Hastings in old picture postcards

Hastings in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Anne Scott
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5582-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hastings in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. The Priory Meadow c1920, befare the erection of Marks and Spencer and Queens Parade. The recreation ground was home to Hastings and St. Leonards United Football Club, Hastings Bowls Club and Hastings and St. Leonards Post Office Sports Club in 1910. It was the scene of hustings for elections, military parades and a variety of bizarre happenings, such as the exhibition of a whale's skeleton in 1866 and a tightrope fatality in 1905.

50. The East Sussex Hospital was opened in 1923 and became 'Royal' in thefollowingyear. Before the site was infilled with additional hospital buildings, it provided gardens and recreation facilities for staff. The open land in the top left corner is now occupied by the Sports Centre. Below th at the building with a cannon in front is John's Place, home of Hastings Museum and Art Gallery since 1928. The Royal East Sussex Hospital was replaced by the Conquest Hospitalon the Ridge in 1992.

2121 Hasfings.

51. The Albert Memorial clock tower was built in 1863 in memory of Queen Victoria's Consort, Prince Albert. It was 65ft high and soon became the hub of Hastings. Demolished in 1973 after a fire, gone but not forgotten, its name lives on. There is a great variety of publie transport in this picture c1905. The trams had a yellow and brown livery. The horse-bus is for a journey along the sea front. Permission for the tram lines to be extended along the sea front was not granted unti11906.

- -

-- ---

52. This café was a popular venue for morning coffee and afternoon tea with its splendid Art Nouveau shop front in Robertson Street.

53. Robertson Terrace, before its symmetry was spoilt by unsympathetic reconstruction after bomb damage in 1943. In the 1930s the entrance to Europc's first underground car park was excavated in front of the lion, This !ion with its matching unicorn at the other end of the green, were reputedly designed by Landseer for Buckingham Palace . These two were surplus to requirernents and the Crown Commissioners, who own this land, erected them here. The peaceful parade, ideal for parking a bathchair, became part of the main road.

54. The Palace Hotel, now Palace Chambers, was built in two stages in the 1880/90's. This picture was taken during the First World War when cadets from the Royal Flying Corps were staying there. They can be seen on the balconies and on guard under the imposing portico.

55. White Rock Baths, cl907. Constructed in 1874 with the promenade extending over, it clairned to have the largest swimming bath in the world, the Gentlemen's (tepid) Swim Bath, holding 250,000 gallons of water. There was also a Ladies' Swim Bath and Private Ist and 2nd class Baths. The latter could be hot or cold, fresh or sea water. There were also Turkish baths and a Russian bath. There was one family day and two ladies' days at the baths. Hot, cold or tepid sea water could be delivered to any part of town. A swimming master and a swimming mistress were always in attendance.

56. This bandstand on White Rock Parade was erected in 1895. This picture c1903 shows the promenade packed with deckchairs. The sails of a pleasure yacht can be seen in the background beached at Harold Place.

57. By 1920 the bandstand had been moved to Hastings Pier and been replaced by these kiosks. The names of the shops painted high on the eaves are characteristic of the time, eI927. 'Brown and Woodley' whose name can be seen on the kiosk to the right, and over one of the shops, published a series of postcards from the pictures ofW.H. Borrow, a Victorian artist, who lived tocally for much of his life.

HAS , .. """/ I
~
~
~ 58. cl905. Hastings Pier opened in 1872, is 910ft long and cost f23,OOO. The pavilion seated 2,000. It acquired a variety of buildings over the years, and underwent major changes after a serious fire in 1917 when the pavilion at the end was destroyed. It provided a landing stage for pleasure steamers, and had arepertory theatre until the 1960s.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek