Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

War Memorial, t1ermitage Park, Helensburgh.

39. This card, dated 1930, gives a fine picture of Helensburgh War Memorial in the Hermitage Park. It is a domed monument facing ornamental water in a walled garden. The idea for the memorial taking the form of a Garden of Remembrance and set in the park was the brainchild of local artist James Whitelaw Hamilton, who lived at The Grange and was one of the group of painters known as 'The Glasgow Boys'. Local architect A.N. Paterson had designed a number of war memorials, but this one in his home town is eonsidered to be his best. The garden has handsome wrought iron entrance gates tastefully embellished with gold leaf, but they are outwith the area of this eard. Every year on Armistice Sunday the local youth organisations and usually a contingent from the Naval Base at Faslane attend the service here which is eonducted on a rota basis by the local Ministers.

40. This card features the Scottish Episcopal Church of St. Michael and All Angels on William Street. This is a handsome, early French Gothic building, designed by Sir Rowand Anderson who also was responsible for designing Glasgow Central Station. The church was built in 1867, it has an ornate tymponum and a rose windowover the west door. The north wall has an interesting series of projecting gargoyles. William Street has more than its share of these ugly creatures, as across the street from the church stands a house called 'Craigellachie' and on its roof are seated two very fierce looking gargoyles. Locallegend has it that they are directed at the church. Many years after the church was built Sir William Raeburn, a wealthy local resident, gifted a tower and beils to the church. The church building is listed Category B.

lidoria Road, Helensburgh.

41. This card pictures Victoria Raad. Part of this road was the subject of a beautiful watercolour by A.E. Walton, one of the Iamous 'Glasgow School' of painters. Evocative of Helensburgh in 1883 it is considered to be one of this artist's finest watercolours. Edward Arthur Walton was barn in 1860, one of 12 children. Among his special friends were James Whitelaw Hamilton, who lived at The Grange, Helensburgh, James Guthrie and Joseph Crawhall. Same of Crawhall's finest works can be seen in the Burre!! Collection in Glasgow. Walton, Crawha!! and Guthrie spent a great deal of time paiting in Helensburgh and district. They spent one whole summer painting at Rosneath near Helensburgh. In 1915 James Guthrie came to live at 'Rowrnore, a beautiful house overlooking Rhu village. Sir James Guthrie, as he later became, died in 1930 and was buried in Rhu Churchyard. His lifelong friend James Whitelaw Hamilton was at the graveside, he himself died two years later.

e ensburgh

42. This eard looks right down Sinclair Street to the River Clyde. The gates of the Victoria Hall ean be seen on the left and on the right the tower of St. Columba Church. In 1842 a group of local Presbyterian Dissenters began to meet regularly. Their leader was the widow of Henry Bell, the town's first Provost. On 6th March 1844 58 of these Dissenters signed a petition to the United Presbytery of Glasgow to be formed into a congregation and the same month they were admitted members of the United Secession Church of Helensburgh, and thereafter, in 1847 the United Presbyterian Chureh. In March 1845 the foundation stone of the first church (now King Street Hall) was laid. The congregation continued to grow and so in 1861 the present church was ereeted. St. Columba United Presbyterian Church became a United Free Church in the Union of 1900 and in further churches union became Church of Scotland in 1929. It has, however kept its own constitution of 1880. The church was designed by Wm. Spenee and is listed Category C.

43. In 1888 Robert Howie came from his home village of Rosneath to farm at Drumfork. He and bis wife raised four children. Robert Howie was a very good business man and in 1924 he was the first farmer in the district to own a tractor, and in 1932 he had electricity installed at the farm, the first in the area to do sa. To complete this hat trick of firsts he had the first milking parlour. In 1936 his youngest son, also named Robert, took over the running of the farm. He increased the herd and started a milk round. In 1939 the outbreak of the Second World War made big changes in the farming world. Farming areas were zoned and because the Drumfork milk was of such high quality it was sent to children and hospitals. There were ten men employed at this time. In 1952 Robert Howie died and his son, yet another Robert, took up the reins of the farm.

44. The milking parlour was modernised in the 60's and various cartoning machines were tried out. In the early 70's they suffered a serious set back when they had 70 acres of good land requisitioned when the town wanted to use the land to build two schools, Colgrain Primary and Hermitage Academy, as weil as several houses. In compensation they were given Townhead farm which they now run in tandem with Drumfork. In the 80's they had to reduce their staff when mechanisation and pasturation wereintroduced, but they decided to open a farm shop which supplies groceries to the Colgrain area and has found favour with the pupils from the nearby Acaderny. Today they have 230 he ad of cattle and they produce 260 gallons of milk per day. This success story spread over 100 years and throughout four generations is one of which the family have every reason to be proud. This photograph shows Mr. Robert Howie with 'Drurnfork Peg the l lth'. This animallived to be 21 years old.

,

,

45. This card dated 1920 has the message 'Peg and I were here yesterday. Got a drive round the loch with the coachman on his way to Glasgow. The scenery was lovely and it wasn 't a bit cold. Hope to hear from you soon. Love to the dear boy and yourself. Yours L.' This card gives a fine view of the Bowling Green. It seems to be a very busy day, the seats are full of spectators, perhaps it was a match. The bowlers are all very smart with white flannels and blazers, many have strawboaters also. This club was founded by a group of wealthy residents in 1861, by 1863 the club was built on ground leased by Sir James Colquhoun (4th Bart.). The clubhouse seen on this card was situated on the south side of the bowling green and was built in 1875 at a cost of ;[250. It was extended later and eventually replaced by anewclubhousein 1965.

46. This undated card pictures Craigendoran Avenue about 1925. At this time the Avenue was a pleasant place to live. Situated beside the sea and close to the pier and the station it was convenient for travel. At one time there was a hotel, Lomond Hotel, in the Avenue but with the closure of the pier it ceased to be a profitable business and was sold as a private house. At this time coal was loaded on to the steamers at the pier and the residents of the Avenue and Craigendoran area liked to hear the clip elop of the harses feet as they pulled the coal barrows to the pier. Three steamers would be standing ready to be 'coaled up'. Each took ten tons of coal. The North British Company kept a stabie in Glasgow and they sent one new horse each year for the work at Craigendoran. All the horses were given the nick-name 'Cuddy'.

47. This card features Colquhoun Square, the West Kirk and the Bank of Scotland building. The small cottage seen at the side of the bank has been demolished and the ground used as part of the bank car park. The bank has been enlarged and a new building built on Colquhoun Street connected to the one shown on the card. In 1924 a fierce fire almost destroyed the church, then known as St. Andrew's Church. It was a mammoth task for the Minister and congregation to restore it to its former beauty. In the early days of gas street lighting the streets in upper Helensburgh were not very weil Iit, making the streets a bit frightening for the young boys and girls who delivered papers etc. in the dark winter mornings. They got rogether and decided that they would gather at the corner of Colquhoun Square and wait for the dust cart to come along, it had a large lamp at the back of it and they all followed it up the hill, sharing its friendly lights.

48. This unusual card is dated 11th March 1915. The card features Helensburgh Citizen Army. The men are marching along the back Rhu Road, followed by a number of small boys. Things were very different for the Home Guard in 1940, during the Second World War. They came up with the simple but ingenious plan to put into operation should an invasion take place. They would take up a position on the railway embankment at the railway bridge at Colgrain. The road below had a row of holes drilled across it into which lengths of tramway lines could be fitted in a few seconds. The idea was th at should enemy tanks appear from the west they would have to stop and send men out to lift the rails. While they were busy doing this the Home Guard would open fire with their rifles and another detachrnent would hur! Molotov cocktails at the tanks. Luckily the plan never had to be put into practise.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek