Hastings in old picture postcards

Hastings in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Anne Scott
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5582-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hastings in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. This building is the 18th century Customs House in High Street, a relic of the days wh en Hastings was a port for customs purposes. The Customs Yard behind the gates on the left was used for storing seized smuggled goods and other items. It was demolished in 1962 despite attempts to preserve it, but the far end of the building with the long and short quoin stones, can still be seen attached to the Post Office on the right.

10. Hill Street looking towards St. Clements Church, where a curfew bell was rung during the winter at Spm until the Second World War, a cu stom surviving from Norman times. This was the signal for the smaller boats to set off herring fishing. The Hole in the Wall pub is on the left ofthe picture. This was a greengrocers and off licence at this date cl905, but later became a pub which closed in 1971.

11. c190S. 'Stoakes and Carey' boot stores on the extreme right of the picture is now 'Ye Olde Pump House'. Next door was 'Henry Playfair and Co' another boot store. In 1910 George Street had six shoe shops and was a thriving commercial thoroughfare.

12. This picture cl930 shows Hastings and St. Leonards piers in the distance. The large corrugated iron coach station and the new boating lake can be seen top right. The buiJd-up of shingle against the harbour since 1930 can be appreciated. The most dramatic elements of the picture are the horse capstans and the tuming circles made by the harses, as the boats are hauled up the beach.

13. cl930. These two horses are working one of the capstans that hauled fishing boats out of the sea. The horses were hired from the Corporation stables at Rock-a-Nore by the fishermen. The Pierwarden collected the dues until this office disappeared in 1924. The Corporation replaced their horse-drawn dust carts with lorries in the mid-1930s, and motor winches then replaced the horse capstans. The net shops are unique to Hastings. They are mostly three-storied to accommodate th ree types of net, mackerel, herring and trawls. They were numbered in rows A-Z but now only L-W survive.

·: ~_. ~ »,

.':".

... -:.

... ~ '- ..

': ?? ::....::. ??.? .-~# ..-..:-:- ?.?. ~_.'.J: -., #~

";'7:.. ,.'0 ~.- ?? ~::.#-.::..,;--

dó". '. . ~

-:-.... ~

14. This fine photograph of the 1880s demonstrates how far west the fishing quarter th en reached, and how many net shops have been lost. Hastings still has the large st beach-launched fleet in Britain. The East HiIllift has yet to be built.

15. c190S. A Hastings fishing boat drying its sails with a be am trawl over the side. Most ofthe boats on the water are Rye smacks. Hastings boats were too smal! to accommodate a steam engine. Motor engines we re installed in boats here from 1914. In late Victorian times the fishing fleet totalled around 80 boats, todayit is just over40. Hastings boats are registered at Rye and the initials RX come from the first and last letters of 'Rye, Sussex' .

16. c191O. The Fishermen's Church, dedicated to the patron saint of fishermen St. Nicholas, was opened in 1854 as a Chapel of Ease for All Saints and St. Clements. It was used as a ware house for a few years after 1945, befare being opened as the Fishermen's Museum in 1956. The museum depiets the local fishing in dus try with a full-sized lugger on display. The church is still used for baptisms. A horse can be seen being led out of the Corporation stables to the left of the church, possibly to fix to the cart on the right or to work a capstan. The letter V can clearly be seen on the net shop indicating its row.

17. c1927. The buildings at Rock-a-Nore behind the boats have all been demolished, including the Cinque Port Artillery Volunteers Drill Hall with the square tower, and the buildings used by the Corporation for a variety of purposes. As weil as the stables there was a mortuary and a refuse destructor. The refuse destructor consumed 42-45 tons of refuse daily and generated enough power to opera te a pump for street watering, a supply of energy to a stone-breaking plant, and water for the hydraulic power to run the East Hili lift.

East H lil Lift, Hastlngs

18. c1919. The East HilI lift was opened in 1902 and is still a popular ride with visitors. The brick -domed tank ofthe East Weil was built in 1846 with extra money raised by public subscription for the victims of a fire, which destroyed twenty net shops. It was one of the few sourees of fresh water in the Old Town. The building next to the lift is a tanhouse where nets, sails and cIothes were tanned.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek