Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Pub/ic .f(all anà School, .f(e/ensburgh

49. This card, dated 1919, gives a fine view ofthe Victoria Hall and the Hermitage School. The school is on the far right of the picture. Built originally for the school board of the Parish of Row - the old spelling of Rhu - which stopped being used officially in 1927. Until just after the Second World War Hermitage was a fee paying school. The fees were not large but the parents were expected to provide all books and jatters. This lovely stone building was demolished in 1967 and a new school was built at Colgrain. The Victoria Hall is also shown on the card and above it can be seen Prince Albert Terrace. In the front of the card is 'Millbrae House', 10 East Argyle Street, once the home of Dr. James Oastler Barclay, a well-loved local doctor.

Sinclair Street, Helensbnrgh .

® 6&"'1: ??

50. Sinclair Street in 1904. This street was chosen by Queen Victoria when she wanted to have a stroll on her visit to the town. She is reported to have arrived in Helensburgh by way of the Old Luss Road. On the left is the handsome sandstone building in the 'art nouveau' style by the Glasgow firm of architects Honeyman and Keppie in 1895. It was commissioned by the local Unionist Association to be their clubhouse. It appears to be a lovely sunny day. The elegant lady in white is using her parasol and the lady and gentleman crossing the street in front of her both are wearing straw hats. Further down the street on the right was the tobacconist shop and billiard rooms belonging to Matthew Dickie, known to all as 'Matta' . He was a well-known footballer, playing for Clyde and for Glasgow Rangers. One elderly locallady teils how her mother's minah bird used to sit and shout 'Play up Matta' over and over again.

51. This picture shows a group of local residents making a contribution to the Red Cross funds. The uniformed officer holding the collecting can is Miss Rankin, Commandant of Detachment no. 16. The collection was taken to be added to what was collected in the 'Mile of Pennies' the day before. The pennies were laid edge to edgc for a mile on the pavement, with officers standing at intervals to be sure that the pennies lay undisturbed until uplifted by the officials. This was a popular way of raising funds and quite a lot of money was collected in this way. The gentleman leaning on his stick is Mr. Smartt who owned Ortona Nursery which was situated opposite the Curling Pond offHavelock Street. Today the nursery ground is part of a Council Housing Scheme.

52. This is the Queen Charlottc Sociable. It ran between Helensburgh and Garelochhead. Before Henry Belllaunched rus steamship 'Cornet' in 1812 communications between Helensburgh and Glasgow was limited to two wherries and two daily coaches. A six seater light coach known as 'The Mermaid' and a four wheeled coach in which the passengers sat facing one another. This may have been a 'sociable' way to travel but in cold and wet weather it must surely have been most uncomfortable. The driver of this coach is Mr. David Wilson.

53. This is the toll house. In 1875 the boundary of Helensburgh was extended to this little toll house on Luss Road, where it still is. Toll houses were in use from 1860 until the early 20th century. This one is typical of all toll houses. This example is listed Category C. It has been lying empty for several years but has just recently been sold to a private buyer and is about to be modernised. The farmer with his cart horse and load of hay is probably from Luss, Loch Lomond.

54. This well-posed group of children was photographcd at a Sunday School outing from the Old Parish Church about 1906. The outing was to BalJoch Park. The two young Sunday School teachers are at the end of the back row and are dressed in a more casual way then the children. This is an interesting little vignette. All the boys except two have white collars and they are all bareheaded. The girls seem to be overdressed for such an outing. They all have very large hats with a great deal of trirnming. It must have been very difficult te run races and play games dressed in this marmer.

55. W.G. Christie, grocer and provision merchant. Their slogan was: 'When Ouality meets Compliments Pass.' This was one of Helensburgh's finest family grocers. The shop was wellplaced in Sinclair Street, large and airy. They had sawdust on the fIoor and a Brentwood chair at the counter where elderly customers could sit while giving their orders. The orders would be delivered the same day. They had a large stand of biscuit boxes fitted with glass topped lids which allowed the customer to see what they wanted while keeping the contents crisp and fresh. This shop was famous foir boiled garnrnon. Mr. Christie boiled it hirnself and cut it in smooth, unbroken slices. Butter and egges were also a speciality. Above the shop can be seen the Unionist Clubrooms. The shop and building are decorated and also the carriages at the door. This was perhaps in honour of the coronation of King Edward VII. Note the small boy in Boys' Brigade uniform standing beside one of the horses.

56. This is a picture of Helensburgh West End Football Team in 1916-1917. Helensburgh had many clubs to interest those with a sporting talent. There was a rugby club, cricket club, tennis, golf and curling clubs as weIl as the football team. The team members are as folIows, back row: J. Wheldon, J. Porter, Campbell, Mowatt, Duncan Mackay, Douglas Thorburn, David Rowatt, David Ross and William Orr. Middle row: Fred Marsland, Bobbie Morrison, McKissop, 'Pinty' Hill, Wm. Wright, Jim McIntyre and Jim Morris. Front row: R. Buchanan, James McKenzie andJohn McCulJoch.

57. This unique map shows what Sinclair Street was like in 1890. It was drawn up by alocal woman, Mrs. Barbara Morrison, who died at the age of 100 years. When she was 90 she was chatting with her son and began to name all the shops she had known in her youth. She had a remarkable and accurate memory and it is from her reminiscences this map was compiled. In 1890 Sinclair Street was quiet and fairly free of traffic, the cabs could meander down stopping at the door of any shop at any time. There is a story about one local lady who rode down town and rather than dismount she would guide her horse's head into the door of the baker's shop and collect her rolls straight from the saddle. Today vehicles cannot park outside the shops and the traffic wardens make life difficult for any who disobey the rules, For years there was a public house at each corner of one side of Sinclair Street, 'The Helensburgh Inn' at first, then it became 'The Cavalier' it is today the offices of the Abbey National Building Society. 'The Clachan' was at the bottom corner and today it is the off-licence known as 'Odd Bins'. This map and these memories are presented here by kind permission of the late Mrs. Morrison's son.

58. This card, dated 1910, has the message: 'Dear Uncle Tom, I am sen ding you this reference of me tobogganing with my friends and my dog, at the side. lam marking myself, Love to you, Jack.' The wintry scene shows Upper Colquhoun Street. The house at the top of the street is 'Rock Ibris', today it is run as a residential home for the elderly and renamed Marsden House. This was a favourite street for toboggauing. The boys used to dare each other to sledge at great speed and try to go right under the belly of a cab horse. Very dangerous but great exciternent. One local doctor used to use a sleigh to go and visit his patients when the snow was deep and the roads blocked. His approach was heralded by the muffled hooves of the horse, the crack of the whip and the jolly sound of sleighbells.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek