Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Patricia M. Drayton
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Strathclyde
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4875-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Helensburgh in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59. St. Joseph's Church. In 1865 Mass was first said by Father Macdonald in a cottage in East King St reet. He lived in Dumbarton and the title first given to the new parish was that of St. Bridget, due perhaps to its being an off shoot of St. Patrick's Dumbarton. In 1867 the Passionists who had arrived in Glasgow from Ireland in 1865 to begin their mission in St. Mungo's were asked to take over the Helensburgh Parish. The title was changed again to St. Paul of the Cross. In 1879 a site in Grant Street was acquired for a school and church. This church opened in 18S0 and the title changed once again, this time to St. Joseph's, The present church shown on this card was designed by Charles Menart, it is neo-Gothic in style and cast f3,OOO to build. It was opened in August 1912 and is thought to be one of the most attractive Roman Catholic churches in ScotJand. The funeral taking place in the picture was that of Chief Constabie McHardy, hence the number of marching policernen and the amount of spectators.

WEST CLYDE STREET, HELENSBURGH.

60. A peaceful summer scene on West Clyde Street in 1930. Along this part of the street several of the shops have changed ownership over the years but the type of business has rernained the same. T.G. Allan, ironmonger, was established in 1865, the present owners took over in 1939. They have enlarged and improved the business, adding reeently a eoffee shop. R.A. Drie is another well-known shop, selling beautiful china and glasswear. It has served the local people for over 100 years. Another 'little gem' is Webster, jeweller. This shop was originally owned by MI. Morrison, then MI. King took over. Both these gentlemen were qualified opticians. MI. Webster succeeded MI. King and today his nephew MI. Johnson is in charge. In the early 1900's it was usual for jewellers to go around the district winding the clocks in the large mansion houses.

61. This card features the drawing room and fireplace of the Hili House, Upper Colquhoun Street. This house was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh in 1902 Ior G1asgow publisher Walter Blackie. It is considered to be perhaps the best of Mackintosh's domestic architecture. He designed not only the house and garden but the interior furniture and furnishings, carpets, light fittings, and even a doek. The house is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland and is open to the public throughout the year. This house is a mecca for architectural students and visitors from all over the world. It is the most well-known of all Helensburgh's beautiful mansion houses.

62. This card pictures 'The Mains' Helensburgh. This house is situated on Queen Streel. It is one of many beautiful houses and villas in the town. Local architects A.N. Patersen and Wm. Leiper designed several of these houses, 'Red Tower' and 'Drumadoon' were designed by Leiper. Bath are used today as nursing homes for the elderly. A.N. Paterson was responsible for designing 'Whincroft' and 'The Long Croft' as weil as The Clyde Street School and the War Memorial. One house which is considered to be one of the finest examples of domestic architecture is 'The White House', built in 1900 and designed by M.H. Baillie-Scott, a contemporary of Charles Rennie Mackintosh.

63. Drumgarve House. This lovely old house was the home of the Anderson family. Miss Annie T. Anderson M.B.E. J.P. lived at 'Innistore' James Street until her death at the age of 90. She was a daughter of William Anderson and Annie Templeton (of the well-known carpet firm). Her father had at one time been Provost of Helensburgh. She and her brothers and sisters gave this house and grounds to the Town Council to be used as a Public Library. The brass plaque on the wal! of the library staircase reads as folIows: 'Ternpleton Library, opened on 25th August 1950. Given to the People of Helensburgh in 1946 By the Sons and Daughters of William Anderson and his wife Ann Templeton. ' Some years later Miss Anderson gave a gift of money to the Town Council to finance the building of a smal! group of cottages in the grounds of Drumgarve House in front of the Library. These little cottages are known as Drumgarve Court.

JACK BUCHANAN

81t1TI.H ? OO.INI~. ,..r.. ???

64. Jack Buchanan, born in Helensburgh on 2nd April 1891, educated at Larchfield School and Glasgow Academy. His boyhood and lifelong friend was John Logie Baird, the inventor of television. Bath boys went to Larchfield School, where Jack was known as 'Chump' Buchanan. He was recognised as an accomplished musical comedy and review artist during the First World War. He then went on to become an international entertainer in the mid-twenties with his broadway successes. He was an outstanding performer in every sphere of the business, actor. producer, and director. He was a wonderful ambassador for his country, charming, debonair and always immaculately dressed. His career lasted from 1911 until his death of spinat cancer in 1956. He knew the value of a simple statement, for years his entry in the London telephone directory read simply Jack Buchanan.

65. Larchfield School Helensburgh. At one time this school was known as Wardiaw's Academy or Larchfield Academy. It was founded in 1845, then in 1919 it became a preparatory school for boys. In 1920 C. Day Lewis and W.H. Auden were listed among its teachers. Famous former pupils include Jack Buchanan, musical comedy star, John Logie Baird, inventor of television, and Sir James G. Fraser O.M., anthropologist and author of 'The Golden Bough'. In September 1978 Larchfield School was united with the girls school St. Bride's and becarne co-educational and the name changed to Lomond School. The Girls' School Company had established and run St. Bride's School, but the new Lomond School is run by an independent board of Govenars on a non-profit making basis.

66. Lt. Col. A.H. Paterson and Provost J. McLeod Williamson in May 1969, when Lt. Col. Paterson was presented with the Freedom of the Burgh of Helensburgh. He was the first and the last citizen to be given this honour by the Town Council, as local Government was re-organised in 1974. It then became part of the giant Strathclyde Region. Alister HamiJton Paterson lived at 'Kintillo' Suffolk Street. His father was A.N. Paterson, the local architect, who designed many houses and buildings in the town. He was educated at Larchfield School and

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek