Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

HELE~SB(;RGH

rRI~CES ST REET

29. This undivided back, dated 1903 shows Princes Street devoid of traffic but full of children at play. On the right can be seen the little umbrella shop owned by Miss E. Walker. This shop sold umbrellas, walking sticks, leather goods and a few small toys. It also offered an umbrella repair service. The shop was also well-known as aServants Registry. This was a forerunner of today's Job Centre. The difference being that here both ernployer and employee paid a fee on registering and another when suited, so it was a nice little side line for the business. A sm all green urnbreIla hung above the shop, it was a target for sm all boys throwing stones. When this business was bought in 1971 by Lilly's (called after Rhet Lilly of the famous handbag shop) they moved into other premises on West Clyde Street, taking the little urnbreIla sign with thern. It has been repaired, repainted and still hangs above the shop as it has done for 85 years.

30. This card dated 1910 just carried the message 'Ye Ken Whae Frae' and no signature. It shows Upper Sinclair Street just below the High Station. The house on the left is Northwood House, bought at one time for only J::SOO. Today it is a residential home for the elderly. Note the Post Office delivery barrow and the postman leaning on it. At this time the postmen had very heavy uniforms and their hats resembied those worn by the French Foreign Legion. Note all the ladies have their parasols up and the children on the opposite side of the street are wearing huge sun bonnets.

31. 'The Castie' on East Clyde Street. This quaint old building was demolished many years ago. It was christened 'The Castie' . The shop was listed in the Trades directory as a greengrocers, but it was a general store, selling everything from sweets to paraffin for lamps. The owner lived in the back shop, with just a curtain separating from the selling area. At one time there was a shop next door which sold antiques and secend-hand jewellery. One locallady teils the story of how, as a young girl in her first job, she fancied a bracelet in this window. She saved up to buy it and when she did so she found that the charm which she thought to be a threepenny piece was really a groat. This was an English silver coin worth fourpence. After 1662 this was only coined as Maundy Money. She still treasures her unusual charm bracelet.

32. This card in the Reliable series is dated 1909. It shows Helensburgh from the pier. The small boats probably belonged to the three main boat hiring families in the town: the Mundies, the MacGettricks and the Mackechnies. At one time seven fleets of boats plied their trade on the seafront at Helensburgh. The MacGettricks had three motor boats and the Mackechnie brothers a motor baat each. It cast 6d per hour to hire a boat or 2/6 for a whole day. Several people seem to be waiting at the pier, probably for a steamer.

33. This card is one of the Heraldic series. Most towns had cards with their town's coat of arms pictured on the front. This is the older version of the Burgh Arms, it has the shield divided vertically instead of horizontally. The engrailed saltire and the animal supporter is taken from the Colquhoun family arrns and the stars and human supporter come from the Sutherland arms, thus combining the crests of Sir James Colquhoun's family with th at of his wife, Lady Helen, who was a member of the Sutherland family.

34. This card, addressed to Mr. Rae in Calcutta, India, was posted in Helensburgh in 1915. It is a charrning study of West Clyde Streel. The horse and cart making its unhurried way along the street was probably a coal cart belonging to A. and R. Spy, coal merchants, whose premises were situated in Sinclair Street. This firm had several horses and they were stabied in the coal yard so that customers, when calling to pay their accounts, could, if so minded feed sugar lumps to the animals and chat with their handlers many of whom were real 'pawky' characters and all devoted to 'their' particular charge. The general favourite was 'Darkie' , a handsome Clydesdale and a real 'Black Beauty'. There was a great rapport between these horses and their handlers. Note how freely they are walking along side by side; the handler is not touching the animal, using no restraint, just controlling it with his voice and gestures. These coal horses knew which houses to stop at and would do so without being forced. They got tit-bits from some of the customers and they knew which houses these were given from, and would wait until they were forthcoming before moving on. The building they are seen passing is Flower Bank, a charming little property on West Clyde Street and William Street corner. It is listed Category C.

35. This handsome red sandstone building at 28 Colquhoun Street is today being used as a hairdressing salon, known as 'A Cut Above'. The owner lives in the flat above the shop. This building dates from 1859 when Mrs. Dixon (née Gay), her husband, and Mr. Heetor Gay (possibly her brother) bought 6 lots of land with a view to building houses. In 1879 1,007 square yards of ground on Colquhoun Street was eonveyed to Heetor Gay by the other two, with a house on it known as Gay Cottage. In 1908 Heetor Gay conveyed 368 square yards of ground together with Gay Cottage to the Helensburgh and Gareloch Liberal Assoeiation with a ground rent of H8 per year. The remainder of the ground was sold to the Christian Brethern who built the Bethesda Hall on it around 1930. The Liberal Association had their headquarters there until1948 when they sold the property to the Red Cross Society, who then used it as their headquarters unti11980. It was then sold to a Mr. Dayman and Mr. Darke, who then sold it to the present owners in 1983. This building in its lifetime has had many uses, and was at one time the site of a Shirt faetory, but this was a short lived venture and it soon closed down. The little building beside the salon is the new Bethesda Hall. Their eentre is built on the site of Gay Cottage.

36. This card dates from about 1901. The Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway opened in 1857 with a station at George Streel. By 1863 it had been extended to East Princes Streel. Cabs from the two earriage hirers Waldie and Co. and Frew met all trains. Opposite the station at 16 East Prinees Street was the business premises of Macneur and Bryden. In 1875 Mr. Samuel Bryden went into partnership with Mr. Macneur, buying premises from Mr. William Battrum, printers. Mr. Maeneur died soon after forming the partnership and Mr. Bryden then carried on alone. He built it up into a popular stationers, booksellers, newsagents and librarians, and in later years an estate agents. In June 1880 Mr. Bryden launched a loeal paper, ealling it 'The Helensburgh and Gareloch Times'. This popular little paper was sent all over the world, taking loeal news 10 exiles abroad. The thundering of the press was a familiar sound on East Prinees Street until1973 when the paper was sold to Universal Newspapers who cJosed the printworks and took the printing to other eentres in Seotland. The last owner of the business, Mr. Walter S. Bryden, took over from his father in 1959 and continued in charge untiJ it cJosed, after serving the local eommunity for 104 years.

37. This sepia eard, produeed by Valentine, shows the bathing pool on a very busy day. Perhaps it was during the Glasgow Fair Fortnight. Glasgow is just 22 miles from Helensburgh and it was an inexpensive trip to eome down and spend a day at the seaside. The pool was the gift of Baillie Andrew Buehanan in 1929, a year befare he beeame Provost. Warm sea water filtered in a continuous flow. There was plenty of room for bathers and spectators and sun bathers had a special endosure. Galas and floodlit swimming were regular events throughout the season. Qualified staff were in attendance to teach the art of swimming, lessans were arranged with the pondmaster. The pool dosed some years ago and another indoor pool opened nearby. The Granary Restaurant ean be seen on the eard. This was a popular eating plaee for locals and visitors. Also in the picture is the Old Parish Chureh doek tower.

38. This card, in the Reliable series, is dated 1904. It was probably posted during the Glasgow Fair Fortnight. The message on the back says: 'Thanks for card. All the houses here are full of Glasgow holidaymakers. Lovely weather, Great holiday Love A.R.' It is addressed to Miss Muir in North Wales. On the front of the card is printed 'The Esplanade, Helensburgh from the West' then the sender has added 'which looks a deal more lively just now than it is represented Glasgow Fairies'. Two ofthe 'fairies' are seen walking eastward along the Esplanade. Between the gable end of the small, low building and the large, tall building can be seen two white gateposts. In 1812 this was the lodge of Lady Augusta Clavering's estate, and marked the end of the town boundary. Today there is an ice cream parlour and café on the site which is called Augusta Lodge.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek