Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

V32&-1l

HELENSBURGH, GOLF COURSE.

19. This sepia card, dated 1908, features Helensburgh Golf Course and the original clubhouse. It is a stark contrast to today's attractive clubhouse. This course first opened for play in 1894, at that time it was a 9 hole course. The clubhouse was a smal! wood and corrugated iron hut sited on Old Luss Road. In 1905 the course was extended to 18 holes after Luss Estates leased a further 46 acres of moorland to the club and the new clubhouse on its present site was opened in 1909 by the Duke of ArgyJl. The origina19 holes were designed by Tom Morris Senior, the famous St. Andrew's professional who had four open championships to his credit, and the extension to 18 holes was mainly the work of James Baird, holder of five open championship titles. A brief history of the club has been recently compiled by Douglas Lowe, a well-known sports writer and a member of Helensburgh Golf Club.

20. This card depiets a peaceful scene in GIen Fruin. Things were very different in 1603 when the riyal clans of Colquhoun and MacGregor staged a fierce battle in the GIen. Sir Humphrey Colquhoun's men were mostly cavalry and the muddy, marshy ground drasticaily hampered their movements thus giving a resounding vietory to their opponents. The Colquhouns lost between two and three hundred of their troops while the MacGregors unbelievably lost only two of their men. A number of young divinity students from Dumbarton had come to watch the fight, they were taken prisoner and loeked in a barn for safety till the battle was over. Later, as they emerged one by one, they were stabbed by an ancestor of Rob Roy MacGregor. These are the details set out in a book cailed 'Mountain, Moor and Loch' written under the pseudonym of 'Pen and Pencil' and published in 1895. According to this book there is a stone from whieh their blood can never be washed away. Sir Walter Scott teils the story of the battle in the preface to his famous novel 'Rob Roy'.

21. When Mr. Eric Rossi retired in September 1989 it signified the end of an era. When his father returned from the First World War he decided to look for a café in the town. He could not find anything suitable and was on the point of going to see if he could find pre mises in another resort when he was unexpectedly offered a tearoom opposite Helensburgh Pier, which the owner had decided to seil. A few months later The King's Café opened and has flourished for almost seventy years. It was a fine big shop with plenty of seating booths downstairs and another spacious seating area on the floor above. A generation of local youngsters bought their 'pokey hats' (ice cream cones) and wafers from Rossi's. and it was a regular weekend treat to be taken for a 'MacCallum' (a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a generous helping of Raspberry syrup poured over the top) or a 'Black Man' (a single nougat wafer). Sadly the delicious taste of Rossi's real ice cream, made from a secret family recipe, is now just a 'sweet memory'. The handsome red sandstone building above the shops was built in 1909. The milliners shop is now a jewellers.

22. Grant Street School dates from 1853. It was situated on the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. The school came under management of Row School Board in 1873. When Clyde Street School was opened in 1903 the little Grant Street School was closed. The site was used to expand the Gas Works, and for a time the school room was used as an office for the Gas Company. Eventually the Gas Showrooms and offices were built and the school demolished. Grant Street School was often referred to as "The Ragged School' as many of the pupils were children of very poor parents. The two boys seen on the card are the Loan brothers Frank and James. James is the younger brother, with the bare feet and he is showing his big brother a new penny he had been given by Iocal grocer William Dow. The little barefoot boy grew up to become a prominent business man in the town. The Gas Showrooms have been demolisbed and in their place is a councilhousing scherne known as Maitland Court.

23. Helensburgh Victoria Infirmary and Lodge. The Infirmary was opened in 1895. It was designed by local architect Wm. Leiper. The funds for the building were raised by public subscription. In the entrance hall there are beautiful light aak plaques with the names of all the subscribers, the dates and amount of the subscriptions. Many of the beds were also donated. They have handsome brass name plates above each bed with all the details. Many were given in memory of a loved one, a very nice way to keep their name alive in the town, Before the National Health Act came in 1948 many local tradesmen gave a donation each week towards the upkeep of the Infirmary, it was deducted and sent by their employers. The lovely little Lodge has also been demolished, possibly to widen the entrance for increased traffic in th is modern age. A new unit has been opened in the grounds called 'The Jeannie Deans Unit' to care for geriatrics. The main Infirmary building has also to undergo modernisation in the near future , again for care of the elderly.

24. Mr. William Porter, a handsome figure in his livery, seen here with one of the earriages belonging to MI. Kidston of Ferniegair House. Mr. Porter had been he ad coachman with Sir Alan Colquhoun at Rossdhu, Luss, Loch Lomond and on the death of Sir Alan he came to MI. Kidston. Note the cockade in his hat. This signifies that he is an experienced coachman. ha ving served his time as groorn, undereoaehman and finaJly head coachman, learning aU there is to know about the handling, training and understanding of horses. MI. Kidston had three carriages and two horses, ealled Mac and Tommy. Ferniegair House was demolished about thirty years ago and local buil der A. Trail and Son built a modern housing estate on the site.

25.This charming house with its crow stepped gab les is the back lodge of Ferniegair House. When the big house was sold and then demolished this little gem was spared. It was modernised and sold as a private residence. It was then calJed The Stables, as part of the original stables had been incorporated into the house at the modernisation. Mr. Porter and his family Jived in this lodge and the gardener occupied the front lodge on West Clyde Streel. Mr. Kidston rented a couple of fields to his coachman and Mr. Porter and his wife bought a few cows and took a shop on West Clyde Street to be run as a dairy and home bakery. Mrs. Porter ran the shop with the help of her daughter. She was a beautiful baker and at the festive season her shortbread, black bun and ginger wine were much in demand. Indeed lang after she had retired from the shop customers kept asking her to make these goodies for them at the Christmas season.

26. Camis-Eskanhouse, at one time the home of the Dennistoun family. In 1836 the family moved to Dennistoun Mains in Renfrewshire and sold Colgrain estate, which included Camis-Eskan house. Mr. Colin Campbell becarne the new owner and he made many changes. He enlarged the house, this photograph shows it in its late nineteenth century eondition. After the Second World War the house was sold, and for a time it was run as a sanitorium and later as a geriatrie hospital. When the Vale of Leven Hospital opened a geriatrie unit, the need for this hospital was terminated. In 1979 it was again in private ownership and today it is divided into six luxury flats.

Helensburgh

27. West Clyde Street in 1906. This delicately tinted card was sent to Miss Topping, Maryhill, Glasgow, with the romantic message on the back: 'Weil old girl, how are you? I am enjoying myself, will see you on Friday or Saturday with a bit ofluck, your loving friend, Eddie.' The street is very quiet, devoid of traffic, but with quite a few people around. It seems to be a sunny day as all the shops have their sun canopies down. They seem to be very colourful, some with pink stripes and some with blue. Note the length of the ladies' dresses, sweeping the ground. On the left of the card, at one time was the fashionable ladies outfitters shop of Madame Miller and a little further along a beautiful milliner's shop Sarah Buchanan, and on the corner Kirklands, ironmonger, and fancy goods store. Today this shop has moved to a position opposite the post office on West Princes Street and is concentrating on selling toys.

28. Rowatts shop 16 Sinclair Street about 1925. This family firm have supplied furniture, earpets and furnishings to the loeal population for seventy years throughout four generations. They were also eabinetmakers, upholsterers and removal eontraetors with storage ware houses at William Street and East Argyle Street. Their van ean be seen parked at the shop door and the clerkess is seen standing in the doorway. After several years the firm moved to other premises further up Sinclair Street and then made the final move to their present spaeious showrooms at 92/97 West Princes Street. Birrell, the well-known confectioners, had a shop next door to Rowatts. The name ean be seen on the sun eanopy, they also had another branch at 46 West Clyde Street. Their brand name was 'Milady' and the motif on all their packaging, chocolate boxes etc. was the elegant outline of a crinoline lady. Their confectionery was Iamed throughout Scotland and the two local shops did a huge trade. The shop on the other side was another family firm of A.N. Crawford, registered plumber, gasfitter and sanitary engineer.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek