Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.S. Worsdale
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4858-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. In this picture of Hoo beaeh looking east ean be seen a long wharf and in the distanee a Thames barge. To the left is GuU Down Plantation, to the right hand Hoo Ness and, possibly the tops of the two forts Hoo and Damet. In the far distanee ean be seen the mast of a barge on Hoo Flats, a large expanse of mud during low tide.

-c' ?

10. The 'Queen of Kent' was built by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Company of Troon in 1916 as a minesweeper and named, originally H.M.S., 'Atherstone' of the Ascot (or racecourse) class. She measured 235 feet x 29 feet and had a draught of 9 feet 6 inches and a gross tonnage of 798 tons. She had compound diagonal engines. The two funnels were typical of this class and only paddle boats of the Ascot class had cruiser sterns. Normal service was from Chatham via Southend and Margate to Calais and Boulogne. In 1948 she was sold to Southampton Steam Packet Company and was renamed 'Lorna Doone' and went to Bournemouth for day trips to the Isle of Wight, Southsea and 'round the Island'.

??

11. Of the observation tower and landing stage nothing remains today. The tower built of concrete was 'blown' down in the 1980's whilst the landing stage was removed thirty or forty years ago. Military personnel and stores were loaded, or unloaded, here for the crossing to Sheerness or Grain tower about half a mile from the shore. The people of the Isle of Grain were permitted to use this facility like the gentleman and his daughter with luggage obviously waiting to be rowed across to Sheerness.

12. In this picture of CockleshelI beach can be seen the photographer's car stationed at the landward end of the pier - which remains here to this day. In the distance to the left can be seen the Sheemess skyline and to the right the low Sheppey coastline in the area of the entrance to the Swale. The number of cars and the number of motor cycles with side-cars is an indication of the popularity of the beach in the 1930's. It also indicates that the river at that time was comparatively clean. The car nearest to the camera has a registration number of RK 85?, and the second one along has the number KT 605. That there are no 'hard-tops' is interesting and the motor cycle and side-car are now a rare sight.

13. CockleshelI beach and pier near Port Victoria, was a popular resort between the wars but during the last war, like many of our beaches, it was inaccessible for defence reasons. By 1959 and the advent of the oil refinery close by, the 'seaside' had been overtaken by industrial development. The car at the beginning of the pier, it is believed, belonged to the photographer and appears in other pictures. Between the supports ofthe pier can be seen the fort at Sheemess.

14. Looking down the Estuary and over the Grain Flats of shining mud, as in this picture, one becomes aware that the sea arose to weIl above the ankles of the gentleman and his son. To the left are a smaIl wharf and landing stage which has, long ago, disappeared in the provision of sea defences to stem the advance of the eneroaehing sea. The mast and sail of a Thames barge is in evidence and it is believed that this wharf was used for the loading of barges carrying manure and some rubbish.

15. Passing round the eastem extremity of the Peninsula one reaches the beach at Allhallows. This was very popular and usually crowded with trippers during the summer months. Visitors from far and wide came by any wheeled vehicle including the popular char-à-banc. The gentleman wearing bis straw 'boater' and high collar and his suit on the beach was typica! of the early 1920's, as were the dress and headgear of the !adies. The bathing tent was a common sight on most beaches of that era.

16. Of this collection of views the railway halt (complete with train approaching) and that of the 'Cock Hotel' and Post Office do not appear elsewhere. The Grain halt was situated at the level crossing on the road going toward Stoke. The 'Cock' has become the 'Cat and Cracker' and the Post Office in the picture has become The 'Hogarth', also a public house. To the right of the 'Hogarth' further down the High Street, toward the church can be found Prospect Cottages (now one cottage) one of which was the Post Office in even earlier days.

17. This card was posted in Hoo in 1927. The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul and the picture of Mackey's Court are not shown elsewhere. Mr. Lawreance of the Post Office and shop at Lower Stoke took the pictures including the odd one out, that of the beach at Allhallows. The Mill quickly deteriorated during the following few years and, apart from the base, had disappeared by the middle ofthe 1930's.

18. This card was posted in February 1915 and shows four scenes which were not otherwise available. They are The Vicarage, top right, the two views of St. Margaret's Church, bottom left, and the view of the Bird Sanctuary, Northward Hill, bottom right. The Northward Hill Sanctuary is famous forits Heronry.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek