Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.S. Worsdale
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4858-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. The sheep shearing competition, as here near New Hall Farm, held annually, was an important event in the farming calandar. In the picture, clippers, rather than shears were being used. It is interesting to see th at in three cases the machines were operated by women. It appears also that the machines varied in construction from large drive wheels to small ones but whatever the size of wheel the principle was the same. Through gears the wheel drove a flexible wire inside a casing which, in turn, through a crank produced the scissor motion of a row of moving blades passing backwards and forwards over a fixed row of teeth to provide the 'clipper' cutting effect.

20. Hoo Lodge and Cockham Farm are to the left of this scene. The pond has now, probably, been replaced by a chicken house. The public footpath, leading from Elm Avenue to Hoo, and given the number 105, goes from left to right along the line ofthe hedgerow, Elm Avenue being approximately a half mile to the right. Farming has changed, and so has the scene!

21. Little is known about Bell's Farm but it appears to be a typical farm house with 'out' buildings. The sign on the porch says TEAS and there is another sign in the lower portion of the left hand ground floor window. Also between the hedge and the left hand fence, the backs of two chairs are just visible. This leads one to believe that this farmhouse was used as a shop or, perhaps, a 'beer-house', or both. The farm was part of Bell's Hard, a small fishing hamIet and smugglers' haunt.

22. 'Bay Tree' is another typical farmhouse to be found in the Hundred. To save the liability for window tax the windows sometimes, as here, were blocked in, giving the house a somewhat 'blind' look. The three ladies are known; standing, in the middle is Lucy Mary Higglesden, who married a Mr. Smith, a relative of the other two. There is an account of the wedding in the Roehester and Chatham News of June 1898. The other two are Violet and Edith Smith.

P'

"

23, Home Farm on the Isle of Grain is an early Victorian building and just escaped inclusion in the land used for the oil refinery. The road has been straightened and the elm trees succumbed to the 1960 attacks of the Dutch Elm Disease. During the war Mr. C. Higgs was the occupant and he appears in the picture of the Grain Platoon of the Home Guard, The land required for the new power station, behind the farmhouse, included a large proportion of the farming land. The land which remained was not sufficient to sustain independent profitable working and Mr. Higgs retired and moved from the area.

24. Decoy Farmhouse is on St. Mary's Marsh below Northward HilI, the Bird Sanctuary and Heronry. The house is not occupied now but is distinctive with its thatched roof and 'Clap' boarding. At the time of this photograph, in the middle of the 1930's there were so many pairs of Herons breeding that additional accommodation was offered and accepted! Without the poles the birds would not have nested.

25. This photograph of Dalham Farmhouse was taken at the beginning of the century and shows its typical style. It was built about 1800 and 'clap' boarded as was fairly common practice at the time. The road leads to High Halstow. The farm in 1905 as now was in the possession of the Osenton Family. The shed and the wall which is seen to be leaning here have been removed. From a different view this farm was a subj eet for a watercolour painting by Rowland Hilder.

26. Stables and a farmyard like these at Dalham, if in use, are a rarety in the 1980's. The bam, the thatched building to the right hand, and the tal! building at right-angles to the house are na langer there. The latter was burnt down. This picture and the one showing the front of the house should be viewed together to obtain the best impression of this picturesque set of farm buildings.

27. Solomans Farm House, it is said, was originally two cottages put together about 1780. In 1880 an extension was added to the rear of the house but other additions too were made. Nevertheless the front elevation remains as it was in 1904/5 when this picture was taken. MI. Bertie Osenton stands at his porch (he was grandfather to the present occupier) and looks toward the photographer who was a relative and skilful with his camera and at developing and printing.

28. This picture, taken at the same time as that of the Farm House, shows Solomons Farm buildings and some of the animais. The white gate in the middle distance allows access to a 'hump' with fencing on each side of the track. The hump is a bridge over the Hundred of Hoo Railway branch of the South East and Chatham Railway, which was laid past this point about 1881. The barn, as you will see is thatched, a far more common sight then, than it is nowadays. The large harses, probably 'Shires', were a familiar sight too. MI. Bertie Osenton again surveys the scene.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek