those who had recently moved to the area from London. The local paper joined in the condemnation, nicknaming them 'petrified kidneys' and suggesting smoother

paths, but the requests feIl on deaf ears, at least for the time being.

3 7 Tbis photograph from the Surrey Local Studies Library is again by [ohn Wornham Penfold and was taken ten months later, in August 1886. This time Mr. Penfold decided to point his camera east, rather than west, along East Street. We begin on the extreme right with the caal merchants business of George Timms at, what was then, No. 59. Mr. Timms has now acquired a sign board to advertise his business and, na doubt, thatis one of the harses he uses to pull his coal wagon. Next to him, at No. 58, we win find Robert Kingshott, a gardener by trade, and then, at No. 57, the sign hangs over the welcoming door of Mark Bicknell's

'White Lion' public house, or 'beerhouse' as it was known then. William Clark, a carrier, lives in No. 56 and bis neighbour is Charles Pannen, a shoemaker by trade.

38 In this B. Gane Inge

card, published in 1904, we are looking along Lower Street towards Bast Street. In the centre of the picture we can see the timber-framed Capital & Counties Bank, while nearer, on the right, is another bank. On the left a pony and trap wait patiently outside the outfitters shop of the Garnrnon Brothers, who se premises also included the house next door, known as The FoHy, and the adjoining furniture, bedding and bedstead warehouse. Ebenezer Garnrnon started his business in the mid-1870's, and by the 1890's had brought in a manager, Mr. J.H. Meadows, to run the expanding firm. Gammon Brathers could satisfy your

every needs from furnishings to funerals. They were also proud to carry 'Ready-

Mades' , off the peg garments. It's easy to forget that, at the turn of the century, mass-produced garments were almost

unheard of. Most outfits were tailor-made or, for the less affluent, made at home.

f:ast 51. f(as/emere.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek