Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Joyce P. Fitch
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-6141-1
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hatfield Peverel in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29 We have moved on in time to 1928, the year this card was posted. In 1921 the rough road surface of the Street was macadamised and the pavements kerbed. Our pedestrian does not pause as he takes a step to cross Station Raad, while the driver ofthe solitary car steers blithely along the very centre of the road. The signpost, now moved to the other side of the Street (see No. 21) lies in the shadow of the house on this sunny summer morning. and by enlargement it has been possible to decipher the lettering. It reads: Hotfield Station, Terling, Leighs, FeJste(a)d end Dunn1OW. Few today would choose to take this slowand tortuous route to reaeh the final desti-

nation. Mr. F. Ower's ereepercovered house with its business premises stands to the right and is now Scott's Restaurant. Next is Peppereorn, with The Limes and Street Farm hidden behind trees; the

Swan Inn is just visible at the far end of the Street.

30 About 1898 Mr. Charles Watson had his building business (see No. 48) in the

Street. Twenty years on, in 1918, and near the same spot, a young Albert Cable poses nonchalantly with others in front of the large quince tree which gave its name to Quince Lodge and Cottage; the roof afHorace Moore's 'shed' adjoins. Raad widening in 1953 reduced the depth of the front gardens by six feet. The bigger break in the wall on the right is Station Raad, while in the hause immediately beyond, naw Scatt's Restaurant, ance lived Mr. F. Owers, the village undertaker. The brick house just diseernible on the extreme left is ane of the terrace offour (see

No. 27), with Wisteria Cottage and the stable house of Springfield House adjoining. This large house has since been demolished but stood on the site of the car park and Hadfelda Square. In front of

the light cart, also on the left, a man with his bieyde turns the wheel ta cross the road.

31 In the early 1920s Mr. Edward Claydan set up the Universal Garage in the Streel. Intriguing advertisements appear in bath windows and the one on the left is still fitted with the original glass. Taday the garage belangs to the Caward family and the trian-

gular-shaped roof now has an identical twin extending as far as the gateway on the right. This gateway, still there, once gave aeeess to White Hart Cottage in Maldon Raad. Behind the fenee is a field of standing cam where Mr. Ernie Wright remembers once

pieking peas. Taday, Red-

man & Hales, the Milestone Estate and part of St. Andrew's Raad oeeupy the site while the spinney of elm trees onee grew at the junction of Bennett Way and the faotpath to Toulmin Road. On the forecourt stand three splendid ve-

h.icles identified as a Matchless Model H motoreycle combination with a spring frame; a motoreycle, possibly a B.S.A.; and what is probably a three-wheeler Morgan RUIlabout.

32 This postcard of the Street, datedAugust 1925, should be viewed with the card that follows, We are outside Chestnut Cottages and look back towards Station Raad. On the right is the wooden building earlier owned by coachbuilder, Fred Diaper, but here by two brothers, Frank and Dick Bright, wheelwright and coachbuilder, respectively. Today it is the prernises of a dentist and a central heating business while the house in which Frank's farnily lived is a florist's shop. Next door, Mr. Louis Cleave succeeded Cornelius Moore who was bath baker and postmaster. the latter occupation being carried on in the room with the bay

window (now a pizza takeaway).The low-roofed, wooden-walled building is the flour shed (ryre centre) and in the raad stands Mr. Cleave's Model T Ford van. Providenee Cottage, the home

of Mr. HemyWood, greengrocer and market gardener, is now a betting agency and the Mace Stores occupy the site ofhis small wooden shop.

33 From the fIour-mixing shed of Cleave 's on our left, we look along the neat fencing to the sign of the Duke of Wellington public house. In this card, which probably pre-dates 1 914, the side door of the house leads into the bakery, the bay window is the old post office and roses scramble up the wall of Mr. Frank Bright's home. Brothers Frank and Richard (Dick) Bright carried on their combined business of wheelwright and coachmaker in the tall, white building. Carts were made on the upper floor and sent down on inclined planks while wheels were wrought below. After the war Dick began to build a bus. The advertisement on the huge,

partly thatched, barn, reads:

DunJop Tyre Stock, while inside, farming tackle was stored, Mr. Wood threshed grain and children played. With a forge situated across the raad it was an ideal spot for soldiers to

bed down with their harses. Since demolished, it is now the site of the Wellington car park.

34 This is the bus that Dick Bright built. The engine was a Ford Model Tand the wooden body was painted dark red; Dick completed it just in time to take a party to the first Cup Final to be held at Wembley in 1923.A bench ran on either side, passengers facing, and twice-daily on Fridays he transported wornen to Chelmsford market for a fare of one shilling return. They chattered all the way there and back and it became known as "The Parrot Cage'. Other expeditions included Bank Holiday trips to Maldon. ferrying darts teams to matches at Maldon and Southend, and taking pupils from Hatfield Peverel and Terlillg schools to Witham for

woodwork and cookery classes. With seats removed, Dick carried dead pigs to Southend and helped with house moving. Three other members of the Bright family, Harold, Alfred and Norman, appear in

this photograph of the local darts team on an outing to Epping, and Dick, hirnself, is on the far left.

35 We now move to the Duke sign and look back across the road to Blacksmith's Yard, today part ofthe Tyre Centre. At the Forge, the roof of which is seen sandwiched between the two groups ofhouses, Henry Harris, blacksmith, carried on the trade ofhis father, ]oseph. Henry's own son, William, who worked with hirn, served as a farrier with the Royal Horse Artillery in the Great War. In the Parish Magazine of February 1 91 7 he, and several other serving men, are mentioned as having received letters and pareels from home. Ta our left are Chestnut Cottages, a terrace of three built in 1865.A group of seven children stand outside the

gate of No. 1. and possibly include some of Mr. E.Wright's farnily who at the time lived in No. 2.The author, herself, was later barn at No. 3. It is interesting to note that even at a time of little motorised

traffk the brick wall outside this last house has been partially knocked down.

36 Ethel Harris's occupation as the only woman blacksmith in the country was of sufficient interest for this photograph to appear in a national newspaper during the First World War and certainly worthy of inclusion in our baak. Barn in 1879, she was the only daughter of Mr. Henry Harris and his wife. By

1 891 , Henry was a widower and Ethel not only helped bring up the family, but also assisted in the farge. Henry himself died in 1916 and Ethel, a familiar flgure in a leather apron, worked full-time as farrier. Upan her skills, many saldi ers depended to keep their harses well shad. Here, in front of one of the two flres at the farge, and fashion-

ing a harrow, she wields a fearsome-laaking and heavy, seven-pound hammer. In 1924 Ethel married Fred Brett and they converted the small building seen next the raad in the previous and follawing

cards into a garage. William, her brother, returned from Rutland to take over the forge.

37 In a directory of 1882 Henry Harris is listed as one of two blacksmiths, a trade he was to follow far more than thirty years. Framed by the magnificent wrought-ironwork sign he made with Wîlliam, his son, we see Henry standing outside the daar of his forge around the year 1910. The sign, which reads:

H. Harris Farrier & General Smith was later sold by his daughter, Ethel, and shipped to Arnerica, but William's weathervane remains. The old house was shared by three families, the Harris family occupying the largest part on the right. Today it is one cottage, Salvadare, and two flats called Hooks and Sheaves. Sharp eyes will spot the workmen,

among them two of Henry's sons, with another, Fred, on the right and nattily attired in plus-fours. In the FirstWorld War, army harses and mules packed the yard waiting to be shod and branded. In 1924

the small building near the road was converted by Mr. Fred Brett, Ethers husband, to become the Forge Garage.

38 Standing at a prime spot on the old coaching road from london to Norwich and opposite Maldon Raad, is The Duke of Wellington public house. It was first lisred as a pub in 1832 when it was kept by Sarah Edwards and still offers refreshment for weary travellers, although today's coaches are motorised. D. Mills was landlord from 1902 to 1912 and his name appears here on the main sign. The projecting board reads: Cyclists & Porties, Dinners & Teas Provided and the one below: Pratt's Spirits. As horse and cart await the driver's emergence from the hostelry, a young man stares down at the ground and a bearded gent strides out towards horne. Note the light

trap standing near the fence. Right beside the raad are the small, briek-built Feoffee almshouses with further chimneys vistbie near the tree. In the distance is the Terrace (see No. 40), where

today's slip raad makes its hazardons entry on to the A12 bypass.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek