Haslemere in old picture postcards

Haslemere in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Annette Booth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6140-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Haslemere in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 And here is the same view of Lower Street, published by Frith just eight years later in 1 91 2 . The dilapidated old building on the extreme right has been pulled down and the bank has become a pharmacy and opticians. Oppostte, Gammon Brothers have had a new shop front fitted - look at all the straw baaters in the window. A very smart nanny in uniform probably has her eye on same of the latest ]aegar woollen underwear! In the centre of the postcard you can just make out an additional gas lamp - ane of faur new lamps erected by the Gas Company in 1911. Althaugh it's impossible to see in this picture, the lamp most prob-

ably had a red band painted round it, identifying it as being in the speed limit area.

40 The Capital & Counties Bank in the High Street was built just after the turn of the century, although it had come to the town in 1891. This postcard was published around 1904 and you will notice that its London publisher has sited the bank in Lower Street - quite an easy mistake, especially if you're not a local publisher. Even the Kelly' s Directories of the period have trouble deciding what to call this part of Haslemere. In 1903 the bank is situated in Market Place, rather than High Street. At the time of our postcard Mr. G. Owen Wheeler was the bank manager and hours of business were from 11.00 a.m. until

3.00 p.m., apart from Wednesday, which was early dosing.

41 This photograph from the Surrey Local Studies Library was taken on Bth Iune 1912, by an un-named photographer, and shows the Old Malt House which once stood at the bottom of'Shepherd's Hill on the corner with Lower Streel. It's hard to believe that this is [une - the youngsters are wrapped up in coats and the little girl standing under the signs is wearing a scarf! In the 1700's the building housed the business of Iohn Chase, a brandy merchant, but in the period we are looking at it was the premises of H. &}. Purkis, maltsters, hay, straw and corn merchants. The Purkis family came to Haslemere in 1867 and Henry Purkis started his business

in the 1890's.The Old Malt House was demolished in the 1930's to facilitate the widening of Lower Street.

42 Sliepherd's Hili is perhaps one of Haslemere's most photographed streets with its row of cottages, which include examples from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, winding gracefully up the hili. But, looking at this postcard, published around the turn of this century, you will realise that it is now a mere shadow of its former self Today only the five cottages, Nos. 9-17, remain, the one on the right by the gas lamp being demolished under road widening schemes in the 1930's, as was the Old Malt House on the extreme right. The house on the left, which jutted right

out into Sliepherd's Hill, has also been swept aside by progress.

. }(aslemere: She herCts

43 Another look at Sliepherd's Hill, this time courtesy of Haslemere Educational Museum. The photograph is undated, but it is earlier than the previous picture, as there is na telegraph pole visible half way down. In the 1880's these were labourers' cottages, housing simple country folk who, even as late as the 1900's, believed strongly in folklore and superstition. Seeing the horse and cart reminds me of one tale that used to be told. An old woman living just outside Haslemere was believed to be a witch. On one occasion, when sorne horses puiling a cart gat stuck in mud, the carter deliberately hit the lead horse across the mane with a

whip because he believed that the witch was hiding there. According to legend, the following morning the old woman was seen with her arm in a sling!

44 Haslemere Educational Museum's photo ofThe Cottage Hospitalon Shepherd's Hill, which was built and presented to the town by]ohn Wornham Penfold and his sisters in 1 898 in memory of their father and mother and as a permanent memorial of Queen Victoria's Diamond Iubilee. On a lovely summer Saturday afternoon in [une, or so the SurreyTimes tells us, the hospital was formally opened by the Lord Lieutenant of the County, Viscount Midleton. lts first matron was a Miss [ohnson, who was in charge of just four beds. These were always full, so that before long it was necessary to enlarge the hospital, and by the 1920's the premises had

become too small for the community, necessitating the building of the present hospital at Pound Corner in 1 923. This postcard was published in 1900, a year in which 83 patients were treated; 43 of

whom were cured and 27 'relieved or improved'. Presurnably the other 13 did not improve!

45 [ohn Wornham Penfeld's name is also associated with the Parish Church of St. Bartholomew. In 1 87 1 the church, originally built in the 13th or 14th century, was almost completely rebuilt, apart fromits tower, to the design of the local architect and surveyor. Later, in 1 888, a new south aisle to hold a further 120 people was built, providing total seating for 540. The Reverend Herbert Candy, writing about 'aId Haslemere' in 1894, remembered worshipping at the Parish Church when the musical part of the service was 'rendered by a flageolet, played by a fat old tailor, accompanied by a fiddle'. He was not that impressed when a new organ

was installed in 1 890. This postcard, sent in March 1904 to a Miss King from her sister N ancy, bears the rather odd message: 'Our little maid is coming to see you and will post this on her way.' Perhaps

it wasn't etiquette for a mere maid to hand over a letter or postcard personally?

46 The Haslemere Educational Museum loaned me this wonderful photograph of the builder's yard of George Wardie in Lower Street. Once again, it is another of those taken by [ohn Womham Penfold, this time on 18th August 1 886. We could learn a lesson from Mr. Penfold. How many people, myselfincluded, actually bother to date the photographs they take? Besides being a builder George Wardle was also an undertaker and, as we can see, his yard was behind his dwelling house. Perhaps it is almast lunchtime the water cart stands ready for George and his workers to wash their hands. Small bowls lean against the side of the

water barrel and a towel is draped over the shafts of the cart. The lady of the house has come out for the photograph - not without putting on her bonnet first, of course. Note the bird cages hanging on the

wall. They probably contain canaries, a popular pet with Victorian families.

47 This [ohn Wornham Penfold photograph, courtesy of the Surrey Local Studies Library, was taken on 7 th October 1885. What a wonderful legacy Mr. Penfold left the people of Haslemere - not only recording the architecture of the day, but also capturing the people at work. Although we unfortunately don't know who the young woman is or where she lived, we are given a glimpse oflife 110 years aga. On the surf ace it is an idyllic picture, as she stands in her beautiful white dress, drawing water from the well of her olde worlde cottage. But the reality was that in many cases water supplies were dangerously near cess-

pools or privies, causing outbreaks of typhoid and cholera.

48 Having photographed George Wardle 's Yard on 18th August 1886, Iohn Wornham Penfold set up his camera three days later outside Mr. Wardle's house and captured these cottages at the top of Lower Street, or Station Road, as it appears on a map drawn in February 1886 by [ohn Clark. Mr. Clark was a newsagent in the High Street and he was also the Chairman of the Working Men's Institute Comrnittee. The gentleman standing outside his cottage. with his wife in the doorway. is most probably Reuben Harding. a leather cutter by trade. In the cottage next door lived William Maides, a

smith, who specialised in ironwork, and then came

Henry Booth, who was a company agent and, as far as I know, no relative! Once more I am grateful to the Surrey Local Studies Library for the loan of this photograph.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek