Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2

Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Frank Shaw
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Leicestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6129-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 Grimms Lane (now New Buildings) in 1 924 with the Wesleyan Chapel and the junction with Stockwell Head on the left. On the right are Wood Street and the railings surrounding the Palladium Cinema.

10 Cast1e Street in about 1880 viewed from Market Place. The shop on the corner was Morris' the Ironmongers and next to it can be seen part ofthe 'Bull's Head' tavern. The proprietor was Ann Bass and the tavern was one ofthe major hostelries in town with over thirty rooms and stabling for more than a hundred harses.

11 A view up Queens Raad in 1924- from Southfield Raad. Princess Raad junction is on the left. Apart from parked cars and TV aerials and the lost trees the scene is little changed.

12 This must be one of the very earliest photographs of the town. Taken in 1860 it shows Station Raad looking towards the town centre. St. Mary's Church can be seen on the extreme right, but apart from the original buildings of the town in the distanee, everything else, so close to

the town centre, is still farmland. On the left is open land between Clarendon Raad and the Post Office. This was where travelling theatres and circuses would pitch. On the right is agriculturalland at what is now Priesthills Raad and Mount Raad. The raad is

a sea of mud and a cart stands on the side in the distance.

13 'D' Company ofthe 5th Leicestershire Regiment T.A. marching past Burbage Common gate on 6th August 1914, two days after the start of the First World War. They marched to and spent the night at Groby Schools, soon to join the 'Lions led by Donkeys' in the bloodbath that was to go on for the next four years.

14 Market Place in the

192 0 's, Simpkin and [ames on the right was a well-known and popular grocery and next to it is the Victoria Coffee House and lts 'Dining Rooms and Tea Rooms'. A market stall has been erected to the left of the lamppost and the 'Bull's Head' tavern (see photo 10) has been demolished and replaced by modern shops which ref1ect the rapid increase in the prosperity of the town. Flavells solicitors on the corner of Church Walk and the Midland Bank opposite can be clearly seen and remain largely unchanged, as do the shops on the right, although the names have changed. In the centre at the top can be seen the canopy of

W Gilder and Sons, a most respected tailoring concern.

1 5 Lower Bond Street in 1928 taken from outside the Police Station. Arkins factory dominates on the left and the shop on the corner swings round into Trinity Lane. Much ofthis fa├žade is totally unchanged, with the corner shop still in use as The Christian Bookshop.

16 Regent Street in 1875 as viewed from St. Mary's Church tower. It shows how the far side afRegent Street was developed before that which now contains the Edwards Centre, Bus Station,

Post Office ete. Every year in August this area was thronged with theAnnual Fair. Harses, cattle, pigs and sheep came to town from far and wide at a time when Hinckley was reeognized as the centre of a big

agricultural district. The junction of Regent Street and Coventry Road can be seen behind the extreme left-hand poplar, and in the centre foreground is a fine aerial view of Church Walk (see photo 67).

Regent Street was called Duckpaddle Lane, again reflecting its rural connection.

1 7 Hinckley Local Fire Brigade in 1 892. They drilled regularly once a month and it was about this time that they received their first uniforms and helmets. That may explain the photograph, as everything looks decidedly new. Back row, left to right: Andrew Jeffcote, Arthur Reynolds, Jack Bailey; ? Porter, Lieut. Tom Aucott and George WeHs. Front row, left to right: not known, Joe Hurst, not know.n, Alf Throne, Claud Peacey and Fire Captain WW Cooper. More information about the Fire Brigade is given in the introduetion.

18 A fine view of Derby Road in about 1910. On the right is the junction with New Street and in the distance is the factory at the junction with Leicester Road, which has since been dernolished and is now the site of B andQ.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek