Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Joyce P. Fitch
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-6141-1
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9 Originally three cottages, this long. white-fronted house is now one dwelling with an address of 12-14 the Street. Earlier it formed part of the adjacent property. Walnut Tree Cottage, described in the preceding entry. Over three hundred years aga, in a court document of 1657, it was called 'The Starr' when a searnan, named Thomas Viner, being ott the signe of the Starr, an Alehouse in Hatfeild ... did take one hort, a close conté, a puire of breeches and a paire of Jersey stockings from William Atkeeler, bricklayer, who had given him lodging. His punishment is not known. In 1886. Mrs. White, an occupant of alm ast two

hundred and thirty years later, keeps a shopping baak (found in the skirting board) which records: ... 2 pints pros, Sd., blacking (for the srove) l d., 54 yd velvet, 9d., -N Lb cheese 6d end % Lb tea, also costing 6d. These as-

sorted purchases would have been bought from shops nearby (see Nos. 12 and 16).

10This fine old house and butcher's shop stood at the junction ofBury Lane (extreme left edge) with the Street. It was taken about midday with the sun shining on the joints of meat displayed in the window and at some time before 1908 when the present shop was built. The weil-built gentleman was Mr. Iohn Steele, butcher, who lived atTerling, and he stands beside his young assistant. Occasionaily a drunken fight would break out at the local hostelry whereupon the landlord would send for [ohn, Standing 6 feet 2 inches tall in his stockinged feet and weighing 18 112 stones, he would grab the miscreants by the scruff of the neck, lift

them up and bang their heads together befare carting them off to Witham police station. The new premises were first occupied by Mr. R. Sorrell, (whose phone number in

1 92 0 was Hatfield Peverel 9)

then Mr. Stevens (bath butchers), before becoming Jonathans Estate Agents. Today it stands empty

11 Ta take this picture of 1905, the photographer must have sta ad in the centre of the now busy junction near Bury Lane where the Al 2 sliproad meets the Streel. The fence on the left fronts [ohn Steele's shop (see No. 10). Next door, with its advertisement for Quaker Oats on the side wall and a tin bath on the gmund at the front to catch rainwater, is the general store ofWalter J. Clarke. Today it is the Post Office. Beyond is the spire of the Methodist Chapel while on the right, the oriel windows of David Doe, shoemaker, project over the pavement just as they do today. In the gap that follows there onee stood a pair of houses, long sinee gone. Three lath and

danger from trafftc, stands posed for the photographer.

plaster houses, built in 1702 and pulled down about 1 9 1 2, stand on the farmer site of the old Village Hall. This was erected in 1 920 and in its turn demolished (see No.

1 5). One small boy, in na

Hatfield-Peverel, Essex.

AJford, Stationer, Witham.

12 We willlook more closely at the shop in the foreground, referred to in card No. 9.The name above the window is that of Mr. Walter Clarke, but it was his wife, Ada, who ran the business while her husband worked at his forge (see No. 16). Mrs. Clarke sold everything from calico to candles, and paraffm to clothes pegs; in the window are ready-to-wear garments with rolls of material staeked on the shelf above. Sides of bacon had to be boned ready for slicing, eheeses skinned, and butter cut into slabs and wrapped ready for sale, Mrs. Clarke, herself mother of seven children,listened with a sympathetie ear to her custorners'

troubles. The whole family was musical, and between them they were profleient on piano, violin, trombone, piccolo and drums. The next window was onee a part of a tiny toy shop kept by Miss

Gaywood from whom little Ernie Springett bought his first fishing rod and line. It costhim 6d.

13 This particularly charming Spalding picture of 1907 shows David Doe with members of his family outside bis home and workplace on the right of the Street. Called Vinehurst, it still stands today opposite the Post Office and is the oldest known example of an inhabited house in the village for, twenty years aga, Vinehurst was dated back to originsofaround 1350.Mr. Doe, for twenty-five years a widower, was, within living memory, a boot and shoemaker and displayed examples of bis work in the nearer window As he worked he whistled 'Sssss sssss' between his teeth. His daughter Minnie sold sweets and minerals from the second part of the

shop, over which is displayed the sign Cydists Rest. Thoughts of refreshment must have spurred on many a weary pedaller to gain the top of Hatfield Hill. A straw-hatted driver holds lus horse steady

outside the Chapel in this scene of a more leisurely age.

14 Standing as it does, at the top of the hili with its spire piercing the skyline, it is easy to spot the Methodist Church. Until1875, when this, the second church (or chapel) was built for the tendered sum of G97, worshippers gathered in a building directly opposite, now the site ofUrban Cottages. Erected beside a pigyard in 1 826 this first eliapel provided a permanent place of worship and replaced open-air meetings. Mr. George Shelley was an early preacher, while Mr. Ioseph Langstone and Mr. Williarn Oliver at one time provided music on the flute and concertina respectively. Local knowledge dictates that, in the Essex earthquake of 1884,

the weathercock was toppled from the steeple and was never replaced. It is interesting, therefore, to note that in this Spalding photograph, probably 1907, the weathercock on the steeple appears to be intact. In the First Warld War the premises were used by the Bedfordshire Yeomamy.

15 Twenty-six men from the village died as a result of the Great War. Ta cernmemorate them, and all who served, a Village Hall was ereeted in 1920 on the site mentioned in card No. 11. The total cost of the hut, building and equipment was {'1 ,000 and the Hall was faeed by brieks from Mr. Marnage's brickyard at Nounsley. Coneerts, socials, dinners and receptions, whist drives and dances were among events that taak plaee there and are remembered with nostalgia. When the dancing beeame energetic the wooden floor would bounee and ereak sending clouds of dust into the air. The snooker club played at the Hall and it onee

housed the village library. Heating was by coke-fuelled tortoise stoves which invariably gave off choking fumes when first lit. Necessary additional ventilation was provided by two sliding panels in the roof, opened by a longhandled pole. This eouple represent one of many as they emerge from their wedding breakfast.

1 6 The tiny figure in the middle of the Street in 19071908 is Harold Lawrence, His father, [ames, the youngest of eleven children, was errand boy at Mr. C. Dowsing's shop (now Peverel Estates), whose daughter he married in 1902. In November 1918 the couple bought the business from F. Luckin Smith for

n 75 and traded there for many years. Cheeses, in 70Ib rounds were left to mature for three or four months and sugar was scooped and bagged from a drawer holding one hundredweight. [ames sold haberdashery, paraffin and ladies' and gents' footwear and did not close until ten 0' dock at night. The gentry sent a chauffeur-driven car

to collect orders and Mr. Lawrence hunself delivered by motor cyde and side car. Recessed, is Mr. Clarke's forge with its paraphernalia set out in front; Forge Cottages follow (now a restaurant) and

then the Swan public house. The tree, opposite, marks Church Road corner.

1 7 At first dus scene appears to be the 1930s, but a closer look shows the worrian's dress to be ankle length and another card in the series (see No. 46) confirms a date of around 1 9 1 6. Between Lawrence's shop on the left and Forge Cottages, project the handles of a cart at the Forge itself In the distance is Springfield House, its long brick wall running down to rwo cottages built at right angles to the road. Next is Mr. W Oliver's shop with bakehouse adjacent; a white wooden fence surrounds the garden and a sycamore grows in the grounds near the gap which is Church Raad. Mr. Perrin's trade sign stands high in the air beside his three-ga-

bled house appropriately called Gables (see No. 18.) formerly the Golden Lion. Gables and the next three cottages have all been demolished. Urban Cottages with their white fencing are on the

extreme right, where a plaque bearing the date of 1895 is just visible on the wall below the roof

18 Mr. Iames Perrin's coaching business, the equivalent of today's taxi service, stood at Church Raad corner (now the bungalow, Baswin). In 1891 it was the Golden Lion, a beerhouse kept by Isaac Nice. In this card of 1910 Mr. Perrin, complete with top hat and a dustcover across his lap, is seated in the brougham. His commissions ranged from conveying gentry to and from the railway station to taking families to the seaside. The groom, nicknamed 'Pigeon', is surnamed either Guilder or Pannell, and the horse is called Boxer. Another horse, Edward, was commandeered by the Bedfordshire Yeomanry, stationed in the village during the Great

War, three officers being billeted with the fàmily. Mrs. Pertin later took in washing and ironing, usual work for many women, hanging out the wet clothes to dry on a line strung between trees in

the Garden Field. Pink and white horse chestnut trees (since felled) stand in the background.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek