Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2

Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Frank Shaw
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Leicestershire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6129-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hinckley in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 Factory Road in 1924 photographed from near its junction with Hollycroft. The whole of the factory and chimney on the right has now gone and the area has been redeveloped.

20 Castle Street at the turn of the century Pndmore's the Chemist, one ofthe town's most enduring businesses, can be seen on the left. It was established in 1 8 1 8 by Mr. Pridmore, who was something of an eccentric. He stood na nonsense from any ofhis customers and was extremely blunt. Stories about hirn were legendary! A cart can be seen in the street making deliveries.

1I11290

CASTLE STRE~.T. HI ?? CKLEY.

21 London Road in 1924. The junction with Spa Lane can be seen in the distanee. The Union Workhouse (see photo 53) was behind the iron railings on the right. London Road was at different times known as Burbage Road and Lutterworth Road and the scene is instantly recognisable today if you stand at the entrance to the College of Further Education.

22 [ohn Street in 1924 taken from the junction with Leicester Raad. The street scene has changed little but be-vond the junction with Highfield Raad on the left factories now dominate. The man in the raad seems to be showing off bis horse, which is certainly samething he could'rit do today in [ohn Street. The original rock wall on the left is still there and the trees have now matured.

23 Church Lads Brigade Review and Sports on WhitMonday 1907. Although the event was' at Sketchley', the photograph shows the C.L.B. proceeding along Regent Street, with the junction with Coventry Raad on the left. Sketchley was established as a tiny factory ofhosiery dyers in 1866 on the banks of the Sketchley Braak - hence the name - and continues to flourish to this day.

24 Procession passing the Post Office in Station Raad on 28th July 1909. Such processions, before the advent of

1. v., radio and cinema, were common and in fact each of the non -conformist chapels had their own processions, knows as 'The Treats'. The Post Office, built in 1902, had only been completed a few years earlier, and it and other properties in the photo remain almost unchanged today. But who was the criminal responsible for rendering over the beautiful 'ER' and 'Post Office 1902' on the corner entrance?

25 Lower Bond Street showing King Street on the left and a view thraugh to The Borough. The 'Blue Bell' lodging house was demolished in

1 93 1 to allow raad irnprovements at the junction with Mansion Street. ]ennings newsagents and tobacconists in the centre is now the site of the 'Union Hotel' car park. The 'Leicester Mercury' is praminently claiming '4

times largest sales' .

v , ??? - ~ - ?..?

26 This photograph could almost have come straight out of a Charles Dickens novel. It shows Council Road/Stockwell Head from the junction with King Street in about 1900. Notice that both the street and pavement areas are cobbled, the usual method of paving at that time. It was comparitively cheap, environmentally friendIy, and certainly hard wearing. Stockwell Head was formerly called Stocken Head, and at its junction with Baines Lane stood the 'House of Correction' . The cottages on the right are now the entrance to Hansom Court.

27 Park Raad in 1930, looking towards London Road from just before the junction with Queens Road. The trees have now all matured, but otherwise little has changed over the years.

28 The BoroughTheatre in 192 9, with the film 'Uncle Torn's Cabin' showing. This was the first cinema to be built in Hincldey. It opened on Monday, 7 th April 1 91 3 and the manager announced it was 'the world from an arrnchair, with the finest pictures projeered by flickerless apparatus' . Sound arrived in September 1930 and after reconstruction it was renamed the Odeon in]anuary 1936. It finally closed on Saturday, 3rd june 1961 and was demolished soon afterwards. It is now the site of the Nationwide Building Society.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek