Hastings in old picture postcards

Hastings in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Anne Scott
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5582-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hastings in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. ChiJdren coJlecting water from the East Wel! in the early 1890s. The cart is delivering nets to the tanhouse.

astings.

20. The retail fishmarket stood at the bottom of High Street until it was demolished in 1928. It was built in 1870, on the traditional site of the fishermen's annual fair. It had twelve stalls when opened, although only four were still in use when it closed in 1924. The space was used as a turning circle for trolley buses from 1928.

21. The wholesale fish mark et c19ΓΌ4, almost opposite the building in the previous photo. From here barrows would be loaded to seil fish around the town. The buildings in the background are Mercers Bank which stood at the bottom of All Saints Streel. By 1895 this area formed the western limit of the fishing industry.

No.72

THJt FIS,HtNG OnA..RT~R_ H"--~TrNG~

22. Adams and Diton were fish salesmen. The Jolly Fisherman pub has closed, but the London Trader is still there. This picture c1912 shows clearly what a wealth of unique buildings was lost when Mercers Bank was demolished in the 1920s. This also had the effect of moving the fishing industry firmly south of the sea front. The attractive street lamp appears in many of these pictures. In 1910 Hastings had 1595 gas and 615 electric street lamps.

23. Rock-a-Nore Road about 1930 after Mercers Bank had gone. The Prince Albert pub, next to the imposing shop front of Gallops, Ships Chandlers, below East Cliff House, saw the foundation of the Winkie Club in 1899. 'Breeds Beers', advertised on the side of the building, were brewed in the Old Town for over 100 years.

24. Taken about 1910 this shows the fishmarket and the Lifeboat House which was built in 1882. It was nearly washed away during a storm the following year. In 1959 it was demolished to allow the road to be widened. With the construction ofthe harbour arm in 1896 the shingle began to build up at this point. The concert party was a popular entertainment for visitors to the seaside until 1940.

- ~ -

--==---=: -:.._-.;:

25. This picture is dated 5th November 1906 and shows the Hastings lifeboat, Charles Arkcoll Il, putting into Rye Harbour after its first rescue mission, to save the crew of a sailing vessel the 'Fruit Girl'.

26. e1928. A web oftrolley wires straddles the road, and the lamp standards have ehanged to accommodate them. Same ofthese poles with their finials on top ean still be seen in the town. The Iifeboat ean be seen through the open door of the Lifeboat House on the right. The Lifeboat House lost its turret in 1927 to faeilitate road widening.

27. The first recorded attempts at building a harbour were during the reign of Elizabeth Ion the rocks shown in this picture taken between 1900-1910. Despite many schemes during the 19th century it was not until1896 that work began on what is now known as the harbour arm. Work stopped on the project in 1897, when an ancient mud-filled riverbed was found running across the seaward end. The construction caused much conflict with the fishermen. Their net shops and capstans were displaced, and to add insult to injury shingle from their beach was taken for the concrete. Shingle has accumulated against the harbour in recent decades and much of the construction is now buried in the beach.

OLD HH:::iTINU:> rl<uJI'I. r.n:> 1 MTLL

-------"

28. This view from the East Hili shows the harbour with its railway, soon after work had stopped on its construction. and before all the materials brought in for it had disappeared. Was hing ean be seen drying on the beach. The wash-house in the Bourne enabled women in the Old Town to make a living by taking in laundry. It was eommon practice to dry the washing on the beach as few houses had back gardens of any size.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek