Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9. Park D.F. Church in 1926. This church was established in 1861 as a congregation of the Free Church of Scotland. Helensburgh Free Church (now the West Kirk) decided to form a second congregation to serve the members living in the east end ofthe town. The congregation met for a time in Grant Street School before moving into the new building, designed by John Honeyman of Glasgow. The church is situated at the corner of Charlotte Street and East King Street. The church took its name from the newly opened public park gifted by Sir James Colquhoun. Opposite the church on Charlotte Street is a modern block of flats imaginatively called 'Park Lane'. Across East King Street, where there seems to be a garden gate surrounded by a wall, is now a block of council flats known as Alma Place.

10. This card dated 1904 was sent to Miss Kate Milne in Norfolk. The message reads: 'My dearest Kate, Do you know anyone in this picture? The little girl in the knee sox is helping us with the children. Her father's shop is on the left ofthe card. She was sa proud to be taken for the card. Love, Mother. ' This cross was the gift of Sir James Colquhoun to mark the Burgh Centenary. It was erected in 1903. It was originally sited in the centre of the square, as seen on this card, but it proved to be a hazard to the carriages, especially in the dark. After one important resident had his carriage almast overturned the cross was removed to its present site on the northwest corner of the square. The buildings on the right hand side of the street were demolished in 1973.

11. This card shows the Bandstand and Old Parish Church clock tower. This church united with the congregation of St. Andrew's Church in 1956. The church of Scotland then took over the building and for a time it was converted and used as a hostel for personne! working at the Naval Base at Faslane. When the base built their own facilities the building was ernpty once more. Eventually it was bought by local builder A. Trail and Son who demolished it and cleared the site for building. The fate of the clock tower hung in the balance. It had been a landmark in the town for so many years the local population all wanted it preserved. It was regarded as a navigational feature by yachtsmen on the Clyde and at one time had been illuminated on all four faces. The builders took all this into account and the tower was saved. Today there is a block of flats on the site called Tower Place and the Tourist Board have a most attractive office on the ground floor of the clock tower.

12. Drumfork House is older than Helensburgh. It is an imposing mansion built in 1720. Its history is unelear. It is thought to have been a Drovers' Inn at one time. The Old Luss Road was a drove road used for transporting cattle from Loch Lomondside to Drumfork Ferry near Craigendoran. Pier. Col. G. Findlay, a distinguished military man and a holder of the Victoria Cross, owned the house for many years. When he died it lay empty for a long time. Another local man bought the property but he did not take up residence and the vandals took over. The out houses were badly damaged and the stables bumt down. In 1987 the present owners bought the house and transforrned it into a very comfortable guest house, while keeping the character of the building, which is listed Category B. There is a handsome wishbone staircase whose bannister was cut from the centre of a giant tree. The original shutters are still at the windows and the old kitchen range is still in use. The gas street lamp which stands in the grounds of the house was the first gas lamp to be connected to the town's gas supply. It has now been converted to electricity and illuminates the guest house.

13. This delicately coloured card shows the Victoria Hall built by public subscription in 1887, Queen Victoria's Jubilee Year, hence the name. It was at this time the centre of the town sociallife. Dances. subscription concerts, performances by the local amateur operatic and dramatic societies, etc. were all held in this hall. Once every year the Childrens' League of Pity charity gave a huge party in the hall. They sold tickets in aid of their charity and at 4.30 pm the local children arrived at the hall. The little girls ware beautiful party dresses and lovely velvet cloaks, they carried their dancing slippers in cute little cases. The boys looked smart in silk shirts and smart suits, ar kilts and velvet jackets. They were engaged in games and dancing and enjoyed a gorgeous buffet. 7.30 pm carne all too soon when their mothers or nannies arrived to take them home. Note the handsome carriage at the hall door and the children watching through the railings.

14. This beautiful sepia card is dated 1905. The left side of the street has not changed much. Modern stores replace the old shops. On the corner today is 'Anne of Loudenville', the town's only high class confeetieners. Helensburgh onee had several beautiful sweet shops but gradually they have all disappeared. The opposite side of the street has changed dramatically, all the old shops and attic buildings have been demolished and in their place is a fine modern development of shops and flats above. Where the gable end of the building is seen on the card, is today a splendid new Royal Bank of Seotland building which extends right down Colquhoun Street to the eornerwhere the Oxfam shop is sited. It is on the comerwhere the old Tower Cinema used to be. A fewmore shops and flats make up that side of Colquhoun Square.

$inclair Streel

J{elensbur~h

15. A lively picture of Sinclair Streel. At the bottom left of the street is seen The CIachan public house. There is a story told about several prominent business men of that time who always referred to it as 'The Presbetery', it seems they felt it was much more dignified to say they had a meeting in 'The Presbetery' than to say they were going to the pub. This building has been demolished long ago and in its place is an off license called 'Odd Bins' still selling the same merchandise. Note the high twin pram whose occupants seem to be dressed in white. The small girl beside the pram has a nice fur trimming on her coat. Just a little way up from the Clachan is a restaurant. Further up is the coal merchants yard of A. and R. Spy two of their carts can be seen making their way up Sinclair Street. There is a message boy cycling down the street and a cab at the corner of Princes Street and Sinclair Street probably from Waldie and Co. whose pre mises are situated on the right side ofthe street.

16. This card was sent to Mrs. Mackie in Edinburgh. Dominating the scene is the monument to the memory of Henry Bell the town's first Provost. Bell was born in Linlithgow in 1767. He began his working life as a stonemason, progressed to beoome a millwright, and finally qualified as an engineer, working under the farnous Rennie in Loridon for a time. He settled in Glasgow in 1790 then came to Helensburgh in 1807 where he worked on his steamship, and his wife ran their hotel. It was then the Baths Hotel, later it became the Oueen's Hotel and today ir is a block of luxury flats known as Oueen's Court. In 1812 Bell launched his steamship 'Cornet'. He died in his own hotel in 1830 and was buried in Rhu Churchyard. The obelisk is a graceful needie of polished red granite. It is one of the largest granite monoliths ever cut. It was erected in 1872 and was the gift of Sir James Colquhoun and Robert Napier , anorher leading engineer of that time and a great admirer of Bell's genius.

17. East Clyde Street in 1914. The East Esplanade is seen here enclosed by the iron railings which were there until the outbreak of the Second World War when they were removed and sent to help the war effort and were never replaced. The little red shelter marked the end of the Esplanade. Note the wide pavement on the shore side of the street and the narraw path opposite. Further along this street was the blacksmith's shop owned by MI'. McMurrich, who was Henry Bell's blacksmith and worked with him on the 'Cornet'. MI'. McMurrich's two grandsons presented the flywheel from the Comet's first engine, which has a diameter of seven feet, to the Town Council in the jubilee year of 1912. It and the anvil are displayed in the Hermitage Park with a suitably inscribed brass plaque commemorating the gift.

Princes Streel, looking Essi, Helensbarçli

18. This card, produced by Valentine , is dated 1912. It presents a charming scene with a number of children dressed in the style of the period. They are al! wearing hars, even the tiny tot at the bottom left of the card. Note the elegant lady crossing James Street. The Congregational Church is on the right. This church sits on the site of the first church to be built in the town and known as The TabernacIe. Further along can be seen the dome of the Post Office Building. On the opposite side is the fine red sandstone building known as Waverley Place. This building was designed by Robert Wemyss. There is a grocers shop D. and R. Clyde, and a tearoom known as Adams Tearoom.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek