Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Joyce P. Fitch
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-6141-1
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

19 Mr. Oliver's bakehause stood at the junction of Church Raad and the Street on the site of today's Kitehen Design Centre. The shop and house, seen here, fronted the old Roman raad and the replacement building has been aptly named 'Oliver House'. Entry to the shop was by the side door where a brass bell on a coiled spring tinkled on entry. Five generations of 01ivers earried on the business, the earliest being born in 1823 and named William, the first of four to bear that name. The last was called Charles. Bread was baked daily, year in, year out, and delivered to the door by horse and cart. In the 1920s, the raund extended over a wide area eovering

Boreham, Little Baddow, Woodham Walter, Ulting and as far as Langford ehureh. Most of this raund was arnicably shared with anather family of bakers, the Cleaves. At Christmas, villagers brought oversized festive fowl to be cooked in the capacious ovens.

20 Street Farm adjoined the cottages called The Lilnes and today is the site of Flats 2 -1 2. Swan Close. George Knight, who ran Street Farm. died in 1902 and his wife in 1915. after which their unmarried daughter, [ulia, carried on the business. Where today the bypass runs, cows were kept in a meadow behind the farm and, for the price of one penny. villagers could buy a jug of milk at the door. Miss Knight renred in 1923, selling the business to Mr.

George Smith, whose son, Ted, started a milk round using a horse and small cart, ladling the milk by hand out of a churn, With the advent of Lord Rayleigh's Dairies mechanisation, the function

of the farm changed to Road House. A round disk on the left positioned next to one of the two original wroughtiron gates leading to the Farm, reads: Official Quarters National Cyclists' Union. Deckchairs

are set out behind the brick wall in the shade of a horse chestnut in blaam.

21 In this card, franked 1912, we have moved on but a few yards. The rough surf ace of the road is clearly visible and merges almast imperceptibly into the footpaths. Behind the leafy trees on the left stands the pair of sturdy little early-18th century cottages called The Limes, seen earlier, and looking much the same today. They are opposite the car park entrance, but na lime trees remain. Hatfield Cottage stands on the nearer side of Station Raad, where the signpost points its finger firmly towards Terling. From Quince Lodge, on the further side, to the distant Providenee Cottage lies open land bounded by wire strands and known simply as 'The Wires'. Foot-

ball was played here and behind the 'Duke' (see No. 39). Ta our right the long brick wall of Spring field House comes to an end and, as we now follow the pointing finger to the railway station,

nothing stirs in the Street save two small girls.

22 We have rounded Station Raad corner. Two lath and plaster cottages, similar in style to those seen in card No. 11, and possibly once an inn or beerhouse, stand to our left. In 1930 Mr. Walter Peirce moved into the nearer of the pair reversing his horsedrawn cart into the window of the house next door! The terrace of four brick houses whose front doors opened into a passage leading straight through to the back, stood on the site ofthe recently-erected house at No. 1, Station Raad. On fine summer evenings the inhabitants brought out chairs placed directly beside the raad to sit and watch the world go by. It was known locally as 'Hell's Row'

because of the loud arguments between certain of the occupiers. In a yard at the back, Mr. George Pease, inhabitant, and coalman for Moy's, kept his open-topped cart, and horse. The steam engine used for road mending and watering, together with its green painted cart, was also kept here.

23 As early as 1843 Hatfield Peverel had a railway station. Six years later it was totally destroyed by fire, and it was not until 1 st March 1878 that a new station was opened by the Great Eastern Railway Company. The ontward appearance has changed little enough to be instantly recognizable in this postcard dated 1 9 1 S. Two exceptions are the signal box, its roofbarely visible on the extreme left, and the covered, wooden footbridge where passengers crossed to the down-line to Colchester. A plan of the station in 1909 gives evidence of a far larger complex, showing sidings, goods yard and coal yard, as well as the gardens apportioned to the sta-

tionmaster, signalmen and platelayers. Today the rough surf aces of the goods yard and the forecourt, the latter seen here, have been tarmacked and are in use as car parks. In 1994 the station

won the award of Best Smal1 Station in this region. The

, 1 850' is a reference num ber, not a date.

24 A view of the down line in 1 91 5 is seen through the arch of the beautifully -designed footbridge. Spanning the track its steps are of wood and a canopy covers passengers as they transfer from one platform to the other, The signal box, also a woeden structure, was manned by signalmen working shifts, and eertam late night travellers were aften invited in for a 'fry-up' of eggs and bacon cooked on a gleaming shovel over the hot tortoise stove! At one time manned by a staff of around 26 the station also had a large and thriving goods yard, now the area covered by the larger car park. On bath platforms freight awaits despatch or collection.

The scalloped, roofed shelter on the left with its very low seat has only recently been dismantled and replaeed. THIey oil lamps lit the platforms, an open loek- up kiosk displays its wares and Lord

Rayleigh's Dairies sign ean be seen in the station yard.

25 In the first decade of the 1900s Lord Rayleigh's Dairies Refrigerating Station was built as a collecting depot and cooling plant. Milk from nearby farms was brought here and the milk cooled before being poured into churns and loaded on to the trains. Much ofthe milk came from Terling and for the horse pictured here the haul up Station Hill must have been hard work. The plant, shown here and in the preceding picture, is marked on a G.E.R. station plan dated 28thJanuary

1909, and is situated opposite the booking hall entrance. Simply marked 'Dairy', a pencilled note adds: Rayleigh pays EI. 2s ( two guineas) per yearfor use of Yard. The plan also shows

a rough sketch, marking a proposed additional building, on the present site. How that building has grown! In the late 193 Os the Station Yard plant was closed and couverted into two cottages, their

front gardens still standing unusually high.

26 As we turn to retrace om steps to the Street, we pass this 1927 view oftwo buildings at the left ofthe station exit: theTemperance Hotel andYewTree Cottage. In the census of 1 891 Daniel Death, aged 60, lived at the cottage and his occupation is given as: Cat, Rat and Mice Destroyer! Seen here with its raaf thatched, the house is marked on a map of 1897 as the only building on that side of Station Raad. It is also known to have been the school which .. young Harace Moore (born 1873) attended, as later did his granddaughter, Mrs. Hilary Doe (Cable).TheTemperanee Hotel, popular with cycling clubs and loeal inhabitants, was entered by the door

on the left where customers sat on hard, wooden settletype seats, Cakes, covered by round, glass dornes, were set out in tempting array on the lang counter and soft drinks only were sold. In the 1920s

Mrs. Alice Wicks ran the hotel and her sister, Miss Annie Isted, the school.

27 Still in Station Raad we approach the signpost seen in No. 21. Behind the uniformed bandsman lies the Street with the tall chimneys of Springfield House stabie block to our right. Facing us is the ivyeovered house, Wisteria Cottage, onee owned by Mr. E. Ward, saddler and harness maker (established 1 850). In a Parish Magazine of 1908 he advertises: Portmanteaux and Trunks made and repaired on the premises. Every Stabie requisite supplied. He made leather footballs for the dub and one of his men, Mr. George Lucking. made Ernie Springett a wrist strap, still good today. Miss julia Knight later retired here from Street Farm (see No.

2 0). after which it became

Mrs. Lyne's draper's shop (see No. 8) and until recently it was a bockshop. It now stands empty. Ta its left are two of the terrace of four brick cottages which appear in a sale catalogue of 1922

and which were sold for fAaa the lot!

28 Little Horaee (Horrie) Moore (see No. 26) grew into an enterprising man. Born in 1873, the son ofCornelius Moore, baker and postrnaster, he later lived at No. 3, The Terrace, working as a postman and cyde rep air er. In 1 899, from a shed at his home, he advertised his business as:

Motor Cycles & Cycles, Pram Repairs, and when, in 1914, he moved to Quinee Lodge in the Street he took the shed with hirn. Seen here beside his garage in Station Raad (nowMarshall's) he sits astride the motor eyde with side car which he made in 1920. He sold petrol in rwogallon drums, delivering them on his machine. Mr. Moore was an accomplished

trumpeter, and, in contrast with his casual appearance here, was photographed by Fred Spalding wearing the splendid apparel (complete with top hat) of official trumpeter at the opening of the

Chelmsford Assize. The business dosed in April 1992 and the 'shed' is now oceupied by Martin Phillips, stationer.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek